Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2014, 11:02 AM

7 posts, read 7,952 times

Advertisements

Some need to be self employed and start their own business instead of being dependent on others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2014, 02:14 AM

9,891 posts, read 11,766,452 times
I keep seeing people complaining that companies are not satisfied when one knows one programming language, and demand they know another.

In the corporate world it is more than that. Companies operate on very complicated programs that handle all phases of their operation from accounting to manufacturing, inventory, human relations, warehousing, ordering, and many more sectors. The top people have to be able to set up systems that let the CEO, etc., sit in their office punch a few buttons and be able to know the financial strength of the company at that particular moment, hit s few keys, and able to check and see how much production has been accomplished so far that date. and is it meeting today's goals. A few more keys, and and they know if the materials are coming into the plant as needed. And these are just a few things they can check. Not only for a particular plant, but for all their plants and offices throughout the world. They pay millions of dollars for these programs. It takes years for someone to be proficient in overseeing this project. The people that run the different sections of such a program can write their own 6 figure income and benefits.

Too many people seem to think knowing a certain software, and feel they can learn any other program in week or two, keep complaining that they cannot just walk into a high 5 figure income job. Most of them are years away from being able to do so. They are at the level of baby that has just learned to walk, and it will be years before they can run in cross country races.

They complain that they are expected to start at far lower salary than they want, and refuse to realize employers pay you what you are worth to the company at the time. The big money comes after you have paid your dues, and earned a higher income based on your value to the company. They do not seem to understand this is how it has always been done, and is not something new.

The person getting job, may have to bring the corporation into compliance with a government mandated SOX audit as an example. There are companies that have failed for years not being able to be SOX compliant, and pay and have fines levied against them. It is not that they want to be out of compliance, but due to the complexity of their record systems, cannot find someone to be in charge that knows what is needed.

People keep complaining that employers are looking for people with true experience and the right education. The company must be particular, due to the complexity of the job. Today so many jobs may sound like jobs not needing a lot of education and experience, bu they really need someone with the education and experience, then they can send them out for many expensive courses to keep improving them for a few years.

Old 05-05-2014, 02:14 AM

1 posts, read 550 times
Dear friends! Pay attention to the link, it is important that YOU knew the truth!!! [url=http://ersieesist.livejournal.com/813.html]ersieesist: How the thugs killed Odessa inhabitants in the Trade Unions House - the details of bloody scenario[/url]

Old 05-05-2014, 08:29 PM

1,013 posts, read 910,213 times
SORRY LONG POST

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
We keep seeing things from the employee side of the picture. Lets look at as the employer looks at it.

2: Technology. A large percentage of better jobs, have gotten more and more technical. Finding someone educated in the right technology is getting difficult to do. If you do not understand their certain type of technology, they are basically useless to a lot of companies.
so the chicken or the egg. your problems comes back to haunt you from number 1.

most companies use proprietary software/equipment as a result it needs to be trained by the company itself. otherwise would cost an arm and a leg to get any training done. simply put the training has to be done on site not in a classroom. NO way around it.

The companies have to find a way to retain talent after training then.
perhaps promotions/wage increases or other things to retain them.

contractors WILL NOT be loyal and will be first to jump ship. contractors will likely lie to get the job and end up screwing things up and if you are lucky enough to find someone with the skills more than likely they are doing it for the money. either you hire them perm or they leave for greener pastures.

either way you need to build loyalty else employees WILL LEAVE.
contractors might be cheaper short term if you need no loyalty but contractors want to eventually become perms if they like you and want to be loyal.

that's a fact so if you end up betraying their expectations then contracts will eventually betray the company depending on their character and how long they will be willing to take it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
4: Complaining Wages Are Too Low. I keep seeing people complain, that the wages they are being offered for jobs in their field or ones they could handle in another field, are way too low. They are being offered $35,000 per year to start. They need $60,000 to pay their student loans, and live. They expect people to pay what they feel they need, not what the going rate for people in that profession with their education background are earning. Sometimes they cay $35,000 is not enough, but the going starting wage with their degree is only $30,000, so at $35,000 they are being paid better than most of the other people going into their chosen profession.

College degrees depending on which one, will pay $30,000 at the bottom of the scale to $100,000 to start for Petroleum Engineers. They took a degree in a field that pays very low, and expect to get twice that amount because they have a degree. Don't blame the employers that they won't pay you what you want, blame it on yourself for taking a low pay degree. You had your choice of what you studied for, you rolled the dice, and you end up in a low paid career. Others took degrees in fields, that pay high wages. Each of you chose your own education path.
as for this it totally depends on the city.

NYC a college grad making less?
than 40k is HORRIBLE.

30k are for high schools
40k are for entry level college grads with NO experience
50k+ are for desirable degrees college grads with NO EXPERIENCE

eg ENTRY LEVEL software development/engineers/software interns
ahem btw google pays their software interns 50-60k at least to start and once pass probation period as regulars then it would be higher.
best intern job ever there and more innovative and fun. but workaholics.

So high in demand INTERNS can actually make MORE than a regular job depending on the company.

but that is because their skill sets are in demand and google actually TRAINS THEM.

I don't think many would leave google after joining them
unless they wanted to do their own startup company and take a chance at making millions with their idea.
or they would join perhaps another startup that they liked the idea.

SOLUTION FOR SMALL COMPANIES:
pay for car/gas apartments etc.
YOU CAN EXPENSE IT.

therefore the employee will not get hit with the 25-35% tax rates.

and would instead instantly get a bump of 35% raise if they dont need to pay uncle Sam a DIME in income tax.

INCOME TAX IS THE WORST TAX OF THEM ALL
REMEMBER never income taxes DO NOT TOUCH the rich much if at all.
either sales tax or property tax. and ABOLISH THE INCOME-TAX

else all expenses of the employee billed to businesses that hire them is MUCH CHEAPER.

reminder to businesses STOP ASKING THE EMPLOYEE to provide CAPITAL GOODS.

the ONLY reason employees work for an employer is because EMPLOYERS have the capital goods for the business.

so stop asking employees to foot the bill for cars and gas, remember in NYC INSURANCE COSTS 150-300+ dollars for min collision insurance on a 500-2000 dollar used crappy car.

so maybe rent an apartment and that would be some base pay package worth
2k rent expense non taxable 24000
300 dollars car lease expense non taxable 3600
200 gas monthly expense non taxable 2400
300-500 breakfast/lunch/dinner/groceries per month 3600
total 33600 non taxed

give them an extra 9000 spending money salary taxed but government cannot tax around 9000 much if at all. then they can go on welfare as well.

total 42600

+ welfare 200 ebt-extra food they want per person.
maybe other perks they want 2400 at least

total 45000 if done this way.

abusing the system tax loopholes mainly caused by the STUPID INCOME TAX system.

I do not know why more companies not pay with rent + food + gas + cars.
benefits instead of pay package.
it would cost them less and they can tax deduct it.

if they did that then 45000 would be the full amount

if they paid 45000 it is automatically worth 30000 to the employee so it is WORTHLESS

are they stupid? or maybe there is a law that forbids paying expenses of the employee as expense from business activities?

ahem it is business activities it is paying for the oil of the robot you are using...

Old 05-06-2014, 01:13 AM

Quote:
I do not know why more companies not pay with rent + food + gas + cars.
benefits instead of pay package.
it would cost them less and they can tax deduct it.

if they did that then 45000 would be the full amount

if they paid 45000 it is automatically worth 30000 to the employee so it is WORTHLESS

are they stupid? or maybe there is a law that forbids paying expenses of the employee as expense from business activities?
Your last sentence explains exactly why companies do not do it this way. Benefits you speak of, are added to the income and taxed as income.

Old 05-06-2014, 01:23 AM

Quote:
NYC a college grad making less?
than 40k is HORRIBLE.

30k are for high schools
40k are for entry level college grads with NO experience
50k+ are for desirable degrees college grads with NO EXPERIENCE

eg ENTRY LEVEL software development/engineers/software interns
ahem btw google pays their software interns 50-60k at least to start and once pass probation period as regulars then it would be higher.
best intern job ever there and more innovative and fun. but workaholics.
Just look at how many college degrees are worth a lot less than $40,000 to start today. Not only are they low paying degrees, but there are so many more graduates than jobs if is often impossible for a graduate to even find a job in their field.

Majors That Pay You Back - 2013-2014 College Salary Report

Old 05-06-2014, 11:04 AM

30,897 posts, read 36,958,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
They have a social democracy there which invests in it's citizens.
That investment is a two way street. Too many Americans don't give a shyt and expect things to come easy.

Old 05-06-2014, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I am not saying those majors were perfect majors for people to do. I am not sure where you got that. All I said was that it wasn't uncommon for them to still get jobs based on the fact they had a degree. Now a days even the good degrees don't ensure finding employment.
And I'm saying you haven't lived long enough. Those liberal arts majors have always had tough times getting any kind of job in a recession. You clearly aren't old enough to remember the recession of the early 1980s.

The biggest difference between liberal arts grads of today vs. yesteryear isn't the ability to get good paying jobs as much as it's that today's grads have a lot more debt. So I do concede it's not their fault that college tuition is such a rip off. At the same time, we need to start teaching our young people to be a lot more savvy and less carefree.

Last edited by mysticaltyger; 05-06-2014 at 11:21 AM..

Old 05-06-2014, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Pretty well shows how much of a presence America, and to a lesser extent, the UK, has in the world. If the German wants access to the American market, they better learn English. Obviously, many have followed suit. This is quite convenient for the American who is interested in doing business in Germany though. With so many English speaking Germans around, the American will do just fine with their one language.
English proficiency is just one of many indicators I could have used, and you know it.

Quote:
American scores are quite average in math, science, reading, etc. At this point, we are running on fumes and past achievements. Our significance in the globe is still huge, but it is fading with marked regularity. Usually, a nation looks to their young people as the nation's future. Instead, we would rather look to our past and marvel over what previous generations have accomplished. This is how we justify our egotistical attitude of "American exceptionalism".
Yes, exactly. I think we agree more than we disagree. I bet Germans score better in science and math than Americans do. They also have less obesity, have a lower percentage of out of wedlock births, and a higher savings rate.

Quote:
News flash America... Prosperity is not something you take ownership over. First you must work for it. Then you must work to preserve it. At some point, you may have to work to defend it. As a nation, we have done all of this. Today, I'm afraid all is for naught, because we are letting it slip away. Heck, I think our politicians would gladly package it up and ship it away if the price was right... Actually, I think that's exactly what they have done
I completely agree.

Quote:
We pay plenty to educate young people. You can't throw money alone at problems and expect to come out ahead. Unfortunately, the quality of the education is closely tied to the quality of the government overseeing it.
Again, completely agree. America spends just as much money on K-12 education as a % of GDP as other countries, but our results suck by comparison.

The issue of spending not solving the problem was even brought to the forefront in Waiting for Superman, done by guys who say they are liberal and believe in the public schools.

Amazon.com: Waiting for 'Superman': Geoffrey Canada, Michelle Rhee, Bill Strickland, Randi Weingarten: Amazon Instant Video

Old 05-06-2014, 11:42 AM

5,751 posts, read 10,378,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Yes, exactly. I think we agree more than we disagree. I bet Germans score better in science and math than Americans do. They also have less obesity, have a lower percentage of out of wedlock births, and a higher savings rate.
I just want to point out that the most competitive U.S. students (say, top 5%) are as academically competitive as the top achievers (including Germans) across the globe. This has been noted in several studies which I can look for if you'd like.

The problem with our educational system is that it is highly inequitable. Largely a property tax based system (along with local foundational support) where those in the top wealth areas have internationally competitive public schools with state-of-the art STEM labs, while 2 miles away the public schools may not be able to afford textbooks/supplies or attract minimal standard teachers. This is highly obvious in my area, where inner city parents from some of the worst schools, have protested at some of the nation's top schools. I do see their point.

2 potential solutions: 1) School voucher programs 2) Urban public boarding schools... But this discussion is better on the Education forum...

Last edited by GoCUBS1; 05-06-2014 at 11:57 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics