Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 03:17 PM

2,957 posts, read 5,900,362 times

Advertisements

Didn't read the article, but I'm guessing that you are referring to Q2 2014 vs Q2 2013. If so, that's because Q1 2014 was awful due to poor weather (it was snowy & cold for much of Q1, so people delayed purchasing junk).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2014, 03:24 PM

3,930 posts, read 6,440,025 times
And here is what will not be publicized. In a few weeks that 1% growth in the 2nd quarter will be adjusted down, as virtually every economic growth factor has been adjusted for years.

Old 07-30-2014, 03:40 PM
jw2

2,028 posts, read 3,264,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treasurekidd View Post
Burger flippers aren't supposed to be well off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
They're supposed to be on subsidized housing and food stamps forever.
Do people work as a "burger flipper" forever? I don't think that they should. I also don't think that is all they are capable of doing.

I did my time at minimum wage (pumping gas). Never did I think that was my lifetime job. Never did I think someone should subsidize me because I wanted that to be my lifetime job. There was real motivation for me to not have that be my lifetime job.

Old 07-30-2014, 04:56 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,311,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treasurekidd View Post
Burger flippers aren't supposed to be well off.
There's a difference between being "well off" and being poorer than you used to be. That's what burger flippers are. Their pay has not increased with the cost of living. Believe me, they never deluded themselves into think they will, or even should be, "well off."

Old 07-30-2014, 04:59 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,311,226 times
Well, if it's good news I can guarantee nobody will be yelling, "It's Obama's fault!" He only gets credit when something goes wrong ... even those things totally outside the president's purview.

Old 07-30-2014, 05:30 PM

18,803 posts, read 8,462,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
There's a difference between being "well off" and being poorer than you used to be. That's what burger flippers are. Their pay has not increased with the cost of living. Believe me, they never deluded themselves into think they will, or even should be, "well off."
Many simply hope to be promoted to 'fries'!

Coming To America - Fries w/audio - YouTube

<LOL>

Old 07-30-2014, 05:34 PM

7,887 posts, read 11,401,514 times
I agree the poor economic performance and low jobs growth are his fault. The senate refuses to even vote on house passed jobs bills, war on coal=war on coal jobs, delaying regs on ACA increases business uncertainty driving down jobs growth from what it could be.

Obama and his party want no blame for thE Great Recession yet the jobs growth since that low bubble was a given bounce back from the stimulus, GM bailout tarp etc which were developed in a bi partisan way during the crisis. Obama only wants responsibility for the good even when the bad he blames on the GOP alone was caused by both parties, guess who controlled congress and wanted everyone to own a home so lenders did not check income or anything when loans were approved......genius DC.

Old 07-30-2014, 06:35 PM

5,470 posts, read 6,290,008 times
Quote:
They're supposed to be on subsidized housing and food stamps forever.
That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. What they're supposed to do is work as burger flippers while going to school, getting an education or learning a trade, and otherwise generally improving their circumstances and advancing their careers. If they're still burger flippers at age 40 then they're there because of their own poor life decisions and lack of initiative. I make an exception for retirees who have decided that they want or need to go back to work to supplement their incomes, but thats the only exception.

I worked at plenty of crappy burger flipper type jobs when I was a kid, started at $3.35 an hour in the early 1980s, but I certainly never intended that to be my peak earning years! It was a good learning experience that taught me the value of a hard days work, and the value of the money that I earned. In other words, it served as a good starting point, nothing more. That's all a job like that is supposed to be, a starting point. I guess today jobs like this only teach people how to **** and moan about how bad they have it - or rather tweeting their complanints on their $400 iPhones.

Old 07-30-2014, 06:45 PM

18,547 posts, read 15,572,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post
Actually that sentence was about personal dividend income, not corporate. but I'm guessing that the big corporations are doing OK too.

Well, you know what they say - You can never be too rich or too thin.

Financially I'm doing better than about 75% of the folks in the country and that's more than comfortable for me but I could stand to lose more than a few pounds.
But where does personal dividend income come from?

Old 07-30-2014, 06:45 PM

5,470 posts, read 6,290,008 times
Quote:
Believe me, they never deluded themselves into think they will, or even should be, "well off."
That's nonsense as well. Do you mean to tell me that every fast food worker in America is somehow forever stuck in their jobs without the ability to advance their careers? Anyone who thinks like your post suggests will never achieve anything in life, even if you do pay them $15 per hour. But I refuse to believe that most, or even a large percentage of fast food workers think that they have no other options. Most will flip burgers for a while and then move up and on as they aquire the education and skills to do so. As for the ones who don't, giving them more money won't help them anyway. It'll just be more money to spend on smokes, booze and iPhones. Teaching and motivating them to do the things they need to do to earn more is what they really need.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics