Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2014, 08:09 AM

3,763 posts, read 5,857,834 times

Advertisements

Went to RL last night for the 2 for $29.99 special. I am not necessarily a seafood expert as we live in the desert, but the food was good and interesting. The place was loaded and the waiting area was full. It is next to a mall so OG , PF Changs, Corner Street Bakery, Carinos are all in the area. It did seem like there was a lot of inexperienced help. However, our waitress was a former student of mine, working there, a violin shop and going to community college. I gave her a nice tip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2014, 08:18 AM

13,721 posts, read 19,254,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Red Lobster is, IMO, expensive for what you get. Being a seafood connoisseur, I can find plenty of places that serve better food for the same, or less. When I can indulge on plate after plate of (fake) sushi for $23, I would be crazy to ever step foot inside a Red Slobster.

Dardens has done little to change the menu items or the image of their restaurants. They bring on new items like anyone else, but they are cut from the same cloth as their typically boring and uninspired dishes. Even still, their stock has performed adequately enough and they are paying a healthy 4% dividend to keep investors hanging on. I'm not sure what the long term outlook is, but even at that, I would prefer to avoid a corp with such a "wait it out" business model.
We call it Dead Slobster!

But actually, I'm NOT a seafood connoisseur and I don't think Red Lobster is that bad. I usually order a meal that's around $17.00, which is a lot better than paying $10 at a fast food restaurant for much worse food. I mean, you get a salad, baked potato and entrée for that $17.00. I'm sure it's not the best seafood in the world, but like I said, I'm not a connoisseur. My grocery store will steam shrimp for you if you buy the shrimp there. A couple of weeks ago I bought some shrimp and had them steam it. It was about $16 and I was disappointed because there wasn't much shrimp. I had planned on it being enough for two of us and it really wasn't enough for even one. I even commented to my husband that Red Lobster price didn't look so bad because for the same price you get salad, bread, baked potato AND shrimp.

I also don't think Olive Garden is bad, although they have taken all the stuff I loved off the menu. Not sure why. I used to love the Mediterranean Garlic Shrimp and they took that off the menu several years ago. So I started getting Grilled Shrimp Caprese instead, which I didn't like as much but was the best substitute I could find for the MGS. Now they have taken the Grilled Shrimp Caprese off the menu. My husband used to get Seafood Portofino off the menu and now they took that off the menu too. WTH?

Longhorn is okay. We live in Kansas City and we have LOTS of steak restaurants. There are others that are much better, so we've been to Longhorn I think twice - once because we had a coupon of some kind and another time because we were eating lunch with someone who suggested it and we went along with their suggestion (ate hamburgers instead of steak, and the hamburgers were good).

Old 01-11-2014, 08:26 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,771,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red On The Noodle View Post
And the really sad thing is, if the case is settled, the class action participants will see very little money. However, you can be assured the lawyers will get their expenses first (off the top) and then their percentage, and then the remainder will be split among all the plaintiffs.
I dislike class action lawsuits overall as in the end it benefits the lawyers, and almost no one else. The US has become so litigious now that people are afraid of being sued over anything. Such big lawsuits discourage a positive business climate, so some US-based companies set up shop overseas to avoid such costly hassles. I would not blame some for doing that.

Around here such restaurants as Olive Garden and Longhorn are extremely popular and quite crowded. I don't eat out a lot, but from what I remember these places seem to be run well near my area. People flock to these chain restaurants in droves about anywhere I have noticed it while traveling within the country.

People choose to work at such places, if they don't like working there, they should go elsewhere to work instead of biting the hand of their employer. And I have worked in the restaurant business, and it is hard work, and most people have a choice to find work elsewhere for what they see as better terms.

Old 01-11-2014, 09:34 AM

2,347 posts, read 3,333,328 times
There are no shortage of managers/corporations/business owners out there who actually seem to enjoy inflicting misery on their workers to the point they'd happily (if not begrudgingly) pay out five mil to settle a suit before they'd up workers pay by a dollar an hour.

Five mil to settle a lawsuit? Not a problem.

One mil to attract and retain workers or at least give them a slight improvement in their lives?

Not a chance.

Megalomania and 'being in control' are often key defining personality traits of anyone who's in the position to make such decisions.

Old 01-11-2014, 09:36 AM

10,688 posts, read 7,711,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Des-Lab View Post
There are no shortage of managers/corporations/business owners out there who actually seem to enjoy inflicting misery on their workers to the point they'd happily (if not begrudgingly) pay out five mil to settle a suit before they'd up pay by a dollar an hour. Megalomania and 'being in control' are often key defining personality traits of anyone who's in the position to make such decisions.
You are very correct--and in the meantime--

Quote:
The median 2012 CEO pay package, for example, enjoyed a 16 percent year-over-year increase . . . even as the median household income showed no significant change (.pdf file). And that divergence is hardly new; CEO pay has grown 127 times faster than worker pay over the last three decades.
5 huge CEO pay raises - MSN Money

As CEO of the Darden Group, Clarence Otis took home $8.5 million three years ago. I don't know what he makes now. Mean while his employees earn as little as $2.13 an hour.
It seems fair wages and affordable healthcare aren't on the menu at Red Lobster, Olive Garden, and other restaurants chains operated by the Darden Group. But corporate greed and looking out for other executives is.

And as a board member at Verizon, Otis approved a 200% raise for CEO Lowell McAdam. Meanwhile 45,000 Verizon employees were fighting for a fair contract for good jobs.

Old 01-11-2014, 10:17 AM

1,107 posts, read 1,451,856 times
Even though Olive Garden is popular - I think they could really improve on a lot of the things they do when you compare them to other chains. For example at Macaroni Grill and Carrabbas you get dipping sauce for free. At Olive Garden you need to pay for your dipping sauce. Other places like Chili's and Applebees have 2/$20 and they have pasta deals included. Olive Garden keeps these deals for a limited time. Olive Garden is really overpriced for what it is.

Old 01-11-2014, 10:50 AM

152 posts, read 221,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
We call it Dead Slobster!

But actually, I'm NOT a seafood connoisseur and I don't think Red Lobster is that bad. I usually order a meal that's around $17.00, which is a lot better than paying $10 at a fast food restaurant for much worse food. I mean, you get a salad, baked potato and entrée for that $17.00. I'm sure it's not the best seafood in the world, but like I said, I'm not a connoisseur. My grocery store will steam shrimp for you if you buy the shrimp there. A couple of weeks ago I bought some shrimp and had them steam it. It was about $16 and I was disappointed because there wasn't much shrimp. I had planned on it being enough for two of us and it really wasn't enough for even one. I even commented to my husband that Red Lobster price didn't look so bad because for the same price you get salad, bread, baked potato AND shrimp.

I also don't think Olive Garden is bad, although they have taken all the stuff I loved off the menu. Not sure why. I used to love the Mediterranean Garlic Shrimp and they took that off the menu several years ago. So I started getting Grilled Shrimp Caprese instead, which I didn't like as much but was the best substitute I could find for the MGS. Now they have taken the Grilled Shrimp Caprese off the menu. My husband used to get Seafood Portofino off the menu and now they took that off the menu too. WTH?

Longhorn is okay. We live in Kansas City and we have LOTS of steak restaurants. There are others that are much better, so we've been to Longhorn I think twice - once because we had a coupon of some kind and another time because we were eating lunch with someone who suggested it and we went along with their suggestion (ate hamburgers instead of steak, and the hamburgers were good).

many of the entrees for these restaurants are frozen pre-prepared items and the restaurant only heats or finish grills or deep fries them. if you ever have the opportunity to go to a commercial food show, you would see the shrimp all seasoned and skewered into the portions. If a distributor stops purchasing and marketing an item, it gets taken off the menu. Sometimes, it is seasonal and might return to the menu. Food service and restaurants are a complicated business.

Old 01-11-2014, 11:55 AM

131 posts, read 224,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
The workers demands are not so unreasonable. I worked in a restaurant years ago when the going rate for waitresses was something a little over a dollar. Tips were supposed to make up the difference to bring the wage to at least minimum wage. But when you are filling up condiments, cleaning out the pie case, rolling the silverware in napkins, etc. you aren't earning tips.
They are free to find better employment should they so desire. It's not the business of the "gummint" or some stinking shyster how much they make unless it violates labor laws.

Old 01-11-2014, 12:07 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,254,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
You are very correct--and in the meantime--

5 huge CEO pay raises - MSN Money

As CEO of the Darden Group, Clarence Otis took home $8.5 million three years ago. I don't know what he makes now. Mean while his employees earn as little as $2.13 an hour.
It seems fair wages and affordable healthcare aren't on the menu at Red Lobster, Olive Garden, and other restaurants chains operated by the Darden Group. But corporate greed and looking out for other executives is.

And as a board member at Verizon, Otis approved a 200% raise for CEO Lowell McAdam. Meanwhile 45,000 Verizon employees were fighting for a fair contract for good jobs.
And we all know that with tips, those workers make a lot more than $2.15 an hour.

But Beyoncé and Kanye West and Hollywood actors can make many times more than the CEO of Darden group, and no one complains.

And look at the disparity between the salary and retirement and healthcare benefits of Obama and other politicians and what the average American gets. We pay their large salaries and most of us live with much less.

Old 01-11-2014, 12:28 PM

2,222 posts, read 3,600,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Darden Lawsuit | Olive Garden Class Action | Red Lobster Lawsuit

How to kill an entire branch!

I guess soon we will have less choice what to eat...

On the radio I hear the ad's daily from. Morgan & Morgan asking people to come to them to complain.

Don't get me wrong I want employees to get what they deserve but this sounds almost like business owners have entered open season by lawyers!
Or actually start going to locally owned restaurants like people used to do before we became a nation of masochistic wage slaves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics