Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2014, 10:20 AM

459 posts, read 484,792 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
Walmart and Exxon are based on volume, Apple, much less so.
Not only that, but Wal-Mart's labor costs as a percentage of total costs are very low. Not to say they aren't also for Apple, but bad is bad. Apple's profit and labor structure, especially overseas, is pretty terrible. I am very far to the left and I dislike Apple as a company and as a concept (they are the ultimate "brand equity" company).

Old 07-13-2014, 11:59 AM

18,547 posts, read 15,581,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
1. Raise minimum wage,
2. Force companies to pay for healthcare or tax and fine them.
3. Attack business treating them as the enemies,
4. Tax and regulate them to death.

= (equals)

5. Companies move over seas to avoid all of above
6. Less jobs here
7. Lower wages here
8. More people dependent on government
9. Government much bigger.

Isn't that exactly what the left wants?
Higher tariffs might be able to keep the outsourcing under control.

Old 07-13-2014, 11:43 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,697,355 times
What Amazon, eBay, Walmart, e-tailers are afraid and are start to see is that it won't be long before low prices aren't "low" enough for the middle class as their these companies have damaged the middle class by out-sourcing jobs, lowering the quality of life for middle to lower class through wage decreases and higher family cost due to Obamacare. Obamacare gave free care to the really poor but the ones that have jobs and are borderline poor are working and they cannot afford healthcare so they pay the penalty in order to not have healthcare.

Walmart posted lower growth because the government from fed to state are spending more to cut down on fraud and giving out less aid.

People who have jobs are making less as more work being automated or outsourced by these mega e-tailers.

It might take one or several events to incite the pitchforks, it may well be the next recession. When the next recession happens, not sure what cards the Feds have left to use. They already made the rich super wealthy and they're not spending or creating jobs. What could they do?

Old 07-14-2014, 04:46 AM

762 posts, read 1,099,519 times
Default Minimum wage derivatives already baked-in-the-cake

Minimum wage delayed is debt-slave prosperity denied is my motto. IMO, the elitist ALREADY have the minimum wage 'posted' on their balance sheets; the economic benefit will be absorbed/diverted in no time.

The bottom line: Unless/until the mass citizenry truly embraces financial responsibility (I sense kindling progress), upping the minimum wage will just transfer to the elitists AGAIN.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth
If the minimum wage had kept up with inflation, it wouldn't be an issue.

But because the minimum wage is so far behind inflation, it is an issue.
Maybe the problem is expecting minimum wages to keep up with inflation? How's this for a progressive idea: Get the Bankster/Big Business elitists to waive the parasitic pseudo-inflation so that wages can regain/retain some purchasing power?

Old 07-14-2014, 07:28 AM

3,513 posts, read 6,376,409 times
I'm currently reading two books that might be of interest to some of the posters on this thread:

http://www.amazon.com/Why-Nations-Fa...y+nations+fail

Amazon.com: What Went Wrong: How the 1% Hijacked the American Middle Class . . . and What Other Countries Got Right eBook: George R. Tyler: Books

I'm about half way through each book and I must say that I am very glad that I am 65, not 25, since I think that the future of this nation is looking very bleak. I do not think that there is enough will among those in power (of any political group) to do enough to fix the problems before things reach the point of no return and we become a third world country.

As an FYI I got both of these books at my little local rural library so I would think that they would be available in most libraries around the country.

Old 07-14-2014, 09:50 AM

35,066 posts, read 31,284,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post
I'm currently reading two books that might be of interest to some of the posters on this thread:

Why Nations Fail: The Origins of Power, Prosperity, and Poverty - Kindle edition by Daron Acemoglu, James Robinson. Professional & Technical Kindle eBooks @ Amazon.com.

Amazon.com: What Went Wrong: How the 1% Hijacked the American Middle Class . . . and What Other Countries Got Right eBook: George R. Tyler: Books

I'm about half way through each book and I must say that I am very glad that I am 65, not 25, since I think that the future of this nation is looking very bleak. I do not think that there is enough will among those in power (of any political group) to do enough to fix the problems before things reach the point of no return and we become a third world country.

As an FYI I got both of these books at my little local rural library so I would think that they would be available in most libraries around the country.
I believe America has been a great force for good in the world, but political leadership has failed us. The Democrats especially, but many Republicans have gone off on tangents and wild goose chases that they are failing to see the wall we are heading toward. Being that I'm 28, I'm a bit scared to see how the next forty years play out until I'm an old man.

Old 07-14-2014, 11:49 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,697,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
I believe America has been a great force for good in the world, but political leadership has failed us. The Democrats especially, but many Republicans have gone off on tangents and wild goose chases that they are failing to see the wall we are heading toward. Being that I'm 28, I'm a bit scared to see how the next forty years play out until I'm an old man.
Your generation is just a bunch of internet/youtube sensations but wussies when it comes to fighting for your rights. My generation went out and revolted and brought change when the government tries to force all the young people to go to war in Vietnam on a false premise and thousands of lives were lost all for political and financial gains. If it wasn't for those who stood for what they believed in the war would drag on and more lives would be lost.

This generation needs to stand up for themselves and show the oppressor that you're not gonna take it.

Old 07-15-2014, 05:54 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,393,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post

This generation needs to stand up for themselves and show the oppressor that you're not gonna take it.
A lot of the millennials tried that with "Operation Wall Street" and got mocked roundly for it by the Boomers and others.

Old 07-15-2014, 06:24 AM

893 posts, read 885,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
The progressive end game is communism/tyranny. You will never hear such words from the idiot liberals who populate these threads because they are ignorant to what their side is all about. Sure they want to give away the country if it buys them piece of mind at the cost of their freedoms but they don't mind - they demand it.
If you merely pay atttention to their leaders it is obvious they want to put us all under the thumb of the party; what government will be referred to within 20 years in progressive hands. News sources will never touch this topic as it goes against the media which is but a mouth piece for the party. Our only source for real news is indie sources on the internet and are refered to as RWNJs for having such a POV. Any of us who share that POV are also called RWNJs.

Good luck America, you are going to need it.
This.

Its scary how many clueless people think they are liberals when in fact they were just old school democrats that are uninformed and have relied on the media to convince them that they are now liberals.

They have zero idea what is really going on with the radical left and what they REALLY believe and want to have happen in our country. The few that figure it out slink over quietly from the other side claiming/lying "I didnt vote for him"

. Some just bury their head and ignore the reality because of an issue or 2 that suit them, like unions for example.

Pretty clueless

Old 07-15-2014, 06:36 AM

893 posts, read 885,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
Except that Reagan didn't invade any countries unless you count Grenada, and his reforms precipitated a boom in business and a huge economic recovery.

Thank you, George Orwell. War is peace. Lies are truth. Debt is profit.

None of these places you mentioned are doing very well. Cali has massive and unsustainable debts and obligations, estimated half trillion in public pension obligations alone. Net outflow of middle class population offset by influx of poor immigrants and illegals. Silicon Valley and Hollywood are what keep millionaires in Calif. and certainly not the tax advantages. NY and MD are also high cost, high tax, high regulation states that are having trouble attracting young families and start-up businesses. The one bright spot is Manhattan, which has attracted a scene of 20-somethings starting tech businesses.

As for France, ya gotta be kidding! Their unemployment rate is stuck at over 10%, they have a huge underclass of Muslim/African immigrants who can't find full time work, their productivity, innovation, technology, and growth rate are all very low.

Now, as for taxing the wealthy. The wealthy already pay a lot of the taxes. What good will it do to tax them further? What exactly would you tax? The wealthy mostly do not draw a salary, so payroll taxes and income taxes don't affect them. If you tax their stock revenue, i.e. capital gains, you will also damage every business in the country that invests. Talk about scaring the people with money into leaving the U.S.

I know this person is either tongue-in-cheek, willfully trolling, or a little weak in the analytical department, but there are an awful lot of people like him, and they vote, and worse, politicians know it and cater to them. This is why we have someone like Obama as President, an administration that has done virtually nothing to encourage business growth in the U.S. and everything to discourage it.

Like it or not, our jobs, our prosperity, and our strength as a nation all come out of our economic system. Our economy is like a garden. We can water it and fertilize it and let it grow, or we can exploit it and rip up the plants to eat, leaving nothing to seed next year's harvest. The old tale of the goose that laid the golden eggs is relevant as ever. Cook and eat the goose today, and you have nothing tomorrow.
Great post. Its strange....its almost as if your post was invisible. Maybe because its like garlic to a vampire crowd?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics