Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does Price Gouging Exist?
I've studied economics and price gouging DOES exist. 32 49.23%
I've studied economics and price gouging DOESN'T exist 12 18.46%
I haven't studied economics and price gouging DOES exist. 21 32.31%
I haven't studied economics and price gouging DOESN'T exist. 0 0%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2014, 02:41 PM

10,745 posts, read 5,672,124 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Price-gouging is the act of setting the price of goods or services far above Market rates.
If the market price is $10, how does one charge, and get $20? It is a simple question, and no one has answered it yet.

Quote:
You want it objectively defined? That depends on consensus.....let's say greater than Market Rate + Price Elasticity + 50% is price-gouging.
Help me out here. How do you add price and elasticity? That's like adding apples and oranges.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2014, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
It is not impossible.

The $55,000 appendectomy?

That is price-gouging.

Nearly 100% of your medical costs are price-gouging.

The hospital charged $55,000 but then accepted ~$11,000 in payment from an insurance company.

That is prima facie evidence of classic price-gouging.
What you have described is an $11,000 appendectomy, not a $55,000 appendectomy. If the market price is $11,000, why would anyone pay $55,000? Answer - they won't.

Quote:
But how much did it really cost? $2,800? And what is the Market Rate?
Other than setting a price floor if one wants to stay in business, and being a factor in cost-plus contracts, cost has little if anything to do with the price.

Quote:
$17 for two Tylenol tablets? Really? At the time, my friend could have walked a block to the United Dairy Farmers store and bought three 500 count bottles for less than $15.
If what you describe is accurate, you would have to admit that your friend was foolish to pay $17 for two Tylenol.

Quote:
The Cincinnati Enquirer discovered that doctors can charge $13,000 for open-heart surgery, and make a profit....
And what does that have to do with the market price for open heart surgery?

Quote:
...yet as they also discovered, hospitals illegally collude to illegally fix prices at $26,000 to $41,000 in order to price-gouge consumers.
Collusion for purposes of illegal price fixing is not what this thread is about.

Old 05-05-2014, 01:28 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,371,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
What you have described is an $11,000 appendectomy, not a $55,000 appendectomy. If the market price is $11,000, why would anyone pay $55,000? Answer - they won't.

Other than setting a price floor if one wants to stay in business, and being a factor in cost-plus contracts, cost has little if anything to do with the price.

If what you describe is accurate, you would have to admit that your friend was foolish to pay $17 for two Tylenol.

And what does that have to do with the market price for open heart surgery?

Collusion for purposes of illegal price fixing is not what this thread is about.
Mircea is right on a lot of these things.

Why would someone pay 55K instead of 11K? Because when they need a appendectomy they can't exactly price shop-especially since many hospitals wont tell you the price in advance. How can you type stuff like that?

Cost has everything to do with price....unless you're price gouging.

I'm making a guess you don't actually have a phd despite your handle here. Mirceas pretty accurate here on this topic. I even repped him for some of it.

Old 05-06-2014, 01:59 PM

215 posts, read 351,143 times
Quote:
Does price gouging exist? Is it possible for a non-governmental entity to price gouge?

If you believe price gouging exists, please describe what you understand price gouging to be.
You would be very ignorant to believe that collusion in markets is non-existent.
Industry leaders meet to control inventory and materials to make the products that are regularly consumed.

Old 05-06-2014, 03:22 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post

Why would someone pay 55K instead of 11K? Because when they need a appendectomy they can't exactly price shop-especially since many hospitals wont tell you the price in advance. How can you type stuff like that?

I'm making a guess you don't actually have a phd despite your handle here. Mirceas pretty accurate here on this topic. I even repped him for some of it.
The health industry is unique. I suggest reading this article and watch the videos in it. Family fights $474K hospital bill – Anderson Cooper 360 - CNN.com Blogs

Hospitals are known to gouge prices. They have high overhead don't get me wrong but they nickle and dime customers along the way. The paper cup you get your pills in cost as little as get this $0.02 yet charge $12 for it, 600 times the cost.

Old 05-06-2014, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post

The point was very simple. It wasn't a $55,000 appendectomy, it was an $11,000 appendectomy, and the price paid was $11,000. Sorry you didn't get it.

Quote:
Sorry but you couldn't be more wrong.

Here is a little scenario to help you understand this simple concept.

Assume that you have 20 ounces of gold. You purchased 10 ounces many years ago for $200 per ounce. The other 10 ounces you purchased more recently at the five year high of $1,900 per ounce. You plan to sell of your gold today, and the spot price for gold is right around $1,300. Tell us, precisely, how your costs of $200 and $1,900 affect the price at which you sell your gold.

Quote:
I'm making a guess you don't actually have a phd despite your handle here.
Nice ad hominem. But it doesn't change the fact that you aren't doing a very good job at addressing the issues.

Old 05-06-2014, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog_Gone View Post
You would be very ignorant to believe that collusion in markets is non-existent.
Industry leaders meet to control inventory and materials to make the products that are regularly consumed.
Of course collusion exists. But what you describe is not generally what people are talking about when discussing "price gouging."

Old 05-06-2014, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
The health industry is unique. I suggest reading this article and watch the videos in it. Family fights $474K hospital bill – Anderson Cooper 360 - CNN.com Blogs

Hospitals are known to gouge prices. They have high overhead don't get me wrong but they nickle and dime customers along the way. The paper cup you get your pills in cost as little as get this $0.02 yet charge $12 for it, 600 times the cost.
Yes it is.

Given the existence of things like insurance (both private and government), laws requiring hospitals to provide medical care regardless of ability to pay, bills that are regularly adjusted down or completely written off, and hospital/medical pricing is very different from the typical "there was a hurricane and now gasoline and bottled water are more expensive" types of "price gouging" that are commonly discussed.

Old 05-07-2014, 06:38 AM

215 posts, read 351,143 times
Quote:
Of course collusion exists. But what you describe is not generally what people are talking about when discussing "price gouging."
Gouging is a result from collusion. Gouging is very obvious without collusion.

Old 05-07-2014, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog_Gone View Post
Gouging is very obvious without collusion.
Since it is very obvious, this should be easy for you. Tell me, precisely, how I can go about charging, and getting, more than the market determined price for my goods.

I'll wait while you formulate your answer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics