Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2014, 02:43 PM

5,210 posts, read 4,671,795 times

Advertisements

If you think it's just about money then sure, pick whatever pays best, be it panhandling, prostitution, crime etc. Some of us have dignity, pride, morals and standards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2014, 07:45 AM

18,548 posts, read 15,586,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Restrain View Post
I have had the opportunity to observe panhandlers on city street corners primarily on off ramps at busy intersections. Just a rough calculation would show that they make well over minimum wage per hour. Saw one family, father had daughter on one corner, mom had son on other corner, saw several stops in a short period of time.

So why would they work when their "job" pays much more than they would make as a 'burger flipper'?
Incidentally, when i realized this myself, I stopped giving them anything...

Old 03-20-2014, 06:10 AM

2,281 posts, read 3,034,947 times
Quote:
I have had the opportunity to observe panhandlers on city street corners primarily on off ramps at busy intersections. Just a rough calculation would show that they make well over minimum wage per hour. Saw one family, father had daughter on one corner, mom had son on other corner, saw several stops in a short period of time.

So why would they work when their "job" pays much more than they would make as a 'burger flipper'?
A couple of things.

1. Panhandling means that your 'job' is on the street. If you're flipping burgers then you are working in a more or less controlled environment for a manager who is ultimately answerable to an owner. There are workplace regulations and there are laws that that govern how the workplace should be kept.

If you are doing well panhandling at a corner, then you have probably had to intimidate or avoid half a dozen other panhandlers who want your corner. Then there are the thugs who have watched you work a corner all day who know that you have cash on you and know that you are not likely to call the cops if they rob you or intimidate you for a cut.

2. Flipping burgers means that you are working indoors. Panhandling means that you are outside in the heat, outside in the cold, and probably not making any money at all when it rains.

3. Flipping burgers means that at some point you can probably transition out to another service industry job. I am unsure as to what panhandling might help lead to....

Old 03-21-2014, 06:37 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,907,290 times
The road to hell is paved with good intentions. Those well-intended folks who put money in every out-stretched palm are likely feeding someone's alcohol or drug habit. Where is the good in that?

Old 03-23-2014, 10:24 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:

And no social security or other taxes taken out. I suspect on a slow day a pan handler on a busy intersection makes at least $40 an hour -- untaxed income.

Old 03-23-2014, 11:27 AM

195 posts, read 281,595 times
I've done it, and it pays about $15 an hour, on average, here in OK city, but only for the evening "rush hour". (2 hours) People won't stop on their way to work in the morning, and the rest of the day isn't worth the time spent. So figure maybe $150 per week. but it leaves you free to do cash jobs on Craigslist on weekends (5k per year), night shift "day labor", sell blood plasma (3k per year), etc.

Old 03-28-2014, 07:39 AM

7,595 posts, read 6,087,283 times
We had such a problem with it here that laws were passed. (not always enforced )

Tampa passes new limits on panhandling, sleeping in public | Tampa Bay Times

Virtually every corner has people holding up signs that say "Need money ...help" or something to that effect.
(Waiting to see one that says "Too lazy to get a real job")

I do not give them any money at all. I donate heavily to our local charity, if they are in need, they may go there.

Old 03-29-2014, 12:12 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarzanman View Post
A couple of things.

1. Panhandling means that your 'job' is on the street. If you're flipping burgers then you are working in a more or less controlled environment for a manager who is ultimately answerable to an owner. There are workplace regulations and there are laws that that govern how the workplace should be kept.

If you are doing well panhandling at a corner, then you have probably had to intimidate or avoid half a dozen other panhandlers who want your corner. Then there are the thugs who have watched you work a corner all day who know that you have cash on you and know that you are not likely to call the cops if they rob you or intimidate you for a cut.

2. Flipping burgers means that you are working indoors. Panhandling means that you are outside in the heat, outside in the cold, and probably not making any money at all when it rains.

3. Flipping burgers means that at some point you can probably transition out to another service industry job. I am unsure as to what panhandling might help lead to....
Panhandling have the job of making bleeding hearts feel better about themselves. You can kick your dog, belittle your kids, cheat on your spouse, but give a bum $1 and feel great about yourself.

Bums have their purpose -- and they get their money honestly -- unlike all those living off government handouts.

Old 03-29-2014, 02:22 PM

1,013 posts, read 910,213 times
I am jealous many of these pan handlers make more than average workers...

400 dollars a day x 30 = 12000
200 x 30 = 6000

PER MONTH....72k - 144k per year..

WTF.

some also dress better than me while I am so stupid as to actually produce value for the economy.

well they learned the best from wall street... go figure these panhandlers make great banksters.
the real pan handlers are ones that are smelly though you can tell and they do not ask for help.

those are the real beggars

the fake ones are ones that ask for money.
some are so bold as to wear good clothing and think we are stupid. well many are...

Old 03-30-2014, 03:45 PM

32,650 posts, read 48,040,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Bums have their purpose -- and they get their money honestly -- unlike all those living off government handouts.
You have some proof that the panhandlers are not getting a government check and food stamps? Or even that they are homeless?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics