Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2013, 10:32 PM

3,016 posts, read 3,891,315 times

Advertisements

. . . . lived on welfare at one point and became a truck driver - and the baby from a poor family ended up going to private schools, becoming wealthy and successful in real estate.

Switched at birth: Rich parents' son sues for life of poverty
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2013, 12:47 AM

1,959 posts, read 4,640,750 times
The rules of life 1: Life ain't fair 2: It's all about timing and luck 3: There is no justice.

Learn it, live it. No doubt, he got a raw deal. Environment does not guarantee success, but it is a pre-requisite for it. These stories just confirm the obvious. That's one aspect of life I don't mind being normative about. Best he can do is make up for what he forewent as quickly as he can, in his newfound relationship with his rich family. It may not matter at this point but it beats driving that truck for the rest of his life.

Old 12-05-2013, 02:01 AM

2,288 posts, read 3,220,549 times
One hit the lotto and one got the shaft, but money doesn't mean more love and attention. I'd like to know more about this story. How does the other one feel, and do his sibs accept him as one of them? I'd like to know details of their upbringings. Very interesting story, thanks for sharing.

Old 12-05-2013, 04:30 AM

2,991 posts, read 4,265,899 times
While this is an interesting anecdote, much more can be learned through systematic studies of identical twins who are separated at an early age.

Old 12-05-2013, 05:24 AM

26,124 posts, read 14,759,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamish Forbes View Post
While this is an interesting anecdote, much more can be learned through systematic studies of identical twins who are separated at an early age.
Good point.

There are, however, studies that show that two parent homes have kids that are less likely to become dead beat dads or single moms, wind up poor, drop out of school, or wind up in jail.

It makes perfect sense, as life is busy and 2 parents can take care of kids 100% better than 1 parent in most cases.

I bring this up, because how you raise a kid and lessons you teach them are important.

Old 12-05-2013, 09:28 AM

28,896 posts, read 53,932,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
Good point.

There are, however, studies that show that two parent homes have kids that are less likely to become dead beat dads or single moms, wind up poor, drop out of school, or wind up in jail.

It makes perfect sense, as life is busy and 2 parents can take care of kids 100% better than 1 parent in most cases.

I bring this up, because how you raise a kid and lessons you teach them are important.
Yep. As I always tell my children that your life by the time you hit 40 is pretty much the sum total of the decisions you made. Sure, there are exceptions such as chronic diseases or Acts of God. But if you are a normal person of normal health, you make decisions every day that either contribute or detract from your future happiness and financial status.

My middle child was making a solid B in his rigorous advanced biology class. Blew off an end-of-grading period assignment. Now he has a low C. And yet he was applying to some pretty prestigious schools and is now freaking out, busting his ass to play catch up. He couldn't believe how one bad score totally wrecked his grade in this class, which will likely have an effect on his GPA, which will have an effect on his odds for getting accepted.

And it's that way in our financial lives, too. Let's see. Do you just drink whatever coffee your company provides, or do you get whatever confection you like from Starbucks @ $4.50 a pop? Do that once a day, @ $4.50 a day, and that's $90 a month. That's $1,180 a year. And if you think of it in pre-tax income, you're really spending close to $2,000 a year in coffee. That $2,000 would look a lot nicer in your 401K and, over the course of 35-40 years, would buy all the coffee you want later in life. Same thing goes for eating out versus cooking at home or even just eating leftovers.

Now, mind you, I'm not one of those crazy people who never splurge. It's just that you really have to understand the consequences of each individual decision you make and how those consequences accumulate over time.

So in a big way, one's attention to education and work are the same thing. Do you crouch in the sprinter's blocks at 4:55, waiting for the clock to strike 5:00? Or do you stay an extra 20-30 minutes to make sure you're prepared for the next day? Do you adamantly refuse to attend industry functions, or do you invest a happy hour a month to network and create relationships? Do you have a one-night stand with a woman you don't know, or do you wait to make sure she is a stable partner in life? Many a guy's plans in life have been ruined because they didn't bother to use protection, and literally pay the price in monthly child support installments.

Funny how hard this concept is for people to accept.

Old 12-05-2013, 12:25 PM

36,960 posts, read 40,892,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breeinmo. View Post
One hit the lotto and one got the shaft, but money doesn't mean more love and attention. I'd like to know more about this story. How does the other one feel, and do his sibs accept him as one of them? I'd like to know details of their upbringings. Very interesting story, thanks for sharing.
Apparently he gets together with the siblings fairly often. It was actually the birth family who initiated the search for him.

It would be interesting to know how the guy who was switched into the wealthy family reacted, too.

Old 12-05-2013, 12:32 PM

36,960 posts, read 40,892,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamish Forbes View Post
This is fascinating:

Double Identity New Jersey Twins, Reared Apart, Were Reunited After 31 Years. They Were Astounded By Their Similar Personalities. But They Shouldn't Have Been. According To Researchers, Heredity Plays A Much Larger Role In Shaping Lives Than Was Prev

Old 12-05-2013, 12:32 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,360,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydive Outlaw View Post
. . . . lived on welfare at one point and became a truck driver - and the baby from a poor family ended up going to private schools, becoming wealthy and successful in real estate.

Switched at birth: Rich parents' son sues for life of poverty
Well, what about pulling himself up by his bootstraps?

The guy had rich man DNA. Should have made him a better competitor. After all, wealth is the direct result of hard work and superior ability, not privileged position and connections, right?

Old 12-05-2013, 12:33 PM

455 posts, read 894,953 times
To avoid coming off as racially insensitive, I'll just trail off here...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics