Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2014, 08:05 PM

1,690 posts, read 2,060,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
Not exactly.

Many people are stuck in areas that may have been doing fine, but are now underwater and can't afford to move. I had a family member in Orlando who lost his job (wife kept hers), and even though they had enough to pay the mortgage, they were likely pretty well underwater, so that anchored them to Florida.

Sometimes a place just won't sell at any price. I used to work in southwest Virginia and the economy in most of those counties is in a state of collapse. The worst and most isolated counties have seen outmigration for fifty years. If you are there for whatever reason, it would be difficult to sell at any price.

Other people will often accept a diminished standard of living because of either inertia or fear. Some feel the job market is terrible everywhere and don't try, even if that isn't the case. Others don't care. I have probably a dozen friends from high school and college that simply won't leave this area - who knows why.

Others stay where they are because of long-time roots in the area with family and friends. Maybe the grandparents provide free child care, even though their job isn't the greatest. Maybe they just don't want to leave.

This board probably skews toward the more educated and professionally minded, who are often more apt to move to where the jobs are. From what I see anecdotally, those who do move often do so for some personal reason first, and then get a job. Out of those I know in my day to day life, I am the only one I can think of who specifically moved to an area just for the job.
If this is completely true, I would consider you living in Texas, Utah, or North Dakota
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2014, 11:34 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,477,758 times
We are crawling back slowly. Most new jobs are $10 so that number needs to trend up or more will be living with parents/mobile homes/roomates.

There is an important stat everyone seems to not realize. Money velocity. If money isn't circulating we have a real problem. Velocity of M2 Money Stock - FRED - St. Louis Fed

The doesn't paint a rosy picture no matter how you slice it. Our economy is dependent on people buying crap from China and that chart shows most are still saving and hunkering down.

An individuals goals of being a good saver are in direct conflict with the needs of the US economy. So either people get more money to buy junk or we ain't going nowhere.

Old 06-18-2014, 06:57 PM

6,822 posts, read 6,633,481 times
housing bubble, student loan bubble, hyperinflation of the dollar, baby boomers entering retirement (ie receiving social funding/healthcare to live), job outsourcing to other countries, etc etc..

yep the economy is running well. If anyone actually thinks that I have some things to sell them.

Old 06-19-2014, 10:19 AM

1,704 posts, read 749,091 times
There are many things that have negatively affected gainful employment here in the U.S. The first of which was NAFTA. NAFTA placed a permanent wrench into our economy with the eventual export of many jobs in manufacturing. Once manufacturing left, the proverbial economic "crap hit the fan"! Currently China and Mexico enjoy jobs that otherwise would be held by Americans, due to the fact that so many "American" manufacturing companies abandoned home to reap the financial benefits overseas via cheap labor.

Secondly, there's automation! Robots make bicycles, automobiles, vacuum sweepers, brooms, dishes, etc..
We used to have parking lot attendants, grocery store cashiers, hand car washers, library checkout personnel, toll booth collectors, etc...

Then there's the emigration problem. Americans who have been unfairly displaced out of there middleclass jobs and forced to accept low wage employment, are suddenly face with cheaper labor competition from primarily the southern border of Mexico. Illegals are invading the U.S. in droves, competing with Americans for their jobs. There's only so many jobs left, yet still they continue to displace us from our jobs.

Personally, I like Mexicans and I think that the U.S. has done much that has harmed Mexican people in the past, but that has nothing to do with our current employment problem that just has to be addressed. American jobs should be occupied by Americans. Legal Americans! That's regardless as to their ethnic backgrounds, be they Scottish, Nigerian, or Mexican!

Old 06-19-2014, 02:10 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,889,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeliner View Post
Then there's the emigration problem. Americans who have been unfairly displaced out of there middleclass jobs and forced to accept low wage employment, are suddenly face with cheaper labor competition from primarily the southern border of Mexico. Illegals are invading the U.S. in droves, competing with Americans for their jobs. There's only so many jobs left, yet still they continue to displace us from our jobs.
So illegal immigrants can work retail, customer service, phone centers, etc.? If you are talking restaurant jobs, landscaping, painting, carpentry and other hard labor sure, but it's not illegals diving wages down, it's that companies can get Indians to do your job on the larger scale. Illegal immigrants just drive down labor intensive low skill work.

Old 07-01-2014, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buttface4 View Post
They also lower the price of your fruits and veggies because if they didn't do those jobs, legal Americans would and that means the companies/farms need to absorb the higher cost of labor. That means higher prices at the market
That is a good thing from it. But the fact is we have more jobs than people and no true job growth. It's mostly low wage part-time jobs, low wage full-time jobs or internships. To replace that, we must have more government assistance. Either you hire people or encourage more welfare. More hiring may lead to higher prices but conservatives can't have no jobs and no welfare and keep the economy stable.

Old 07-01-2014, 06:25 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,762,441 times
The big thing to remember, the high unemployment is only in parts of the country.

Other areas have been out of the recession for years.

The big illegal immigration is really only hitting a few big city states.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buttface4 View Post
They also lower the price of your fruits and veggies because if they didn't do those jobs, legal Americans would and that means the companies/farms need to absorb the higher cost of labor. That means higher prices at the market
Americans will not go from the big city, to work at picking fruits and veggies. The illegals or legals entering for this purpose, have been the source of this type of farm labor since the start of WWII. They cut the bottom line of work to work at McDonald's, Burger King, Wendy's, Pizza Hut, etc. and then only out of desperation. They are not desperate enough, to do stoop labor picking vegetables and fruit which is paid on production, and Americans with very rare exception would make lots less than minimum wage doing the picking.

Old 07-02-2014, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
The big thing to remember, the high unemployment is only in parts of the country.
I've talked about this notion before. The basic issue is that there are parts of the nation that weren't too affected and parts that were devastated. Some like the Dakotas have oil booms that will only last for so long while others faced areas finally starting to turn around. If I remember correctly the mean when I looked into it was 6.6 and the median was 6.4. I wish I could give exacts but I cannot find the exact post.

Old 07-03-2014, 08:57 AM

3,874 posts, read 4,696,375 times
And now we have the new data to look at from the June jobs report released this morning.
288,000 new jobs were added in June and both the May & April job gain numbers were revised upward. April's monthly gain was reset upwards to a gain of 304,000 jobs.
For five months in a row there have been over 200,000 new jobs created. The last time that happened was in 1999 when Bill Clinton was president!
I'll repeat that startling fact: The last time over 200,000 new jobs were generated for five months in a row was was in 1999 when Bill Clinton was president!
It's frankly time to put and end to the "Economy is getting worse" theme put out by the party of No & it's elitist, media acolytes.

Old 07-03-2014, 09:32 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,400,123 times
Jobs Report: U.S. Economy Added 288K Jobs In June, Unemployment Dropped To 6.1% - Forbes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics