U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 07:17 AM

30,374 posts, read 31,251,406 times

Advertisements

When did you file your federal and state taxes and how long did it take you to receive each of those refunds (for those of you due refunds)? What method did you use to file your taxes and did you choose to have your refund as a check in the mail or as direct deposit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2014, 09:56 AM

5,293 posts, read 20,726,343 times
I usually file in late March / early April and schedule my payment to be taken on 4/15 (I never get a refund). I pay quarterly on or about the due date.

Old 04-09-2014, 10:53 PM

11,436 posts, read 13,990,339 times
I filed this year in mid-February (I knew I was receiving a refund) and received a refund 2 weeks later.

Old 04-11-2014, 06:02 PM

4,970 posts, read 14,014,533 times
Electronically filed federal 1/31 refund direct deposit 2/6
Electronically filed state 2/4 refund direct deposit 2/12

Old 04-11-2014, 07:18 PM

14,407 posts, read 16,326,270 times
For those that file electronically, what is the fee for this? Can you file electronically if you do your own taxes? I guess you have to use web based software in order to file electronically?

I want to go electronic, but want to be able to fill out the forms myself. I hate the software that asks you questions but doesn't allow you to read the forms/line numbers instead. I guess I am looking for online tax forms in the same format that comes from the IRS, with ability to submit them electronically.

Old 04-11-2014, 07:38 PM

2,429 posts, read 3,059,538 times
First: FREE FILE FILLABLE FORMS ARE NOT FILED DIRECTLY TO THE IRS:

http://thefinancebuff.com/free-file-...-with-irs.html

(You do know all this was a back door deal struck with the tax preparation industry, right? In this day and age there's NO good reason we shouldn't all be able to file electronically for free DIRECTLY to the IRS. BUT no....that would put many accountants and tax preparers out of business so they lobbied Congress AGAINST allowing us to be able to do that. And they made donations and won, we didn't.)
----------------------------------

If your AGI is more than 58K -- you CAN'T use the Free File option that prompts you like Turbo tax and other software does.

While on the IRS web site you'll notice an option called FILLABLE FORMS -- THIS is the only way you can file for free. It's just like filling out the paper forms, only more complicated -- of course. So there IS a learning curve to get it right, and some of the directions could be considered down right contradictory.

BUT you'll notice that you'll click 'fillable forms' and a prompt will say you're leaving the IRS site and going to a THIRD PARTY site, set up by the tax preparation industry for THEM to submit the form. A THIRD PARTY will have your information!

It says something like: "Please note that by clicking on this link, you will leave the IRS web site and enter a privately owned web site created, operated and maintained by a private business."

WHY is that even needed? WHO is keeping OR has access to our info. The prompt says the IRS isn't "endorsing" the fillable forms web site. But it's linking to it -- an that's the only way to file electronically for free is you don't want to buy tax prep software.

Google Free File Alliance MOST of what you'll find from the IRS is PR BS. Why is a third party alliance even needed? Why can't we file for free right to the IRS? NO reason other Congress caved to the tax prep industry. Someone did some digging and found out that the clicks on the links to the fillable forms are actually rotated among sites run by HR Block, Turno tax etc. -- because of course they're part of the alliance. WE NEVER know that. NOWHERE is that stated

I used the fillable forms last year with no problem. This year went to do the same and got hung up at the last 'submit' prompt. I just printed it out and mailed it.

============
Here's one post from the site I linked above:

Quote:
I heard that the irs has promised to NEVER offer free on-line filing at their website in exchange for the big companies (turbo, h&r, etc) doing some free electronic filing every year for qualifying individuals. the money always talks. and now the irs and many states force tax preparers to efile returns if they prepare more than 10 returns/year. in order to e-file, a preparer who files 40 to 50 returns a year has to purchase a software program for hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars to prepare those returns.

for the big companies with their huge volume of poorly done, over-priced returns this is no big deal. $5000 for a program used for 200,000 returns is cheap. but for someone who only does 300 returns a year it gets spendy and has to be passed on to the clients.

so in essence they are, as usual, driving out the small businesses in return for big box stores.

Last edited by rdflk; 04-11-2014 at 07:52 PM..

Old 04-12-2014, 03:45 PM

14,407 posts, read 16,326,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdflk View Post
First: FREE FILE FILLABLE FORMS ARE NOT FILED DIRECTLY TO THE IRS:

Free File Fillable Forms: Not Directly With IRS

(You do know all this was a back door deal struck with the tax preparation industry, right? In this day and age there's NO good reason we shouldn't all be able to file electronically for free DIRECTLY to the IRS. BUT no....that would put many accountants and tax preparers out of business so they lobbied Congress AGAINST allowing us to be able to do that. And they made donations and won, we didn't.)
----------------------------------

If your AGI is more than 58K -- you CAN'T use the Free File option that prompts you like Turbo tax and other software does.

While on the IRS web site you'll notice an option called FILLABLE FORMS -- THIS is the only way you can file for free. It's just like filling out the paper forms, only more complicated -- of course. So there IS a learning curve to get it right, and some of the directions could be considered down right contradictory.

BUT you'll notice that you'll click 'fillable forms' and a prompt will say you're leaving the IRS site and going to a THIRD PARTY site, set up by the tax preparation industry for THEM to submit the form. A THIRD PARTY will have your information!

It says something like: "Please note that by clicking on this link, you will leave the IRS web site and enter a privately owned web site created, operated and maintained by a private business."

WHY is that even needed? WHO is keeping OR has access to our info. The prompt says the IRS isn't "endorsing" the fillable forms web site. But it's linking to it -- an that's the only way to file electronically for free is you don't want to buy tax prep software.

Google Free File Alliance MOST of what you'll find from the IRS is PR BS. Why is a third party alliance even needed? Why can't we file for free right to the IRS? NO reason other Congress caved to the tax prep industry. Someone did some digging and found out that the clicks on the links to the fillable forms are actually rotated among sites run by HR Block, Turno tax etc. -- because of course they're part of the alliance. WE NEVER know that. NOWHERE is that stated

I used the fillable forms last year with no problem. This year went to do the same and got hung up at the last 'submit' prompt. I just printed it out and mailed it.

============
Here's one post from the site I linked above:
Is "Free Fillable Forms" free only for those that make < $58k/year AGI?

Old 04-12-2014, 03:53 PM

6,718 posts, read 11,187,950 times
This is the first year I used Turbotax (as opposed to manually filling out forms by myself.) Got my refund in like 4 days, seriously.

Old 04-12-2014, 04:47 PM

2,429 posts, read 3,059,538 times
I thought this was clear.....
UNDER 58K -- you can use regular FREE file -- which does basic prompt like Tax Slayer, Complete Tax, Turbo Tax, TaxACT, or H&R Block would do. (but not as extensive as the programs you buy, I don't think)
OVER 58K -- you can NOT use FREE file per se. You have to either:

1) BUY software to file electronically (like Tax Slayer, Complete Tax Turbo Tax, TaxACT, or H&R Block and many others -- which will "Help you" fill out the forms, by prompting you and telling you what to add, and asking you "do you have biz expenses?" or "did you pay for education?," etc. once you're done you can file for free. But you've paid for the software. (AND your STATE return usually isn't free)

OR--
2) use quote "Free File" fillable forms. You enter the amounts and numbers as you would on paper. You are NOT prompted or asked any questions. YOU have to know what you want to do, what your eligible for.

I've done it. And there is a learning curve. Before I even attempted to use the forms I read all the FAQ's, Help Pages, and "things to know" about it on the IRS website -- and the third party private business site you're forwarded to to get to the fillable forms. You need to know how to 'add forms,' what to enter on certain lines and not others, how to fill out your W2 so you can 'attached' that info, what to do if you want to start the forms save and come back later....plus you need certain info handy before you can even start.

OF COURSE YOU CAN ALSO -- use the fillable forms just to have the forms filled out, and have the math done for you -- and then just print it all that out and mail it in. Mindful that even though you didn't FILE electronically, that third party site still has your info.

So IF that's all you're going to do - -just fill out the forms like paper forms -- and privacy is a concern -- just print out blank forms right from the IRS website and fill out the paper anyway. The only advatage to fillable forms at that point is it does some of the math for you.

Last edited by rdflk; 04-12-2014 at 04:58 PM..

Old 04-16-2014, 01:41 AM

6,275 posts, read 6,116,041 times
Personally I know a "tax preparer". His only job is to file taxes for other individuals, nothing else.
He lives in a nice community in our town and take vacations for months every year. Basically he only works 3 months per year.

Surprisingly, he told me many young people with low income such as waitresses also ask him for help. They may get a few hundred dollars back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or