Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2014, 08:40 AM

29,823 posts, read 24,902,718 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
No one said it would improve the menu. In theory, it's to speed up your dining experience. Getting that table turned over as fast as possible and as many times as possible is the name of the game.
Kind of what I was talking about here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
You know what kind of bugs me about this mega giant corporate take over of America? The focus never seems to be on offering an overwhelming superior service or product. It's all about how they can make as much money as possible in the process of offering boring and uninspired products and services. Example... Applebees installing tablets, which some boast will eliminate wait staff. Ok, so by reducing your staff, how is this going to improve the quality of the lame menu items exactly???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2014, 09:56 AM

9,981 posts, read 8,590,580 times
$15 is too high. I think $10 is ok to start.

Old 01-04-2014, 10:10 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,968,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
That depends entirely on whether McD raised prices too high, not what they pay their employees.
Yes, McD's might lose money and sing Kumbaya with the burger flippers.

Old 01-04-2014, 11:08 AM

3,971 posts, read 4,039,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
That depends entirely on whether McD raised prices too high, not what they pay their employees.
You believe they wouldn't pass on higher fees to the consumer?

Old 01-04-2014, 11:38 AM

2,420 posts, read 3,849,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
This again? Sheesh.

---------------------------------------

Very old joke:

Q: What is the most common phrase spoken by a college grad with a Liberal Arts degree?

A: "You want fries with that?"

---------------------------------------

Simply graduating from a college does not and should not guarantee anyone any particular job, or any job, at any particular wage.

The school teaches what courses the student pays them to take. It is up to the student to choose a course of study that will provide him/her with knowledge and skills that an employer will find valuable, or that the student can use to start his/her own business.

If you want to pay to get a degree in Basket Weaving, that's fine. But if there is no one who wants to hire basket weavers? Tough cookies, you chose a useless skill and that isn't anyone else's fault.
BINGO! I agree with this 100%. Just because you went to college and piled on a huge debt does not entitle you or guarantee you a job. Many college grads have obtained degrees that will not help them to find a good paying job due to the constant evolving business world. Colleges and universities need to do a better job in consulting with students about the degree desired and provide job outlooks pertaining to that area of study that the student is interested in.

-Cheers.

Old 01-04-2014, 12:01 PM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
..........Which one of you wants to work for $!5 an hour flipping burgers or fries or making shakes?
I don't actually get paid anything when I am grilling up burgers or making fries. Cooking gets done every night and nobody has me on a salary for doing it.

However, I really do not want to make a living working as a cashier at a fast food restaurant. That is why I have made the effort to qualify myself to earn a better income. Which is what people do when they don't want to spend their life working in a fast food joint.

If I were out of work and no income and could not get anything else, I would work for $10 an hour at the local fast food place. I think they are paying just slightly more than $10 an hour. Because that is what you do if you need to support yourself and there is nothing else available. But why would you not learn how to do something that pays better, if you are in a position to need a paycheck to support yourself?

And that is just another rhetorical question because there seems to be a large percentage of the population who are reluctant to put any effort into qualifying themselves for a good paying jobs and there is an enormous chunk of the population that will not take a good job when it is offered if it involves any over time, weekends, or nights.

If their time is too precious and they refuse to work an extra hour a day, then they are left with jobs that don't require any extra effort. If they can't be bothered to educate themselves, then they are left with the jobs that don't require any thought. Those are the jobs that don't pay large salaries.

Old 01-04-2014, 12:18 PM

1,380 posts, read 2,397,877 times
What I think a lot of people are missing is that not everybody is capable of a "career." I know in America we like to believe that everybody is special and has some great talent. The truth is most people don't. But even if they did, there aren't enough big deal jobs to go around, so people would still work fast food. You eithet want these people to have some dignity or you don't. It's not that complicated.

Old 01-04-2014, 12:23 PM

15,945 posts, read 12,285,067 times
more and more people becoming nurses and pharmacists because there's nothing else left to do that pays anything will eventually result in college educated careers having less pay. Supply and demand... so the same people that say you need to get an education and go $50k in debt to better yourself will eventually be saying that hey, you can't find a job in your field? Go to school and rack up another $20k in debt and switch fields.

Personally I support anyone that holds a job and think there should be an 'adult minimum wage' that is higher than what we currently have. I have no problem with people in high school earning a bit less however. As america, we should be held to a higher standard. We shouldn't merely pay a wage that the 'free market dictates' even if it's 4 bucks an hour... what does that say about us as a country and people? We are supposed to be first world here. With automation and outsourcing, there will always be more people around than there are jobs. It's just a new reality that they haven't figured out how to fully make work aside from simply pumping up the system with ever increasing debt to subsidize everything.

Free energy, and food replicators would solve a few problems... though food replicators could definitely introduce new problems... all those well intentioned people that think we should feed every hungry person in the world... suddenly the population explodes to 10 billion...

Old 01-04-2014, 01:23 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,968,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post

And that is just another rhetorical question because there seems to be a large percentage of the population who are reluctant to put any effort into qualifying themselves for a good paying jobs and there is an enormous chunk of the population that will not take a good job when it is offered if it involves any over time, weekends, or nights.
That is why it is terrific that McJobs pay McWages. If one does not think themselves worthy of an investment, why should their boss feel differently?

Old 01-04-2014, 03:42 PM

11,143 posts, read 10,709,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redrocket2 View Post
Is this a joke? $15/hr translates to around $30,000/yr and I know many college graduates making that kind of money in professional fields. So, is everyone's salary going to be also adjusted upwards? So if a burger flipper is going to make $15/hr then can we set a minimum salary for all college graduates? Say... no college grad should earn below $50,000/yr
Actually, even though I'm against having a minimum wage I could somewhat support this idea - if for no other reason than to turn the tables on the Progressives who are pushing for an arbitrary wage for unskilled labor. We could do a wage scale that requires a certain pay for the level of education required for the job.

Masters Degree - $150,000 minimum
Bachelors Degree - $100,000 minimum
Associates Degree - $75,000 minimum
High School Diploma - $50,000 minimum
No Degree Required - $30,000 minimum

I wonder how long it will take for someone who supports raising the minimum wage for unskilled labor to come along and tell us what's wrong with this plan?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics