Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2014, 08:48 AM

152 posts, read 221,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
The employer has to make sure that the wait staff receive at least $7.25/hr. Anytime that tips fall below that threshold, the employer must pay the difference up to $7.25/hr.
It's been many years since I worked as waitstaff. It seems like a difficult task to calculate the overall amount of tips received, let alone individual wages. How would that work? I have used a credit card for haircuts; One salon did add the tip, then gave me the amount in cash, which I gave to individual who had cut my hair.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2014, 09:05 AM

1,137 posts, read 1,391,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Tax, tax, tax, tax, tax, Tax, tax, tax, tax, tax, Tax, tax, tax, tax, tax
Relax, big boy. Taxes are at their lowest levels since the 1950's.

Old 01-13-2014, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortCharlotteNewbie View Post
Pay the check with a credit card (no tip added) and give your waiter cash if you are happy with service.
You might want to ask first. Some restaurants rate, reward, and retain wait staff based on their tip-percentage as calculated from credit card checks. Leaving a nice tip (e.g., 25% and up) in cash my be denying the server credit he or she might have benefitted from. They get the money either way.

Old 01-13-2014, 09:34 AM

5,513 posts, read 5,239,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandMike View Post
This new tipping tax law seems like it stinks for restaurant waiter staff. I believe this is way overboard,
especially if a server gets that special table of 6 or more and after all of their hard work "gets stiffed" - zero $$$ tip! With that in mind, I believe this will financially hurt servers. I am wondering how servers in charlotte and surrounding areas feel about this.

How the IRS Tipping Crackdown Impacts Restaurants, Servers | Fox Small Business Center
It is beyond insanity that Big Government has grown so massive and insatiable that it is confiscating the tips of waiters and waitresses. The wealthiest Washington fatcats eating in the fanciest restaurants pay far less taxes (if any) than the people serving them--and Democrats think Big Government is looking out for the interests of the little guy.

Old 01-13-2014, 09:52 AM

3,175 posts, read 3,654,900 times
Quote:
They get the money either way.
Some only get their credit card tips when they have cash for other checks that evening.
If you get no cash for your checks, you don't get your credit card tips until you DO get cash.
FACT and sad but true. You know you will get it eventually but never know when.
At one point last year, I was owed over $400.00. Some got up to $700.00.

Old 01-13-2014, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post
It is beyond insanity that Big Government has grown so massive and insatiable that it is confiscating the tips of waiters and waitresses.
Everyone owes tax on all income from whatever source derived. It's amazing that this century-old fact is somehow just now catching up with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post
The wealthiest Washington fatcats eating in the fanciest restaurants pay far less taxes (if any) than the people serving them--and Democrats think Big Government is looking out for the interests of the little guy.
Seriously? Goldilocks and the Three Bears was a more realistic story.

Old 01-13-2014, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mag32gie View Post
Some only get their credit card tips when they have cash for other checks that evening.
If you get no cash for your checks, you don't get your credit card tips until you DO get cash.
FACT and sad but true. You know you will get it eventually but never know when.
At one point last year, I was owed over $400.00. Some got up to $700.00.
YMMV. As noted, it may pay to ask, as circumstances are not the same in all restaurants. Except for the fact that cash and credit card tips each go to the server and he or she accordingly owes tax on all of them.

To put some context to this entire thread, the changes are a part of attempts to narrow the Tax Gap -- the 15% or more of taxes actually owed each year that ultimately go unpaid. Those responsible for the Tax Gap are in essence stealing from those who are not, so cracking down on them is much more a matter of justice than of oppression. Just so you know...

Old 01-13-2014, 10:28 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,187,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by appstate1998 View Post
That's gonna be tough to tell people dining for business purposes.
Not tough for the diners. Tough for the servers. Dining out on business all charges must be on the receipt for reimbursement.

Old 01-13-2014, 11:38 AM

5,513 posts, read 5,239,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fairlaker View Post
Relax, big boy. Taxes are at their lowest levels since the 1950's.
This misleading statistic comes from news stories in 2010 and 2011 (based on 2009 and earlier data) and refer to federal taxes only, as a share of the national economy (Under Obama Taxes Reach Lowest Level Since Truman - Robert Schlesinger (usnews.com)). It is the broadest possible measure of federal taxes (total federal revenues divided by the gross domestic product), and the "low" rate that is being crowed about is 14.8% (as compared to a postwar average of 18.5%).

It doesn't address at all the accumulation of taxes imposed by all three levels of government, an accumulation that has resulted in the average American working until April 18 of every year, simply to pay all the endless taxes that are imbedded in every transaction, transfer, activity, time period, activity, state of being, or other variable that can be assigned a number by Big Government in its endless quest for money (Tax Freedom Day® 2013 is April 18, Five Days Later Than Last Year | Tax Foundation).

Let's look at statistics that actually have meaning: the Federal government now annually spends a (non-wartime) record high of 40% of the entire nation's GDP. The working class, which has actually LOST economic ground over the past 50 years, is now paying a record high percentage (98.7%) of the cost of federal government, and is also paying the many economic costs of supporting over $17 trillion in federal debt alone (more than 100% of GDP).

Before you think that Washington is a bargain, you have to consider:

1. That Big Business and the RICH are paying far LESS of the total tax burden, meaning everyone who isn't rich is paying MUCH, MUCH more. For instance, "corporate taxes are expected to raise just 1.3 percent of G.D.P. in revenue this year, about a third of what it was in the 1950s" (http://economix.blogs.nytimes.com/20...s-high-or-low/), meaning that individual workers paid 98.7% of all federal taxes in 2010, compared to 96% in the 1950s. I don't have mention that payroll taxes are a DIRECT LOSS OF LIFESTYLE to the working person, while they are nothing more than statistics on a table to a corporation.

Note also that "Barack Obama says tax rates are lowest since 1950s for CEOs, hedge fund managers" (Barack Obama says tax rates are lowest since 1950s for CEOs, hedge fund managers | PolitiFact). So even when talking specifically about individual taxpayers, it is the lower paid workers who are shouldering more of the federal burden.

2. That the individual worker has LOST economic ground over the past 50 years. We are now at RECORD lows for worker share of GDP (43.5%), combined with a record HIGH corporate after-tax profit share of GDP (11.1%) (Corporate profits hit record as wages get squeezed - Dec. 3, 2012). Closely tied to this is the ongoing MASSIVE decrease in real wages (the purchasing power of their earnings): "workers have lost purchasing power during the past half-century...senior engineers now earn less than what unskilled laborers earned back in 1965 (Measured In Gold, The Story Of American Wages Is An Ugly One - Forbes). So while the broadest measure of federal taxes dropped (because GDP has grown slightly faster than federal government taxes), the individual worker did not become more prosperous as GDP grew--Big Business did. The individual worker--who is now paying a higher share of total federal tax burden--actually LOST GROUND over the last 50 years.

3. That federal SPENDING is a more important statistic than federal taxes as a percentage of GDP. The federal government SPENDS $1.46 for every dollar it confiscates in taxes; in other words, it borrows 46 cents for every dollar it collects (http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...lar-it-spends/). The accumulated $17+ trillion in debt is not accounted for AT ALL in the macro federal tax burden statistic, and yet it is damaging in multiple ways: it not only must be dealt with economically (paid back or inflated away), but it imposes significant interest costs (a "stupidity" tax that buys the taxpayer NOTHING in services or benefits), and also requires suppression of interest rates and devaluation of the currency (which discourage saving and nullify retirement hopes).

So while the federal tax burden may have dropped as a share of GDP, federal SPENDING as a share of GDP increased--to RECORD (non-war) LEVELS--about 40% of GDP (Government Spending Chart: United States 2009-2018 - Federal State Local Data). And that is a HUGE burden on the working class.

Since the working class pays both the federal tax burden AND the economic costs of borrowing (interest costs, currency devaluation, and suppressed interest rates), the best federal statistic we should be looking at is federal spending per household. And federal spending per household is at RECORD HIGHS--at $30,015 in 2012, compared to $11,900 in 1965 (Federal Spending per Household Is Skyrocketing). If you have a brain, you have to recognize that a federal government, which has for decades spent far more on each household than it could possibly expect to recover in taxes, is not only unsustainable--it is doomed to a nasty day of reckoning somewhere in the future.

Old 01-13-2014, 02:50 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,442,568 times
GDP is a totally useless statistic. If I give you $100 to dance a *** for me, then you give me $100 to draw a smiley face for you, then I give you $100 to recite a dirty limerick, then you give me $100 to hop on one foot... Guess what, we added $400 to the GDP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics