Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 04:03 PM

1,660 posts, read 2,533,757 times

Advertisements

20 Things the Rich Do Every Day - daveramsey.com

Some interesting tidbits in there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2014, 05:00 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,451,703 times
I have read that list before and it is interesting. The nice part also is that pretty much all of those things don't even cost money.

I do think Dave Ramsey makes a lot of true points.

Although it's not the ONLY thing , mindset and habits are very important.

I do believe many poor people have the mindset of "I was born poor, I'll always be poor" . With that attitude you will remain that way for sure.

Old 01-21-2014, 06:11 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,147,443 times
Reading and self-education pop up as a consistent theme. I think a lot of people think their education ends when they get their final diploma. What's more, education isn't just what you majored in. Education is the willingness to learn something new, especially when it's outside of your comfort zone. Heck, I didn't know squat about accounting when I graduated college. But I learned to read an income statement, a balance sheet, and a general ledger. More importantly, I learned how to critique one.

Another interesting one is that only 6% of the wealthy say what's on their mind versus 69% of the poor. I think having an intervening filter between one's brain and mouth is a critical aspect of people skills. People who just vomit out whatever they're thinking at that moment tend don't just look extraordinarily stupid, it also means that they are more interested in talking than listening.

Old 01-21-2014, 06:49 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,812,184 times
Just from my experience, seems to hold true. Every poor person I know (I only know because I am related, or use to know when in the military), fit the "what poor do".

Many people I know who maybe are not rich, but financial successful/comfortable, fit the "what rich do".

To add: this is not something that shows that if a person will start doing these things, they will be financially successful. This is a reflection of the personality these people have that has made them financially successful.

Last edited by boxus; 01-21-2014 at 07:00 PM..

Old 01-21-2014, 09:24 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,147,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Just from my experience, seems to hold true. Every poor person I know (I only know because I am related, or use to know when in the military), fit the "what poor do".

Many people I know who maybe are not rich, but financial successful/comfortable, fit the "what rich do".

To add: this is not something that shows that if a person will start doing these things, they will be financially successful. This is a reflection of the personality these people have that has made them financially successful.
I'm not sure I totally agree. A person, for example, who blurts out whatever in a meeting isn't going to be asked to the next meeting or trusted with higher levels of responsibility. First, demonstrate what you can do, then the pay follows.

Old 01-22-2014, 09:24 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,687,864 times
I like the following one because there are so many morons that take pride in their big dumb mouths:

"11. 6% of wealthy say what’s on their mind vs. 69% of poor."

Old 01-22-2014, 09:33 AM

5,342 posts, read 6,166,341 times
Interesting list. It seems to me there is 1 overarching theme.

The ability think beyond the short-term.

Old 01-22-2014, 09:38 AM

4,130 posts, read 4,460,412 times
It's interesting stuff, not really new, but about half are what I would consider habits of a well accomplished life (reading, keeping your mind engauged, being active). I don't believe that all of them nessicarily causes the other though, that being rich causes these habits or these habits make you rich. As the number of pirates went down there was global warming, it doesn't mean global warming is caused by pirates. Also, some are very vague...like habits cause luck, and teaching good success habits makes you successful (but not what those habits are).

If people get help out of the list, that's great and I am all for it.

I can also see why some people are unhappy when things like this come out because there are others that are cruel wankers that like to throw it in people's faces. They make blanket assumptions that poverty is a choice, or a failing, of the person who is poor and that it is almost a deserved punishment. There are people who make poor decisions, there are others where it is inflicted upon them, there are others that are working on correcting decisions, and there are those who made the right decisions and are still poor. You can see examples of each in the comments below the article.

I've known people who do all the right things that turn out poor (also the other way), those that do the wrong things that turn out rich (also the other way), and those that had poverty inflicted upon them by circumstance. To me life is like a flying like a bird. There decisions you can make in order make your flight easier or harder, and the bad ones are like trying to fly while carrying a cannon ball (like doing meth). Sometimes you have calm weather, and sometimes you get storms, but no matter your right decisions if you get hit by a storm that slams you into the ground...there isn't much your right decisions could have done to help.

The best thing to do is to use these things to help yourself get what you want out of life. Don't be one of those people that uses these lists to judge others.

Old 01-22-2014, 09:38 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,298,103 times
There's a lot of truth to this list. You can end up poor in America for a whole lot of reasons. However, bad habits is a reason that many do stay poor. What I greatly fear is that in future, many will struggle with poverty or remain "lower middle class" even though they have adopted good habits. The world is changing and it is not working to the advantage of middle income people, let alone poor people.

Old 01-22-2014, 09:42 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,687,864 times
how about this one:

"if you make up percentages and include them in your list of wisdom, people are 85% more likely to believe what you are saying"

seriously, how are we supposed to believe all those % numbers that he is putting in there? most studies that you read about these days are a bunch of made up crap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics