Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2014, 01:54 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,755,037 times

Advertisements

To combat the "departure myth," I will want a better job after I gain those skills from training. I want it to be YOUR company but if you don't offer better jobs, I can't stay there. I am sure other people would want to stay if they got a little more than peanuts. The problem is companies don't offer wages unless you get promoted and if there's no promotions, it's not going to be in your company.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2014, 02:01 PM

2,040 posts, read 3,983,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
I'd say that poor people have way too many kids; the middle class & rich marginally too many.

BOTH groups could do with some trimming but the low/no skilled end is epidemic.
Blame conservative policies like not providing birth control, and advocating for abstinence only in poorer (IE mostly southern) educational districts.

Old 03-19-2014, 03:03 PM

5,347 posts, read 7,175,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
Anyone who honestly thinks this is a "skills gap" is missing the point.

Not enough jobs: First, there are not enough jobs to go around. Based upon published statistics, if you use the U3 unemployment number - which is the LOWEST estimate and thus the most optimistic the systems used - we're looking at 2.6 people out of work per job opening. That is rather bad... and if you use the U6 number, the ratio balloons to 5.1 people who need a job per job opening, which is horrible.

http://www.bls.gov/web/jolts/jlt_labstatgraphs.pdf

Job Openings and Labor Turnover Survey Home Page

Jolts Report Shows 2.6 Unemployed Per Job Opening in January 2014 | The Economic Populist

Mythical Skills Gap: Most of the "skills gap" is created by companies looking to hire people with absurdly narrow qualifications while offering no on-the-job training at all. The end result is that nobody is qualified by their laughable standard, which keeps more people out of work. Top this off with: no unemployed need apply and refusal to hire older workers, those not in perfect health, etc. and you have an artificially created underclass of "unemployable" people who have all the education and experienced needed to perform the designed tasks, but they simply will not be given a chance.

The Skills Gap Myth: Why Companies Can't Find Good People | TIME.com

Crooked companies: Finally, plenty of the "job postings" out there are never meant to be filled by Americans. They exist to bring in visa workers by intentionally creating a "skills gap" so they can claim, "oh, poor us - there are no qualified Americans out there... I guess we'll need even more visa workers." It's a scam, but those in charge make big money from the cheap labor, so nothing will be done about it.

Yup, the "skills gap" is a bunch of garbage. There is simply isn't enough good middle class jobs to go around anymore. This is why you have people who have college degrees working at a Starbucks near you

Old 03-19-2014, 04:47 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,906,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post

People on this thread, keep saying if you want workers, train me. However, they also say as soon as I get trained, I am going to be looking for a better job. This is exactly why the companies will not train them. It costs a lot of time and money to train people with no knowledge of the field, especially if it is technical etc.

It is prudent for a corp to not train employees. No one would buy a car they would have to assemble, no one would accept the ingredients at Olive Garden, being told to cook it themselves. Employees need to bring the developed tools required to do the job..from day one.

Old 03-19-2014, 04:50 PM

3,391 posts, read 4,466,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Costaexpress View Post
Companies have a hard time filling open positions. Some of them hire others to find talent. It's mindboggling that with such a high unemployment rate and all the cynicism toward "job creators," there are in fact open jobs that pay decent salaries and no takers.

There are plenty of people looking for employment, but they don't have the right skills.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/28/bu...anted=all&_r=0
But that begs the question, if the high unemployment rate is really due to long-term structural problem like a skills gap, why was unemployment so low just prior to the crisis of 2008/2009? It doesn't add up.

Sure, job openings go unfilled. But the main reason they go unfilled is because skilled workers aren't going work at the rock-bottom wages many employers demand. And if too many workers start making too much money in a given field, employers immediately start looking for ways to outsource the work. It's a catch-22.

Old 03-19-2014, 04:55 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,755,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
It is prudent for a corp to not train employees. No one would buy a car they would have to assemble, no one would accept the ingredients at Olive Garden, being told to cook it themselves. Employees need to bring the developed tools required to do the job..from day one.
But jobs did that for years during the boom period and even into the 90's. Now the companies want INSTANT returns on hiring investment which doesn't help long-term growth because fewer people have these instances to develop the tools while all you needed was a good word and a handshake not even 20 years ago to do most jobs.

Old 03-19-2014, 05:02 PM

166 posts, read 239,763 times
Well there are plenty of jobs.

Old 03-19-2014, 05:06 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,906,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
But jobs did that for years during the boom period and even into the 90's. Now the companies want INSTANT returns on hiring investment which doesn't help long-term growth because fewer people have these instances to develop the tools while all you needed was a good word and a handshake not even 20 years ago to do most jobs.
Corps are far more profitable today than 20 years ago. That means they are better managed. It isn't their job to be your educator.

Old 03-19-2014, 05:13 PM

25,671 posts, read 21,838,722 times
What I have seen is companies with openings often let people go when another more desirable person applies or when they slow down and get a reputation for doing that and no one wants to apply. There is a company in town that started hiring through a temp agency except for employees that had worked there under the previous owner. They were turning over these temps on a regular basis and eventually, there isn't any one left to hire and the temp agency no longer leaves any hint of the employer, not wages or anything that might give away who it is in the ads trying to entice another victim to sign off. Have seen this a few times in different positions from lower to higher paid ones.

Old 03-19-2014, 05:14 PM

611 posts, read 1,451,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CravingMountains View Post
I keep getting turned down for entry level jobs in the medical coding field. The employers keep saying it is because I do not have actual on the job experience. With a bachelors degree and a CPC certification I am as prepared as someone can be for a job like this.

The economy sucks. Bottom line. Those employers are able to be picky about who they hire because there are so many people still out of work in the nation and job growth has been negative or at a crawl for the past seven years.
Apply to the Health Insurance Companies as a Claims Processor, analyst, adjuster ect.
do that job for 1 year and then transfer into a Coding Auditor position.
Problem Solved.
(Im a former Medicare Analyst/Auditor -No CPC, no degree)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics