Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2014, 06:22 PM

20,707 posts, read 19,349,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Actually, even though I'm against having a minimum wage I could somewhat support this idea - if for no other reason than to turn the tables on the Progressives who are pushing for an arbitrary wage for unskilled labor. We could do a wage scale that requires a certain pay for the level of education required for the job.

Masters Degree - $150,000 minimum
Bachelors Degree - $100,000 minimum
Associates Degree - $75,000 minimum
High School Diploma - $50,000 minimum
No Degree Required - $30,000 minimum

I wonder how long it will take for someone who supports raising the minimum wage for unskilled labor to come along and tell us what's wrong with this plan?
We have had a policy of asset inflation since 2008. So just curious , why all the rage here? If it were not for the international trading partner problem, it would be almost as good a policy as allowing creditors to go bankrupt because the only real economic policy would be to reduce private debt. In short we have too much financial savings, too much rent seeking , and too little investment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2014, 07:06 PM

18 posts, read 48,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
The market indeed decides. If a business can find employees to work for $7/hour, why on earth would they pay $10/hour?

In 2011, WalMart's gross profit was $15.7 billion. Making that kind of moolah, they could afford to pay their employees better wages. But when they get 23,000 applications for 600 positions, what possible reason would they have to raise wages?

A McDonald's franchise owner does not look at how much profit he makes each month to determine how much he can afford to pay his employees. He looks at how difficult it is to get employees.

I understand that in the Dakotas, there are hamburger joints offering $15/hour. Are they doing this because they realize oil field workers will pay more for hamburgers so therefore their profit margin is higher and they can pay their employees more?

Or because they can't get anyone to flip burgers for $10/hour?
Same as the when the Alaskan pipeline was being built. Somewhat of a boom market. The cost of everything tends to go up as well. It's due to the oil business. $15.00/hour for the folks working the counters is correct- but for how long?

Old 01-04-2014, 07:38 PM

11,143 posts, read 10,704,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
We have had a policy of asset inflation since 2008. So just curious , why all the rage here? If it were not for the international trading partner problem, it would be almost as good a policy as allowing creditors to go bankrupt because the only real economic policy would be to reduce private debt. In short we have too much financial savings, too much rent seeking , and too little investment.
What rage? I giggle like a giddy school girl every time someone argues in favor of raising the minimum wage to $15 an hour. Mainly because those who are arguing for it show an absolute lack of knowledge about how the labor market works. Now, would you care to address the positives and/or negatives of my idea?

Old 01-04-2014, 08:17 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Quote:
Actually, even though I'm against having a minimum wage I could somewhat support this idea - if for no other reason than to turn the tables on the Progressives who are pushing for an arbitrary wage for unskilled labor. We could do a wage scale that requires a certain pay for the level of education required for the job.

Masters Degree - $150,000 minimum
Bachelors Degree - $100,000 minimum
Associates Degree - $75,000 minimum
High School Diploma - $50,000 minimum
No Degree Required - $30,000 minimum

I wonder how long it will take for someone who supports raising the minimum wage for unskilled labor to come along and tell us what's wrong with this plan?
I don't support raising it above about $10, but your idea wouldn't work. Employers would simply downgrade their educational requirements to avoid paying that much for people that don't contribute that kind of value to their bottom line. Getting "family wages" is not a right. It has to earned.

Old 01-04-2014, 08:20 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,962,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
. Getting "family wages" is not a right. It has to earned.

, better still make sure your Free Market Value is at least a tad above your obligations to others. Having kids while never working more than a McJob is a forseeable train wreck.

Old 01-04-2014, 08:39 PM

Quote:
What rage? I giggle like a giddy school girl every time someone argues in favor of raising the minimum wage to $15 an hour. Mainly because those who are arguing for it show an absolute lack of knowledge about how the labor market works. Now, would you care to address the positives and/or negatives of my idea?
I agree entirely that raising minimum wage does not work the way the many people think it does. Wages will simply adjust to the market. Its effects are purely financial. But then that is the problem. In an efficient market its absurd, but in this case it would help liquidate private debt. Its one of the worst ways to do it but we haven't picked any way. Were you as giddy when they did essentially the same thing with assets? I guess it is a little funny to see people decide one day they understand economics, but then I realize its ruining the country.

Last edited by gwynedd1; 01-04-2014 at 08:47 PM..

Old 01-04-2014, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I don't support raising it above about $10, but your idea wouldn't work. Employers would simply downgrade their educational requirements to avoid paying that much for people that don't contribute that kind of value to their bottom line. Getting "family wages" is not a right. It has to earned.
Raising minimum wage actually would force more people to earn their wages, if that is they could be prevented from using their new cash for rent seeking.

Old 01-04-2014, 08:57 PM

403 posts, read 867,130 times
By upping the min wage to $15/hr for unskilled labor demeans those of us in skilled jobs & decreases the value of skilled workers. The only "unskilled" workers that should receive a higher pay are those in risk jobs - Security, dangerous machinery...jobs w risk, besides grease splatter.

Old 01-04-2014, 09:02 PM

373 posts, read 589,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
Many of your burger flippers ARE college grads...they just know a little more about literature and what not.
and, of course, they can define the word "stereotype."

[separate thread: how many days after you started college that first year did you first hear the word "stereotype" explained? (for me it was 2 days into it)]

Old 01-04-2014, 09:05 PM

2,949 posts, read 5,498,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redrocket2 View Post
College grads should not be flipping burgers...if they are then that is a separate problem in itself and a very serious one.
Most college grads today have an educational level equal to what a high school diploma was years ago. Everybody and their brother gets a college degree these days. I wonder how some of the young college grads I meet today even got through high school, much less college. It seems the public school system has dumbed down. Before anybody gets all offended and gets their panties in a wad, I said a lot of college grads these days...NOT ALL. So please dont come on here and tell me how smart you are and how much money you make. You are probably not one of those that I am talking about.

In some of the retail places, fast food rest., coffee shops, etc. that I visit, I am amazed at the language and lack of fundamental grammar. I ask, and a lot of them have either a degree or they are attending college.

Back in the day, the people working the register had to make their own change. They had to have some level of math skill and think on their feet. It also seemed like their grasp of the Enlish Language was a lot better. So I understand how a lot of college kids today, work in fast food. Too bad you don't get the same service that you did back in the day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics