Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2014, 03:24 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,952,353 times

Advertisements

I try to buy things made in the USA. I even pay more for things made here.

I refuse to buy crap just because it is made here because crap from here smells just as bad as crap made anywhere else.

I see lots of products being sold now with labels and stickers proclaiming "Made in the USA" and it is plain junk. Sorry manufacturing got outsourced and all that but I am not about to give up whatever living years I have left buying poorly made products because of the notion that demand will eventually allow manufacturing in the USA to get back to the top of class.

Produce the best and I'll buy it. Remember though, if someone else is making the best, then that is what I'm buying and that is all there is to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2014, 03:32 PM

32,650 posts, read 48,040,180 times
I try to buy Made In The USA, but it is difficult. I'm trying my best.

I am irritated that the government allows products made elsewhere to be labeled "Made In The USA" when only some little minor assembly was done here.

Old 03-22-2014, 04:20 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,952,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I try to buy Made In The USA, but it is difficult. I'm trying my best.

I am irritated that the government allows products made elsewhere to be labeled "Made In The USA" when only some little minor assembly was done here.
No kidding. Bought a pretty high end piece of equipment "Made in the USA" with huge stickers saying so. The electric motor is made in China.

While the motor works just fine and no doubt the company does their QA before assembly in the USA, to me, that doesn't qualify as "Made in the USA" since the motor is such an integral part of the equipment. Surely someone in the USA is making electric motors.

By comparison, a competing product not made in the USA costs several hundred dollars less but I got the Made in USA one. Just who was I doing a favor?

Old 03-22-2014, 04:32 PM

22,845 posts, read 6,437,988 times
I bought a throw blanket with a prominent tag that said "Designed in New England" thinking that it was
American made....Later I found a smaller tag on it that said "Made in China"......

Old 03-22-2014, 04:36 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
Made in USA is often not the best choice.

Clothing is a great example. You're pretty much limited to Italy, France and London.

With most motorized equipment, you're stuck with Japan or Germany.

However, most household items are available as manufactured in the USA and the quality is good.

Old 03-22-2014, 10:35 PM

29,823 posts, read 24,908,096 times
The made in America sticker is not a guarantee of the product's quality. Many American manufacturers are trying to compete on product price. Sure, they may be able to make a top notch product that offers durability and great life expectancy, but the price tag would have to be higher. So, the company tries to balance price point and quality in order to produce a product that will not only serve it's function, but will sell.

Basically put... If you're buying a made in America product with a made in China price tag, you shouldn't be too surprised if the product is lacking in quality. You get what you pay for, no matter the source.

I often hear that quality has dropped in most everything. There were always companies that made junk, and there always will be. The main reason is, customers will buy this junk, and keep buying it when it breaks down. If the customer wanted more, than they should have purchased the higher end model, and that only improves the odds of getting a higher quality product.

Another reason for the overwhelming amount of manufactured junk is people are demanding cheaper alternatives in almost everything. Manufacturers make products with their consumers in mind... Most of whom are watching their budgets very carefully. Cutting corners and cheapening the product is the surest way to move product in today's economy. Sure, there is some demand for higher end items, but not enough to support large scale production in many cases. So, these higher end products are cost prohibitive for the general public.

For many things, I will buy old second hand items. The reason is, if the items are still functional today, it tells me that they were made properly, and designed to last. If I buy something new, than I try to buy American. Not because I expect it to be perfect, but because quality control is better, and I like to support my country's economy when I can.

Old 03-24-2014, 12:13 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,580 posts, read 81,186,228 times
Reminds me of when I was looking for 50" TV and saw one with red lettering on the box that read "Built in the USA"
and in tiny print below it "Assembled in Detroit, MI from parts made in China". When you buy Samsung or LG, Korean companies, they could have been made in Korea, China or Japan, they have factories all over. When you buy a TV from a U.S. name like Westinghouse or Phillips, it was totally made in China, and will die within a month or two.

Old 03-24-2014, 01:06 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,176,487 times
I buy the best goods I can afford, regardless of where they come from. If two items are similar quality, one made in the US, the other not, I will buy the American item. I might pay a bit more for the American item.

I don't think quality has disappeared. Cars are better than ever, from all over the world. Although I generally avoid Apple products, I recognize their quality. And almost all of them are made in China.

Old 03-24-2014, 08:54 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
I buy the best goods I can afford, regardless of where they come from. If two items are similar quality, one made in the US, the other not, I will buy the American item. I might pay a bit more for the American item.

I don't think quality has disappeared. Cars are better than ever, from all over the world. Although I generally avoid Apple products, I recognize their quality. And almost all of them are made in China.
Apple products are only assembled in China. Most of the internal parts are actually made in the US, Korea and Japan. The Mac Pro is assembled in the US.

Old 03-24-2014, 10:11 PM

2,089 posts, read 3,907,034 times
The main issue in buying abroad is do you want to buy something made by 12 year-old girls in a sweatshop? Just know your purchasing sources-- be proud of what you own, wherever made.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics