Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2014, 09:37 AM

40 posts, read 47,456 times

Advertisements

Are the big retailers such as Amazon, Ebay, Netflx, and Redbox ruining the economy? They are convincing people to stop going to stores and buy online. Then, large corporations from the 60s and earlier such as Sears, JCPenny, and Blockbuster are going bye-bye soon. Is the online shopping causing the economic problems?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2014, 09:48 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,906,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WindowsGuy View Post
Are the big retailers such as Amazon, Ebay, Netflx, and Redbox ruining the economy? They are convincing people to stop going to stores and buy online. Then, large corporations from the 60s and earlier such as Sears, JCPenny, and Blockbuster are going bye-bye soon. Is the online shopping causing the economic problems?
Does it really make a difference whether we spend our money online or in a brick and mortar store? It's all still going into the economy. It might mean that stores will need fewer employees but I doubt it would make that much difference. And from what I see, here where I live, none of the stores are in any danger of going out of business...except maybe JC Penny and Sears. Blockbuster is already gone.

I haven't been in a Sears, JC Penny or Blockbuster in, literally, years. We have a JC Penny here but I never see anyone in it. Our Sears store only sells appliances and the bigger ones are an hour away.

Old 02-08-2014, 10:49 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,953,484 times
The net has allowed the world to change in many ways and retail is just one of the changes. Look around and see education, social interaction, most business, some health care, and many other things in a state of change. Things will be different, some better, some not so much.

Old 02-08-2014, 01:20 PM

21,872 posts, read 25,139,139 times
Nope. They're improving it. There's not much value-added in a lot of retail. It's just markups and inefficiency.

Old 02-08-2014, 01:23 PM

2,535 posts, read 3,100,245 times
Much of eBay is still individuals selling their winter boots, waffle irons, handbags, etc. As with Etsy, I like my money going to regular individuals, as opposed to chain stores.

Old 02-08-2014, 03:37 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,123,645 times
I don't want to see brick-and-mortar stores die out. They are some of the few places left where I can actually see another live human being outside my family. They also are important to the "vibe" of a community. This is especially true with local stores, but even for chain stores, each one is different and unique in the same way. Unlike sitting behind a computer screen (or worse) a mobile phone screen, it is an immersive environment. Call me old-fashioned, but I do not want to see that disappear.

On the other hand, I often find that I cannot get the right equipment locally. Best Buy and other vendors, for example, seems to have resorted to selling cheap, easily-broken brands for their accessories. I buy a car bracket for a mobile phone, or a (way-overpriced) charger for my laptop, only to have it crap out on me a week or two later. Best Buy also does not sell any Panasonic camera gear.

Old 02-08-2014, 05:03 PM

84 posts, read 133,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Nope. They're improving it. There's not much value-added in a lot of retail. It's just markups and inefficiency.
Yes. This.

Old 02-08-2014, 07:28 PM

4,204 posts, read 4,689,076 times
Small Businesses are able to sell their goods to a much wider audience because of online shopping. Big box stores like Sears, Blockbuster needs to adapt themselves or perish. This is CAPITALISM. Walmart online shopping is doing well. Its all about choices in front of customers. One needs to be innovative. I dont think that it is ruining. Rather American online retailers like Amazon are doing great business in other countries and bringing the profits home to the US.

Old 02-08-2014, 08:17 PM

2,198 posts, read 2,734,512 times
No, we have too many low-paid retail jobs as it is, lack of crappy retail jobs isn't what's hurting the economy.

Old 02-08-2014, 08:39 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,501,142 times
There are times when I either want it NOW (like when I bought a backgammon game for 25% more to get it NOW at Barns & Noble vs online - Amazon), or the time I was looking for a certain coffee maker (when mine broke) and went to 5 stores - found it! (And, it was on sale!)

But there are other times when say the vitamin store doesn't have quite what I wanted, or the brand I wanted, or when I like a product offered in Wisconsin -- and, I live in California.

Ruining the economy? Um, no, I'm still buying, spending. And maybe the mailman is a little busier too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics