Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2014, 09:42 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,026,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Costaexpress View Post
And yet the left actively supports new urbanism. Wherever that has been applied, the poor and minorities got pushed out. The amenities supposedly built for them now see whites with iPhones and Starbucks in hand.
What do you mean by "new urbanism" Costaexpress?

I'm sorry, I don't visit these other forums on CD that often, so I'm not up on the lingo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2014, 06:25 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,792,682 times
I think this is a great idea for many parts of the country. I even saw a HGTV show about how they're making houses out of shipping containers. They come from China, are unloaded, and made into houses. It's cheaper than sending them back to China empty. The houses are specifically for poor people, though, although some could probably be made to accommodate poor people.

Old 12-20-2014, 09:33 AM

6,795 posts, read 7,287,224 times
As a society we are creating a larger demographic of poor people by our own ignorance. We have allowed the wealthy to purchase our government which now acts in the interest of the rich instead of the interest of the country as a whole.
At the other end of the spectrum we have created a system that subsidizes poverty, and when ever you subsidize something you get more of it.

Our people as well as our government have lost their moral compass and the result is our society is degenerating.
And before some idiot thinks I am referring to religion, a persons "moral compass" is the set of philosophies they use to determine right from wrong. It comes from understanding logic, human phycology, and the laws of physics. A working knowledge of these sciences is necessary to not only know what is right, but why it is right.

Old 12-20-2014, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyfan View Post
I think this is a great idea for many parts of the country. I even saw a HGTV show about how they're making houses out of shipping containers. They come from China, are unloaded, and made into houses. It's cheaper than sending them back to China empty. The houses are specifically for poor people, though, although some could probably be made to accommodate poor people.
Until the hipsters move in.

Old 12-20-2014, 09:52 AM

1,205 posts, read 2,689,263 times
I'd sleep in one for a night or two if I was desperate, I don't think I would start hanging pictures or anything. A van or a truck with a camper would probably be better imo.

Old 12-20-2014, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriendlyFeller View Post
I'd sleep in one for a night or two if I was desperate, I don't think I would start hanging pictures or anything. A van or a truck with a camper would probably be better imo.
I wouldn't either. Hanging pics is too much. A storage unit is just temporary until you can get a permanent address.

Old 12-20-2014, 10:06 AM

7,899 posts, read 7,110,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
I wouldn't either. Hanging pics is too much. A storage unit is just temporary until you can get a permanent address.
For the past 4 years my permanent address has been a post office box in South Dakota, a State I visited only once for less than a week. I am not a farmer. I see no reason for a "permanent" address as defined by a piece of land and/or a dwelling.

Old 12-20-2014, 10:52 AM

2,339 posts, read 2,931,302 times
Sad what the US is turning into. Although at least a storage box beats being homeless and the climate in California is warm enough not to freeze to death. It would be good if they were provided with locks, running water, and heating. With the US economy getting worse by the day, probably more and more people will end up living like this.

Old 12-20-2014, 10:56 AM

50,750 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Costaexpress View Post
And yet the left actively supports new urbanism. Wherever that has been applied, the poor and minorities got pushed out. The amenities supposedly built for them now see whites with iPhones and Starbucks in hand.
Where are you getting "the left" from?? I spent 6 months in the recently gentrified midtown area of Houston, I wasn't aware Houston politics and zoning laws were created and run by the left.
Gentrification is a business decision, has nothing to do with liberalism or any other political ideals.

Old 12-20-2014, 11:12 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,028,651 times
Some storage units market themselves as a place to work on your car, have band practice, or work on crafts. Sort of like having an extra garage or workroom without trashing up your home. Most of these do have a garage type door and a regular entrance door as well. I can see where people would prefer to live here than on the street.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics