Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does Price Gouging Exist?
I've studied economics and price gouging DOES exist. 32 49.23%
I've studied economics and price gouging DOESN'T exist 12 18.46%
I haven't studied economics and price gouging DOES exist. 21 32.31%
I haven't studied economics and price gouging DOESN'T exist. 0 0%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2014, 03:50 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,703,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_the_facts View Post
Price gouging does exist. Just compare the cost of prescription drugs in America to the cost of prescription drugs in Canada.
Yet, that's not a case of price gouging because it is not the product of exploitation of a temporary condition.

What you're referring to is more basic market manipulation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2014, 04:06 AM

5,177 posts, read 4,790,366 times
The poll questions need some adjustment:

Does Price Gouging Exist?
I've studied economics and price gouging DOES exist.
I've studied economics and price gouging DOESN'T exist
I haven't studied economics and price gouging DOES exist.
I haven't studied economics and price gouging DOESN'T exist.

Suggested clarification choices:

"I've studied human behaviour and price gougers do exist"

"I've never studied human behaviour and price gougers do not exist"

"I'm a True Believer that free market capitalism is the be all and end all of human behaviour"

"I believe in free market economics, but I also realize there are people who will exploit their fellow humans, especially in disasters and emergencies"

You get the idea. The situation is more complex than the poll questions presume.

Last edited by chuckmann; 04-25-2014 at 04:17 AM..

Old 04-25-2014, 05:46 AM

10,733 posts, read 5,664,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
Gues your not very well versed on the BNSF railways freedom to basically charge whatever they wish to haul coal.............they are the only one available to compete. A monopoly in every way except name.
You can beat your premise to death about the non-existence of price gouging.........but it is alive and well.
If BNSF is engaging in predatory practices due to monopoly power, it would be incumbent upon those harmed to seek redress in the courts. Or perhaps they could simply ship their coal by truck.

But to better address your contention that BNSF is engaged in "price gouging" let's consider the following. BNSF is currently charging X to haul coal (I have no idea what their coal hauling rate is, but a simple variable will suffice to illustrate the point). If, as you contend, BNSF has the "freedom to basically charge whatever they wish" then why are they charging X instead of 2X or 3X or 100X?

I await your answer.

Old 04-25-2014, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckmann View Post
The poll questions need some adjustment:

Does Price Gouging Exist?
I've studied economics and price gouging DOES exist.
I've studied economics and price gouging DOESN'T exist
I haven't studied economics and price gouging DOES exist.
I haven't studied economics and price gouging DOESN'T exist.

Suggested clarification choices:

"I've studied human behaviour and price gougers do exist"

"I've never studied human behaviour and price gougers do not exist"

"I'm a True Believer that free market capitalism is the be all and end all of human behaviour"

"I believe in free market economics, but I also realize there are people who will exploit their fellow humans, especially in disasters and emergencies"

You get the idea. The situation is more complex than the poll questions presume.
Since you believe that price gouging exists, the following should be easy for you.

Tell me, specifically, what I need to do to be able to be a "price gouger" and exploit my customers today at my gas station and mini mart. I would like to be able to sell my gas at the "price gouger" price of $6-7/gallon.

How do I do it?

And after a hurricane, when gas is selling for $6 or so, I want to be able to exploit my customers and sell them my gas for $15/gallon.

Again, how do I do it?

Old 04-25-2014, 08:22 AM

7,473 posts, read 4,014,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
If BNSF is engaging in predatory practices due to monopoly power, it would be incumbent upon those harmed to seek redress in the courts. Or perhaps they could simply ship their coal by truck.

But to better address your contention that BNSF is engaged in "price gouging" let's consider the following. BNSF is currently charging X to haul coal (I have no idea what their coal hauling rate is, but a simple variable will suffice to illustrate the point). If, as you contend, BNSF has the "freedom to basically charge whatever they wish" then why are they charging X instead of 2X or 3X or 100X?

I await your answer.
One example..........Burlington Northern Railroad - FORTUNE Features
The use of the word gouging is used here..........

Last edited by jeffdoorgunner; 04-25-2014 at 08:24 AM.. Reason: clarification

Old 04-25-2014, 11:53 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,889,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
Since you believe that price gouging exists, the following should be easy for you.

Tell me, specifically, what I need to do to be able to be a "price gouger" and exploit my customers today at my gas station and mini mart. I would like to be able to sell my gas at the "price gouger" price of $6-7/gallon.

How do I do it?

And after a hurricane, when gas is selling for $6 or so, I want to be able to exploit my customers and sell them my gas for $15/gallon.

Again, how do I do it?
Your fallacy is that you are saying that because laws prevent it, it cannot happen. Laws like that would have to be enacted due past price gouging correct? Theoretic laws could never pass, you need to have an emotional appeal. When a business man, like you raises your prices of gas too high for lower class and middle class after a hurricane so they cannot get to their place of work and this has happened. I rather see sandy situations with odd/even days and limits on gas during shortages to keep demand somewhat steady. Two North Jersey gas stations fined for price gouging during Superstorm Sandy - NJ State News - NorthJersey.com and Gas station fines won't be enough to stop future price gouging - Patrick Crowley - Newsday prove that price gouging has happened. Now it isn't the double the price threshold I hold but of the three, one jumped up $0.70 in a week despite the odd/even rationing.

Old 04-25-2014, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
One example..........Burlington Northern Railroad - FORTUNE Features
The use of the word gouging is used here..........
While you quoted it, you failed to address the key point of my post. Care to try again?

Quote:

Old 04-25-2014, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Your fallacy is that you are saying that because laws prevent it, it cannot happen. Laws like that would have to be enacted due past price gouging correct? Theoretic laws could never pass, you need to have an emotional appeal. When a business man, like you raises your prices of gas too high for lower class and middle class after a hurricane so they cannot get to their place of work and this has happened. I rather see sandy situations with odd/even days and limits on gas during shortages to keep demand somewhat steady. Two North Jersey gas stations fined for price gouging during Superstorm Sandy - NJ State News - NorthJersey.com and Gas station fines won't be enough to stop future price gouging - Patrick Crowley - Newsday prove that price gouging has happened. Now it isn't the double the price threshold I hold but of the three, one jumped up $0.70 in a week despite the odd/even rationing.
I believe that I said it in another post, but failed to say it here. What I was trying to convey is below:

Quote:
Absent any laws against "price gouging" tell me, specifically, what I need to do to be able to be a "price gouger" and exploit my customers today at my gas station and mini mart. I would like to be able to sell my gas at the "price gouger" price of $6-7/gallon.

How do I do it?

Again, how do I do it?
My point is not, "because laws prevent it, it cannot happen" but rather, in the absence of any law against it, it cannot happen. There is no mechanism that will allow a business owner to charge, and get, more than the market determined price for a product. If you think there is a way for that to happen, please explain.

Old 04-25-2014, 05:01 PM

459 posts, read 484,792 times
TaxPhD, you are willfully obtuse. The fact that you can't price gouge *infinitely*, because demand is not *perfectly* inelastic, and you don't have a *perfect* monopoly, does not mean NO gouging exists.

You commit a slippery slope or line-drawing fallacy in every post and your objections have been answered by several posters several times. I myself answered the specific query you laid out very directly a few pages ago and you did not respond to its substance.

Old 04-25-2014, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwhitegocubs View Post
TaxPhD, you are willfully obtuse. The fact that you can't price gouge *infinitely*, because demand is not *perfectly* inelastic, and you don't have a *perfect* monopoly, does not mean NO gouging exists.

You commit a slippery slope or line-drawing fallacy in every post and your objections have been answered by several posters several times. I myself answered the specific query you laid out very directly a few pages ago and you did not respond to its substance.
Perhaps I missed it. What's the post #?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics