Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 10:02 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,833,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by smalltownblues View Post
S I've been in there once, left without buying anything, and intermittently receive mailings from them -- the reason they're big is they have all these "high brow" foods. Like, they'll have something normal like popcorn and it'll be made from corn kernels that are imported from Germany and flavored with odd seasonings from the Middle East and you'll get it for six times any normal popcorn and all of their customers are like "this is to die for!!"
I think you've got Trader Joe's confused with Whole Foods, where the six time more expensive organic corn in the popcorn is hand-picked by Peruvian native peoples who get a competitive wage and dental insurance and it's labeled all fair trade and rainforest-friendly and stuff.

Trader Joe's is the cheaper stuff where you find things like shelf-stable Indian food in a foil pouch made by the same company that makes MREs for the Indian armed forces, (awesome for a quick lunch over some pita bread) and it's 30% cheaper than similar products you find in a Publix.

As for clothes, I prefer classic (ie. boring) to trendy, so try to look for decent quality I can wear for several years from the local good-sized outlet mall, preferably the clearance rack there, TJ Maxx/Marshall's, and a few web sites like The Clymb and Muji. My current casual raincoat cost me something like $22 during a Muji clearance sale and I'll probably get ten years of use from it. I don't really like clothes shopping- finding something fits right and is a reasonable price is so highly annoying that I want clothes that will last so I don't have to shop for clothes again any time soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2014, 10:08 PM

2,770 posts, read 2,603,217 times
I shopped at walmart today and the whole time I thought I was better than everyone there.

Old 04-06-2014, 10:13 PM

1,136 posts, read 941,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
I think you've got Trader Joe's confused with Whole Foods
Oh, no. Trader Joe's sends me their mailings on what looks like recycled paper (that's also to appeal to their clientele). I just looked at their website and you can access their "Fearless Flyer" which I assume is similar to the mailing. I don't receive it any more, since I don't live near a Trader Joe's. This week, it looks like they're advertising -- and this is directly from the website -- "Sliced Sun Dried Tomatoes in Olive Oil and Genova Pesto to Palak Paneer and Sriracha Sauce" as possible toppings for their pizza shells, as well as hand-stretched Naan that has been baked in an authentic clay oven, and organic blue corn tortilla chips.

But, yeah, Whole Foods is worse, from what I hear. I've never been in one, though.

Old 04-06-2014, 10:36 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,833,444 times
Mmmm palak paneer in foil pack... great for those times when you want some interesting flavors in a quick lunch but don't want to cook.

I go back and forth on Whole Foods- yes, the one's I've been in seem to have way too much floor space devoted to the overpriced food trend of the day, which is currently gluten-free high protein whatever. But sometimes the higher end stores have better prices on middlebrow goods than the discounters do. The times I've been in a Whole Foods, Their store brand coconut water (yeah I know, but really does ward off the migraines for me when I exercise outdoors in Florida heat) runs $1 a liter cheaper than what I can find elsewhere. Publix's price on Pomi boxed tomatoes- best tasting salt-free packaged tomatoes we've found- runs about $0.75 per box cheaper than what Walmart is charging for a 12 box pack online.

Old 04-06-2014, 10:40 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,966,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smalltownblues View Post
we enjoyed your family photos.
lol!

Old 04-06-2014, 10:40 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,589,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bannedontherun View Post
I wouldn't buy any of their meat or produce. The herd is considerably thinner at self checkout at WMs near me.

I buy meat all the time from Walmart, NEVER had a problem. Oh I guess their meat is not fru-fru-organic like some require....but you're just going to 88it it out anyways.

As for the produce.....WM seems like any other place I buy produce from.....you have to pick and choose among the best items, shocking!

Old 04-06-2014, 10:54 PM

8,781 posts, read 9,450,158 times
Walmart makes me want to hate everyone by the time I get what I wanted and check out.
People blocking half the aisle with their cart and the other half with their asses hanging out, children without a parent in sight ripping the place up, always something spilled on the floors, always people parked in front of the building blocking traffic, HORRIBLE staff that seems to know the store just as well as i do walking in blind, putting damaged merch back on shelves, always packed with the smallest walkways imaginationable.

I could go on but you get the idea

Old 04-06-2014, 11:00 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,589,306 times
It mainly comes down to price for me....Walmart is very competitive and the quality is decent.

Funny how the inventors of the Folsom Street Fair and various failed and filthy cities...seem to retch at the mere sight of a dumpy Walmart customer.

I used to shop at Safeway all the time. But the prices, most of the time, have gotten ridiculous.....meat being the worst.

Old 04-06-2014, 11:54 PM

2,438 posts, read 2,810,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rego00123 View Post
Walmart makes me want to hate everyone by the time I get what I wanted and check out.
People blocking half the aisle with their cart and the other half with their asses hanging out, children without a parent in sight ripping the place up, always something spilled on the floors, always people parked in front of the building blocking traffic, HORRIBLE staff that seems to know the store just as well as i do walking in blind, putting damaged merch back on shelves, always packed with the smallest walkways imaginationable.

I could go on but you get the idea
I think the self checkouts are great for people who have social disorders. I personally want to skip all the communication in a regular check-out. In most of our super-center stores, they are up to almost 20-22 self-checkouts. Pretty easy... touch the buttons and you're done. I do think they need a switch of low, medium and high on the computer voice of the self check out. Wearing one ear bud in my ear helps me and listening to music.

Old 04-07-2014, 04:26 AM
Zot

468 posts, read 681,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
Do you really think any other local store or mall has different clientèle? 93% of adults in the U.S. shop at a Walmart every year. You are falling for a union rouse, and mocking yourself without understanding it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics