Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2014, 07:29 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,286,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hartford_renter View Post
The Rights of man do not give one man the right to steal money from another.

Ever heard of No Taxation Without Representation? Social Security was enacted by FDR and when the supreme court wouldn't uphold it he stacked the court with his own appointments.

I think you need to brush up on your history

Benjamin Franklin once said - "when the people can vote themselves money it will herald the end of the Republic"

Well we're basically at that point and the 18 Trillion of Debt is probably going to do it.

and you are the problem
No taxation without representation applied to a situation where the colonists were taxed by Britain, but could not elect members to the British Parliament. I hope you can see where I am going with this right now.

You vote to elect a Senator and a member of the House of Representatives. You can vote them out of office any time you want. Many have been voted out of office and I am sure in 2014, many more will be voted out.

We have taxation with representation these days. You can cry and moan about it all you want. That's how it works.

Last edited by markg91359; 01-08-2014 at 08:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2014, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
America is generally not a simple "popular vote" voting system - look at the electoral college. The early guys were worried about the "tyranny of the majority" and included systems to ameliorate it.
True, but that very system has resulted in the passage of laws like the Social Security Act of 1938.

Old 01-08-2014, 07:44 PM

473 posts, read 796,381 times
Quote:
Again you never answered the question which was...

What gives you the right to tell me that I have to enroll in SS program? Your somewhat answers is that

- it was enacted a long time ago
- some people don't want to save for their own retirement

Well I don't want to participate, I work as an Actuary and I know the math. It is wealth redistribution from wealthy to poor and that makes it a scam.

Your arguments make me feel ill. You believe that you have a right to my money and you believe you have a right to tell me how to save for my own retirement.

We tried that and look what it got us? A retirement system that hurts people saving for their own retirement. It takes from the workers and gives to those who don't want to work.

Ever heard of Disability insurance? Mine through work cost about 40$ per month and it covers more than SS disability. That BTW is going broke by 2016, there is massive fraud by poor people who don't want to work. The government run Disability program is a complete failure better to let the private sector handle it. But we have people like you that love telling others what to do.

No thanks
Is that for long term disability benefits? Will you qualify for Medicare after being on for two years? Also, let's not forget that Title XVI Disability benefits are needs based and do not require contributions for entitlement.

Old 01-09-2014, 03:40 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,443,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
No taxation without representation applied to a situation where the colonists were taxed by Britain, but could not elect members to the British Parliament. I hope you can see where I am going with this right now.

You vote to elect a Senator and a member of the House of Representatives. You can vote them out of office any time you want. Many have been voted out of office and I am sure in 2014, many more will be voted out.

We have taxation with representation these days. You can cry and moan about it all you want. That's how it works.

What's to stop the majority from taxing an unpopular minority or activity?

Old 01-09-2014, 03:45 AM

Quote:
enefits.

Ever heard of Disability insurance? Mine through work cost about 40$ per month and it covers more than SS disability. That BTW is going broke by 2016, there is massive fraud by poor people who don't want to work. The government run Disability program is a complete failure better to let the private sector handle it. But we have people like you that love telling others what to do.

No thanks

Poor people who don't want to work get poor benefits. Middle class people who don't want to work get higher benefits; i.e. they cost taxpayers more than do poor people.

Old 01-09-2014, 03:48 AM

106,579 posts, read 108,713,667 times
if they didn't pay much into the system the non working middle class get the same poor benefit.

Old 01-09-2014, 04:21 AM

4,749 posts, read 4,320,502 times
So that the (currently) people on Social Security can receive their checks...

It's not going into a savings account like it should.

Old 01-09-2014, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
if they didn't pay much into the system the non working middle class get the same poor benefit.

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

If they didn't pay much into the system, howTF can they be called middle class?

Old 01-09-2014, 05:23 AM

106,579 posts, read 108,713,667 times
Thats my point. You said it.

FREEMKT"
Poor people who don't want to work get poor benefits. Middle class people who don't want to work get higher benefits; i.e. they cost taxpayers more than do poor people."

Old 01-09-2014, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
What's to stop the majority from taxing an unpopular minority or activity?
The Bill of Rights would stop the very worst forms of taxation. For example, you couldn't have a tax against people based on their race, their sex, or religion. A tax on people with higher income? That's not prohibited.

However, a lot of you people seem to miss something very critical. The Constitution doesn't endorse a particular economic theory like laisse faire capitalism. I think that was done on purpose. The Founding Fathers wrote much of the document in vague general language because (1) It was the product of political compromise; (2) Keeping it vague and general required interpretation and gives it the flexibility to last over time.

Please try to remember that even if you like Ayn Rand novels, that she didn't write the Constitution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics