Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2014, 12:02 PM

4,439 posts, read 5,508,495 times

Advertisements

I've been hearing a lot of talk about how "unearned income" is the source of society's ills, namely the great divide between the rich and poor, and I'm curious if it's possible to have a society where the collection of interest is strictly prohibited.

That is, if you loan out, say, $100,000, then you can only be repaid back that exact amount, with no interest. Convsersely, if you have money in the bank, it'd not draw interest either - it'd just be there for safekeeping purposes only. This way, people wouldn't be able to live off other people's labor simply be amassing large amounts of cash. But then again, it'd be hard to get a mortgage to buy a house, or to borrow money to start a business - but perhaps the government could fulfill the role of banks by providing zero-interest loans. As for owning shares in a corporation by way of shares of stock, I think this should be replaced by worker ownership of all corporations, so that only the people that actually do the work for the company get to reap the rewards of the company's profits. I've never understood the rationale for people to live off other people's labor simply having the good fortune of owning stocks, bonds, etc. If a person wants to be rich, let them EARN that money though their actual labor, not sit back and collect interest / dividend payments without lifting a finger.

So, the question I'm posing is how such a society would function, whether it's even feasible in the first place, and if so, would our collective standard of living be higher than we currently enjoy, or would we be worse off? Personally, I think the rich would be decimated in such a society, but the majority would benefit - just imagine the savings of zero interest mortgages and being able to reap 100% the fruits of one's labor. Just my opinion of course - what's yours?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2014, 02:56 PM

1,914 posts, read 2,232,769 times
You don't really know anything about how an economy works, do you?

Old 04-19-2014, 03:09 PM

10,514 posts, read 5,563,011 times
Do you really believe that capital has no value?

Old 04-19-2014, 03:33 PM
Zot

468 posts, read 679,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post
Is a society that has no interest on money possible?
Beyond hunter gathering / early stone age, no.

Old 04-19-2014, 04:58 PM

4,439 posts, read 5,508,495 times
To answer the above replies, I consider myself an Economic Atheist - the "science" of econmics is no different than religion in my mind - something I don't believe in. So yes, not only do I not understand economics, I don't believe in it. It's just a bunch of rich old men that sit around justifying a few super-rich in a sea of poor, plain and simple.

But to put my post in proper context, I'm exploring "alternative" economic systems for the purpose of writing a science fiction novel, not as a political statement. I suppose there aren't too many "free thinkers" in this forum, at least not so far...lol.

And besides, anyone ever heard of the FED, who controls interest rates simply by fiat? It's really all about control - them against us. Someday, the "us" will win out against "them" - I can only hope I'm lucky enough to see that in my lifetime.

Old 04-19-2014, 06:56 PM

898 posts, read 1,214,071 times
islamic nations have been doing this since 630. banks and even mutual funds/investments are now offered free of "riba" (interest translation from arabic) in western countries. this is not something new. you can read the business models out right on the internet at these various companies.

Old 04-19-2014, 07:16 PM

21,054 posts, read 19,537,471 times
This raises an interesting topic. One of the reasons that the Jews became so economically powerfull in Europe is because they could charge interest but Christians could not.

Usury - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-19-2014, 11:42 PM

4,709 posts, read 5,038,995 times
Quote:
I've been hearing a lot of talk about how "unearned income" is the source of society's ills, namely the great divide between the rich and poor, and I'm curious if it's possible to have a society where the collection of interest is strictly prohibited.
It is simple, reclaim "economic rent" and "unearned income". Use this to pay for all public services. Commonly created wealth pays for common services. Very sensible - very simple. Economic rent confuses many. It is where there is no enterprise and or cost of production. In short someone else made the wealth, which invariably is the community - commonly created wealth.

Then the existing money system can continue. Of course reclaiming commonly created wealth does not get rid of a bad banking system, a bad planning system, etc. But it is one hell of a great base to come from providing a stable economic base that eliminates boom and busts and encourages enterprise. If too much "economic rent" and "unearned income" is reclaimed for public use, then this can be given back in the form of a Citizens Dividend.

Old 04-19-2014, 11:45 PM

Quote:
the "science" of econmics is no different than religion in my mind
Economics is not a science.

Old 04-19-2014, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaofan View Post
You don't really know anything about how an economy works, do you?
He knows the one we have now is fundamentally flawed. That is great start.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics