Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2014, 09:05 PM

821 posts, read 1,100,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VendorDude View Post
Yes, education is ruining our children. That makes so much sense.
Some elements of the educational system are ruining our children for sure! Education is fine, IF it serves a specific purpose, but it is not given in a vacuum! People teach and people go to school with other people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2014, 09:45 PM

821 posts, read 1,100,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
A lot of these McJobs have been taken by older workers(especially over 50) who have been laid off from their lifelong careers and will possibly never work in them again. Low end jobs are not just for teenagers or retirees anymore.
What are you talking about? That granny slaving over a greasebin of French fries or that middle aged schlep serving your coffee at Starbucks are doing so to "keep busy" and "make themselves feel useful".

Like what would you do with all that free time during retirement? "You wouldn't know what to do with yourself." You'd want to be "productive". And what is productive about taking European cruises, home renovation, hobbies, finally taking some time to read those novels you always wanted to, hanging with the grandkids, and so on? Bupkis!

You know, it's similar to women who remain working when they have kids. They run themselves ragged on purpose, tending to kids, home, and work, because they really "love their jobs", not because they need the money.

(At least I crack myself up.)

Old 05-11-2014, 10:22 PM

2,485 posts, read 2,218,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLS2753 View Post
The trend of warm and fuzzy, build self-esteem child raising, is at odds with the trend of the hostile and predatory nature of the modern workplace. Perhaps an over simplification of Gen Y's issues, but I have to believe it's a big part of it.
Quite a good point. This warm and fuzzy self esteem parenting helps explain the problems of American youth today. Interestingly, young whites in particular. Amy Chua wrote about her tiger mom parenting style. She disdains the post 1960s parenting style and attributes that to the decline of American competitiveness and rigor.

Look at these barista white kids. They are just not competitive anymore. They still think they are going to expect a middle class lifestyle. They still think it's the good old days. In this economy, you have to be aggressive and assertive.

Old 05-12-2014, 12:00 PM

1,974 posts, read 1,938,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
That does not surprise me.... I had a similar experience. I worked at McDonald's one summer as a teenager. I also think jobs dealing with the general public, in rushed situations (e.g. fast food service), can teach a young person a lot about dealing with all types of people in a patient, positive way, which is a very valuable skill.

and what about those teens who cannot handle the fast paste nature of service jobs. my first job was being a janitor

Old 05-12-2014, 12:19 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,889,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Costaexpress View Post
Quite a good point. This warm and fuzzy self esteem parenting helps explain the problems of American youth today. Interestingly, young whites in particular. Amy Chua wrote about her tiger mom parenting style. She disdains the post 1960s parenting style and attributes that to the decline of American competitiveness and rigor.

Look at these barista white kids. They are just not competitive anymore. They still think they are going to expect a middle class lifestyle. They still think it's the good old days. In this economy, you have to be aggressive and assertive.
I am sure that has something to do with it. We had an economic high tide and more it is back to a low tide. The problem is parents just aren't parents and teachers aren't true teachers. They don't correct action so kids don't realize how screed up they are until it's too late.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meester-Chung View Post
and what about those teens who cannot handle the fast paste nature of service jobs. my first job was being a janitor
Pick anyone of these canned responses.:
You aren't good enough.
You didn't try hard enough.
You are too much of an individual little snowflake.

That is likely the response you get. I'd insert an eye roll but you cannot on mobile replies.

Old 05-17-2014, 07:42 PM

316 posts, read 214,472 times
I haven't read all the comments yet, but it is easy to think teens are lazier. However, you have to consider some of them mow lawns, baby, sit, and paper routes, etc. These jobs likely pay as much or more than MW. Just because they don't' have public jobs does not equal non-working..And of course, the anti-education sentiment is alive and well.

Old 05-19-2014, 03:08 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,403,886 times
Don't sleep on my generation. "Millenials" are coming to take your jobs

Old 05-27-2014, 10:53 AM

820 posts, read 1,209,095 times
Its hard for teens to get jobs, when you have uneducated 30/40 year old's, taking jobs meant for teens. Blame the economy w.e you want I'm pretty sure these people had the ability to get into a better situation. Don't blame the kids, blame the parents for being failures.

Old 05-27-2014, 10:57 AM

24,529 posts, read 10,846,327 times
We have teens in our neighborhood (15, 16, 17). Generation Gimmie of the finest. Please do not blame it on peer pressure but on parental indulgence.

Old 05-27-2014, 12:35 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,570 posts, read 81,147,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conqueringfools View Post
LOL I live in a very middle class neighborhood and I don't see ANY KIDS mowing lawns, doing paper routes and even baby sitting. Hell I'd be surprised our stupid government even allows baby sitting anymore. God forbid a young person starts a lemonade stand without a permit. All the Mexicans around here are mowing all the lawns. I spent my summers mowing lawns as a teen making pretty good money. I don't think my two teen nephews know how to start a lawn mower let alone put gas in one. But hey they could take you to task in Call of Duty.
Our paper is delivered my a middle aged guy by car. Even people with teenage kids are mowing the lawn themselves or paying a landscaping service.Our fast food places have more senior citizens than teenagers working there. If you go to the 3 high schools in our city the parking lots are full of cars driven by students, Mom and Dad pay for the car and for the gas and insurance. I think this is typical of what's left of the middle class. Our nearest McDonalds was offering well over minimum wage and getting people from much less affluent areas who could make more even with the bus fare than in the city where they live. Parents want their kids to get that 4.0 average to get a scholarship and compete for a good job so they are given everything they need (and want). The problem is they don't learn responsibility, and don't develop a work ethic. When they get that degree they too often expect a good salary but are not prepared to work hard 8 hours a day.

(We too have had young kids cited for lemonade stands without a permit).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics