Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2014, 11:03 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,255,944 times

Advertisements

I came across this article which results from a behavioral economics and psychology study. According to the study, people tend to save more if they can picture themselves in retirement.

http://www.mercer.com/attachment.dyn...2014-Final.pdf

There is a tool by Merrill Edge that shows your old-age image; you need a webcam for the tool to work. It's called Face Retirement:

Face Retirement

Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2014, 11:05 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,395,538 times
a lot truth in that. we are a funny people we are so disconnected from the old age and death experience that we really are able to stay in denial about it all under the last moments.

Old 02-09-2014, 01:26 AM

30,506 posts, read 16,206,257 times
or maybe it's just hard to think of the future when you find it hard to pay living expenses today.

Old 02-09-2014, 01:58 AM

613 posts, read 1,054,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
or maybe it's just hard to think of the future when you find it hard to pay living expenses today.
Define living expenses. A lot of people think thats a brand new car and every shiny gadget the feel they should have. People always seem to have money for what they want but never for what they need.

Old 02-09-2014, 03:11 AM

106,621 posts, read 108,773,903 times
living expenses are unique to everyone of us.

our goal was always to live better in retirement than we did working ,saving and raising a family.
as humans don't need much except a tent ,a loin cloth and food.

it is the wants that make life enjoyable and fun.

Old 02-09-2014, 08:29 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,941,000 times
The converse of that is that a lot of people save for future retirement because they have an unrealistic picture of their future selves. They imagine themselves being rich retirees, when their nestegg has been eroded not just by inflation, but by at least one serious downturn in the value of securities during their working lifetime. I know plenty of people who expected to retire at about 50, and then lost a sizable chunk of what they thought was their retirement.

They also fail to consider the fact that when they reach 70, they will lack the stamina and enthusiasm and even the basic sound body or an energetic mate to be able to do all the things that they will wish they had spent their money doing when they were younger. Your seventies is no time to start backpacking through South America or climbing mountains or driving a Porsche -- it just isn't in you anymore, and you've let it all slip through your fingers. And you just wind up in a high-class nursing home, dimly aware of your surroundings.

Old 02-09-2014, 08:45 AM

27,555 posts, read 28,641,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1282 View Post
People always seem to have money for what they want but never for what they need.
Wow, truer words were never spoken. This is wall-posting material.

Old 02-09-2014, 09:35 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,097,706 times
Truth.
My wife and I meet the employer match on 401k and max our IRAs each year. We do not know anyone else that does this.

Old 02-09-2014, 11:10 AM

1,960 posts, read 4,662,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lurtsman View Post
Truth.
My wife and I meet the employer match on 401k and max our IRAs each year. We do not know anyone else that does this.

That's a lot of coin every year. Most people don't have that much to begin with. The rest have a more typical either/or choice to make. As illustrated by society, we continue to choose our life, family and the valuable opportunity called health and youth to pursue our avocations, desires and emotional wants with that money instead. I certainly don't regret it. Its an investment into my own sanity and economic future.

Saving everything I made and living like a miser would be the quickest way to cure me from wanting to get up in the morning and working at all. By spending the money I make to do the things I want to do today, I'm investing in the motivation to wake up in the morning and contribute to society. Im not being hyperbolic either. If all I had to show for my troubles is a bank account in my 60s and a monastic life, considering my level of intellect and self-drive, I'd probably be doing pretty detrimental things for society (life of organizaed crime, terrorism et al). That's not a threat either, that's rational human motivators.

But that's me of scarce resources. If I could max those contributions and pursue my avocations and family expenditures simultaneously, then sure, there would be world peace and flying unicorns. Alas, most households make 60K. Good luck making sunshine on that.

Old 02-09-2014, 11:32 AM

5,475 posts, read 6,296,558 times
Quote:
Define living expenses. A lot of people think thats a brand new car and every shiny gadget the feel they should have. People always seem to have money for what they want but never for what they need.
Truer words have never been spoken. People don't seem to understand that coffee, cigarettes, booze, eating out all the time, new cars every few years, iPhones, iPads, and memberships to Netflix and Redbox aren't NEEDS. It drives me nuts when I see people like this complaining about how they don't make enough money and can't save for retirement. People who pay $100 or more a month for a cell phone plan or $200 or so per month for smokes and then complain that they can't save JUST DON'T GET IT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics