Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 06:45 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,393,969 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Maybe Obama should have focused on jobs instead of Obamacare. And obviously taxing the rich didn't work out so well either.
Yeah, because the president has the ability to create jobs at will or pass jobs bills unilaterally...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2014, 07:21 AM

417 posts, read 594,514 times
The unemployment numbers are a joke!! As we all know it does not factor in those who have given up looking for a job, underemployed, and others so the numbers have been high. Also wages are less for everyone except the very wealthy and they are not creating jobs. Unfortunately Congress and all of our institutions are making policies like we are still in the pre 1980s and Americans still think we are going back to those days well we will never return to those days!!! Using the same tired mantras of trickle down and raising minimum wage and blah, blah wont help!!! Generations will be ruined because we are waiting for things to go back to what they were!! Manufacturing isnt coming back. Tech is leaving so what we are left with is service jobs paying less money!! We need to deal with our situation now not then!! Otherwise we will end up like the people in the Middle East that live in a bygone era taken advantage by politically powerful and wealthy people brainwashing them and giving them false hope that things will return to some mythical fantasy that they have created for the people to hope for until one day they wake up to realize when its too late to see what happened. Live in the present but learn from the past!!

Old 01-09-2014, 07:46 AM

5,365 posts, read 6,336,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffy1 View Post
The unemployment numbers are a joke!! As we all know it does not factor in those who have given up looking for a job, underemployed, and others so the numbers have been high. Also wages are less for everyone except the very wealthy and they are not creating jobs. Unfortunately Congress and all of our institutions are making policies like we are still in the pre 1980s and Americans still think we are going back to those days well we will never return to those days!!! Using the same tired mantras of trickle down and raising minimum wage and blah, blah wont help!!! Generations will be ruined because we are waiting for things to go back to what they were!! Manufacturing isnt coming back. Tech is leaving so what we are left with is service jobs paying less money!! We need to deal with our situation now not then!! Otherwise we will end up like the people in the Middle East that live in a bygone era taken advantage by politically powerful and wealthy people brainwashing them and giving them false hope that things will return to some mythical fantasy that they have created for the people to hope for until one day they wake up to realize when its too late to see what happened. Live in the present but learn from the past!!
I think you are right. Things will NEVER get back to how good they were prior to the recession. I even made a post about that about a year ago. I expect unemployment to be high for the foreseeable future.

I also think some type of intervention is going to be needed to get employers to hire young people. Tax breaks or something for hiring somebody without experience. These days employers don't want to give anyone a chance unless they have years of experience in the field they are applying for.

Me for instance. I'm 26, and I possess a bachelor's degree and a newly acquired CPC certification. I have dozens of applications out right now for medical coding positions but every job wants the applicant to have years of experience before they will even consider them for hire. I apply anyway, but haven't gotten any leads yet and it has been almost two months now. Employers are able to be way too picky these days because of the large unemployed pool of workers and it is going to leave young and inexperienced people out of the job market forever.

Old 01-09-2014, 08:11 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,575,509 times
Quote:
Maybe Obama should have focused on jobs instead of Obamacare. And obviously taxing the rich didn't work out so well either.
Maybe his predecessor shouldn't have let unemployment escalate rapidly to near double-digit percentages in his second term? I love how people pretend that all of our current economic woes magically appeared when President Obama won the election.

Old 01-09-2014, 10:23 AM

25,573 posts, read 17,281,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
Yeah, because the president has the ability to create jobs at will or pass jobs bills unilaterally...
Well, they did have that two year period when they had a super majority. But all they could think of to do was pretend the Republicans were in charge and wouldn't let them do anything.

Old 01-09-2014, 10:50 AM

8,610 posts, read 7,893,401 times
Quote:
You stated the obvious...government doesn't do anything for the economy other than trash it.

Old 01-09-2014, 10:57 AM

8,610 posts, read 7,893,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
Maybe his predecessor shouldn't have let unemployment escalate rapidly to near double-digit percentages in his second term? I love how people pretend that all of our current economic woes magically appeared when President Obama won the election.

You know what's funnier? When people, including Obama, keep blaming a president five years gone from office. When does the current POTUS own the current status?
This line of thinking is what is wrong with America as the everyday citizen now has the same mindset. Blame anything/everything on someone else, especially when that someone isn't around and has nothing to do with righting any perceived wrongs. Yep, it gets you off the hook for a day but you have to face the music eventually.

Old 01-09-2014, 11:27 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,575,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
You know what's funnier? When people, including Obama, keep blaming a president five years gone from office. When does the current POTUS own the current status?
This line of thinking is what is wrong with America as the everyday citizen now has the same mindset. Blame anything/everything on someone else, especially when that someone isn't around and has nothing to do with righting any perceived wrongs. Yep, it gets you off the hook for a day but you have to face the music eventually.
Or we could just stop blaming anyone and figure out how to solve problems which used to be a core American value. I didn't point a finger, I only offered that the problems we're trying to solve are not as new as some might want us all to think.

The biggest problem impacting our economy is that we've been shipping jobs elsewhere for decades and have done next to nothing to replace them; unfortunately that's the sharp edge of the free market economy sword. That trend is slowing a bit because the cost of doing business overseas is starting to creep up to the point where it's no longer as fiscally sound but that might take another decade or two to make a difference. We need to do a better job of educating our youth, get them skills to reflect the world we live in and not try and breath life into dying or dead industries.

Old 01-09-2014, 11:45 AM

3,766 posts, read 4,103,798 times
Every time I read about such news, I think about those words that Ronald Reagan said when he was president in the early eighties "We don't need those jobs", referring to the jobs that were fleeing to low cost countries. At that time the nation was told to look forward to the higher level thinking jobs that would be coming. I remember when the new Sheraton hotel opened in downtown Chicago in the early nineties and there was a line three city blocks long to apply for any hotel jobs that were available. It was a big story on the national news as the country was suffering the effects of the economic downturn at the end on the eighties. However, I do thank Ronald Reagan for saving us from the horrible economic policies of Jimmy Carter.

I blame all the presidents and Washington policymakers for providing the ideal conditions to send jobs overseas, and even encouraging it. Wall Street is not to blame as Washington sets the policy. As for Obama, his jobs czar, Jeffrey Immelt the head of GE, sent a entire GE division to China, right after he was appointed jobs czar and given the task of lowering unemployment. The division had been based in Wisconsin for over 100 years, leaving many in Wisconsin unemployed. Obama could have done more with the stimulus money by spending it on infrastructure improvements rather than distributing it by states so that he could please as many voters as possible. Congress could also do a lot by diverting money to infrastructure improvements, rather than so many nonsense programs to study the sex life of the fruit fly. Not only could unemployment be somewhat alleviated, but infrastructure improvements would make this country more competitive.

Last edited by james777; 01-09-2014 at 12:52 PM..

Old 01-09-2014, 11:49 AM

190 posts, read 190,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CK78 View Post
well this gives the recourceful a chance to use their wits
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics