U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2013, 05:38 PM

1,137 posts, read 1,138,354 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
...was disturbing to see a relatively small pile of coins on my night stand and realize that it was like $30 - would much rather have a note to simply fold and carry
When paying in cash, many Americans simply pay with a bill, then plop whatever coins in change into their pockets and ultimately dump them into some container or other when they get home that night. And there they sit and sit and sit until somebody decides it might be time to to take it all over to a CoinStar machine. That's a waste of resources.

With larger denomination coins, you will have to relearn the ancient (as in decades old) art of actually paying for things with coins. It's not that hard. You can do it!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2013, 05:48 PM

8,938 posts, read 15,870,714 times
Why though?

Bills are by far much more convenient and easier to haul

There is no "art form" in how you pay for a transaction....... you don't get bonus points for putting down pretty stacks of various coins, maybe shape them into a word or some kind of bar graph feature

Tender is tender - just one is a bit more of a pain in the butt, is easier to lose, etc .......... don't even get me started on the random 2 1/2 Guilder coin that the Euro thankfully killed

Old 12-02-2013, 06:28 PM

1,137 posts, read 1,138,354 times
Quote:
Why though? Bills are by far much more convenient and easier to haul.
We should have bills replace all coins then?

Quote:
There is no "art form" in how you pay for a transaction...
It was a figure of speech. You'll have to reacquire the forgotten habit of taking coins back out of your pocket again before you get home and dump them all into whatever container, effectively taking them out of circulation. Is that better?

Quote:
Tender is tender - just one is a bit more of a pain in the butt, is easier to lose, etc .......... don't even get me started on the random 2 1/2 Guilder coin that the Euro thankfully killed
Eventually, we will just go the way of the Canadians and so many others. You can't swim against the tide of reason forever. Canadians were once against a dollar coin as well. Now the "loonie" is beloved from coast to coast.

Old 12-02-2013, 06:34 PM

2,409 posts, read 2,494,452 times
Quote:
Why though?

Bills are by far much more convenient and easier to haul
Paper notes are very unhygienic. The more quickly they change hands the more bacteria and everything else nasty they collect. I'm all for using coins for low denominations.

Old 12-02-2013, 08:32 PM

1,430 posts, read 1,845,755 times
Kill all coins but dimes, a (much smaller) 50 cent piece, and a small, heavy dollar coin.

Old 12-02-2013, 08:42 PM

1,705 posts, read 1,525,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
A note on the half-dollar, they would circulate if people didn't snag and keep them. I'm old enough to remember the Franklin 1/2 dollar being incredibly common in use until the Kennedy came out. That's when 1/2 dollars disappeared.
I have heard that. The only time I was given a half-dollar in change from a transaction was in a remote part of VT or NH. I stared at it sort of happy to see one, and the guy asked if I am from out of town.

I kept it all these years.

Old 12-02-2013, 08:48 PM

1,705 posts, read 1,525,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fairlaker View Post
We should have bills replace all coins then?

It was a figure of speech. You'll have to reacquire the forgotten habit of taking coins back out of your pocket again before you get home and dump them all into whatever container, effectively taking them out of circulation. Is that better?

Eventually, we will just go the way of the Canadians and so many others. You can't swim against the tide of reason forever. Canadians were once against a dollar coin as well. Now the "loonie" is beloved from coast to coast.

I would take the loonie.

IMHO, the dollar coins failed because the mint tried to make a political statements while also introducing a new "gold" colored coin. If they had stuck to the Eisenhower design or used the silver eagle design there would have been much less resistance.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi..._Proof_Obv.png
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi..._Proof_Rev.png

Old 12-03-2013, 01:34 AM

42,668 posts, read 71,638,476 times
People have an amazing capacity for adapting to new conditions everywhere in the world except America, where people can't even shift to the metric system..

When I was in China, in 1996, there were no coins at all, there was nothing but paper, including tiny bills the size of Monopoly money. People got along just fine.

I was in St. Pierre et Miquelon the day they switched from the old CFA Franc to the European French Franc. CFA was paper only, even in the smallest denominations, and many people had gone their whole lives without ever touching a coin. People had dazed expressions in shops, when they got coins in change, because they didn't know where to put them to carry them around. I imagine that they very quickly figured it out, and it was business as usual within a few days.

In Brazil, in the early 90s, there were no coins, because inflation was so steep that all the coins in circulation quickly lost their value, and there was no time to mint new ones. So people that were used to coins had to accustom themselves quickly to paper money in the smallest denominations. Payphones in Mexico were free around 1980, because inflation had rendered all the coins valueless, and the phone company just stopped requiring them.

Old 12-03-2013, 01:49 AM

5,201 posts, read 4,210,338 times
You are not seeing the big picture here: the dollar has declined about 98% since we went off the gold standard, and this is why small coins are increasingly worthless. This has happened as a result of Washington's purposeful devaluation of the currency, and the economic effect is that the rich get richer while the working class gets poorer. And retirees spend their whole lives saving, to find their nest egg wiped out by Washington's criminal policies.

And it that isn't enough, "EVERY fiat currency since the Romans first began the practice in the first century has ended in devaluation and eventual collapse, of not only the currency, but of the economy that housed the fiat currency as well." Fiat Currency

You think pennies are worthless today; dollars will be worthless tomorrow--all of them.

Old 12-03-2013, 02:17 AM

1,825 posts, read 1,351,465 times
You make too much sense to be elected president, but just promising to correct these 2 things would be almost enough to win the presidency. Most voters don't think clearly on some issues. The goal of our govt seems to be to lose even more. Best wishes.

[quote) I dislike dollar bills in my wallet as much as pennies in my pocket. I don't mind dollar coins and would rather dig one out of my pocket for a vending machine than try to stuff a crumpled up bill into one and have it spit it back out half the time. Bills should be for larger transactions, and coins for smaller. The cent has outlived it's usefulness, as has the dollar bill. It would save the government lots of money.

Thoughts?[/quote]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or