Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2014, 09:25 AM

2,341 posts, read 3,496,095 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
Lets say they eliminated the minimum wage and employers could pay anything they wanted. They could pay $1 an hour if they thought workers would accept it. After the market place adjusted without a minimum wage to influence the equation, how low could wages go before the typical employer of low skilled poorly educated staff just could not find and retain it's workers? (Remember, under this situation,there is now no minimum wage so every employer could pay as low as the marketplace allowed.)
Most employers would lower the wages of the present workers immediately.

If the employees walk off the job, or strike, there would be lots of people step in
and take their place and go to work.

People who step in and take these jobs are a lot of times called ( scabs )
With most sores on our bodies there will be a scab to cover, and help it heal .

Employers would adjust the wages as need to attract new workers,
and keep the workers they have. Today they could hire many people for far less
money than they are paying now.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2014, 09:30 AM

106,638 posts, read 108,790,719 times
that would only be true in the real un-skilled positions and further more i would doubt employers would pay cut employees as they would lose more in disruption then the potential gain of starting fresh with all new people.

having to wait for even unskilled new people to become productive has a learning curve that takes time too.

i think that is more a situation one can dream up rather than actually playing out. even when companies reform and are hired back at less pay it isn't something that happens.

Old 01-11-2014, 10:29 AM

2,341 posts, read 3,496,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i think that is more a situation one can dream up rather than actually playing out. even when companies reform and are hired back at less pay it isn't something that happens.
Yes it can happen.

There is a company that paid it workers around $30.00 hr.
They closed the plant down, and moved the whole company to the
otherside of the state and hired back many of the same employees,
along with new workers for $15.00 hr.

When people get hungry, and are about to loose everything,
they will work for far less money ! ! !

Old 01-11-2014, 10:39 AM

106,638 posts, read 108,790,719 times
i think you mis-understood my point. when i said it does not happen when companies are restructured i meant the fact that when pay is cut the majority of employees still stay with the house and do not just walk off the job and go elsewhere.

my point is that odds are employers would not cut pay if there were no minimum age laws as the disruption would make it not worth it since if the employees did leave their low skill level lets them work anywhere.

part II is even if they did cut pay a bit ,the odds are the employees wouldn't leave and they will just accept the cut.

Old 01-11-2014, 11:03 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,159,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpus7 View Post
Yes it can happen.

Prove that $15.00/hour was not the Market Wage Rate for that region on the "otherside" of the State.

Quote:
Most employers would lower the wages of the present workers immediately.
And you base that on what? Emotion?

See if you can come up with something concrete.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliveinsa View Post
There are fast food places in my city that offer more than minimum wage (I know because they have big signs out offering starting at $9/hr) and this is not a city with a very high cost of living.
Cost-of-Living has no bearing on wages.

The Demand for Fast-Food Workers exceeds the Supply of Fast-Food Workers, and that is why they are starting at $9.00/hour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
I know a lot of adults who work minimum wage to slightly above minumum wage jobs.
That isn't relevant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
It may be noted that many countries have no minimum wage. Like Denmark, for example:
Countries? Don't you mean counties?

What does the County of Los Angeles have that Denmark does not?

Spoiler

The County of Los Angeles has 4.4 Million more people than Denmark.

Quote:
The market wage is affected by the other low skilled poorly educated workers who are making close to minimum wage.
No, it is not. That might have been true in 1910, but not now.

Economically...

Mircea

Old 01-11-2014, 11:20 AM

152 posts, read 221,636 times
Mircea[/quote]

I don't know about other postings but I did mean the "country of Norway" when talking about entitlement to education and health care.

Old 01-11-2014, 12:39 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,147,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PortCharlotteNewbie View Post
Mircea
I don't know about other postings but I did mean the "country of Norway" when talking about entitlement to education and health care.[/quote]

Comparing Norway to the United States is an apples-to-oranges issue. Norway is a homogenous country of 5,000,000 with pretty uniform cultural values while the United States is an incredibly diverse country of 317,000,000. More importantly, Norway has a fund of $783 billion funded solely by oil exports. So, yeah, they're swimming in money.

Old 01-11-2014, 12:43 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,966,662 times
Quote:
Yes it can happen.

Obviously, $30 was double the Fair Market Rate, or they could get new jobs at their old rate.

Old 01-11-2014, 01:36 PM

152 posts, read 221,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
I don't know about other postings but I did mean the "country of Norway" when talking about entitlement to education and health care.
Comparing Norway to the United States is an apples-to-oranges issue. Norway is a homogenous country of 5,000,000 with pretty uniform cultural values while the United States is an incredibly diverse country of 317,000,000. More importantly, Norway has a fund of $783 billion funded solely by oil exports. So, yeah, they're swimming in money.[/quote]

OK so you misunderstood. Is there a Norway county? what state? just curious. apples and oranges are just both fruits, it doesn't change the idea of entitlement to education and healthcare.

Old 01-12-2014, 04:14 PM

654 posts, read 944,885 times
Quote:
A friend of mine works in a fast food restaurant and he tells me there are just tons of applicants nearly every day. Many are just completely desperate and just beg for work. Another post talked about over a thousand applicants for 35 jobs. It's tough out there.

Lets say they eliminated the minimum wage and employers could pay anything they wanted. They could pay $1 an hour if they thought workers would accept it. After the market place adjusted without a minimum wage to influence the equation, how low could wages go before the typical employer of low skilled poorly educated staff just could not find and retain it's workers? (Remember, under this situation,there is now no minimum wage so every employer could pay as low as the marketplace allowed.)
IMO very low, unfortunately. Desperate people do desperate things. I'm just grateful we have a minimum wage (although it no doubt should be a bit higher). Pre-New Deal, people were nothing more than slaves to corporations. Things are better now, but not much better, and both conditions and wages seem to be getting worse and worse every year; we seem to be regressing back to an early-20th century economic philosophy which doesn't benefit the working or middle classes, but only the wealthy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics