Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2014, 06:42 PM

28,660 posts, read 18,761,634 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
I don't consider 60 normal retirement but 60 plus 40-50 is 100-110 not 90.

You can make all the excuses you want but, yes even with kids it can be done. I mean you might have to forgo a tv in every room, 300 channels on tv, 3+ of the latest smart phones, tablets, 2500+ sqft houses and the list goes on and on.
The modal individual annual income in the US is less than 25K. Work that math out for me, please.

And remember that if everyone lives like that, the US economy collapses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2014, 06:42 PM

477 posts, read 800,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
The OP is only interested in his/her self. He/She is saying, "Hey you old people. Get out of my way so I can have your job. I don't have enough to offer an employer, that they will even consider hiring me. But if you old bums get out of the way, there will be a shortage of workers and someone will be desperate enough they will hire me no matter how bad I am".
I'm employed (I make over 100k) and so is my husband. I am tired of paying for their benefits.

Old 08-01-2014, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Start work after college at 22. Retire at 60--that's 38 years. Live until 90? Not unrealistic for Boomers and later generations.

Well, yes, we could adjust our lifestyles sufficiently: No children, for one thing. That would do it.
My children are still small, so I might be premature in saying this but I don't think you (general you) raised your children right if they're still living off of you as adults. You're just enabling them.

Old 08-01-2014, 06:45 PM

1,679 posts, read 3,016,007 times
Why do people feel that it is necessary to control or force rules on others?

It's not for anyone's good it's about the op and what he wants.

Let people keep their own money and retire when they want

Old 08-01-2014, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
I don't consider 60 normal retirement but 60 plus 40-50 is 100-110 not 90.

You can make all the excuses you want but, yes even with kids it can be done. I mean you might have to forgo a tv in every room, 300 channels on tv, 3+ of the latest smart phones, tablets, 2500+ sqft houses and the list goes on and on.
I bet if things like ss were cut, they wouldn't be a "need" for things either. Since they're "entitled to it", they have to have it. (Yes, I know you "pay" into ss, and I have paid more than my fair share into ss. You can't get blood from a stone as the saying goes.)

Old 08-01-2014, 06:47 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,122,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakscsd View Post
Helped Obama get somewhere.
Fair enough. Bush's constant violations of the constitution did pave the way for Obama to get elected.

Old 08-01-2014, 06:49 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,122,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smommaof3 View Post
What about old people who refuse to retire who take away jobs from others? Aren't they taking away their right to prosper? What if I have to fund their benefits? That's taking away my right to prosper.
I've never seen an old person walk into an office and take a job from a young person. You won't have to fund their benefits as long as you let them work. Why are you against working for a living?

That's not taking away your right to prosper.

Old 08-01-2014, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hartford_renter View Post
Why do people feel that it is necessary to control or force rules on others?

It's not for anyone's good it's about the op and what he wants.

Let people keep their own money and retire when they want
Let's live in a society where there are no rules and everyone can do what they want. So, it's ok (according to you) if your next door neighbor wants to rape you, kill you, or steal from you? Why shouldn't we let him/her do what what they want? You know, the majority of people have good intentions. Those good people aren't just out for themselves.

Old 08-01-2014, 06:52 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,283,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smommaof3 View Post
Another thread got me thinking. A lot of problems in the American economy would be solved if there was a mandatory retirement age. I think the US should have a mandatory retirement age.
Actually, a major problem we have in this country is that there are too many retired people and too few workers supporting those who have retired. Its an unpopular opinion, but I don't approve of early retirements and I'm sorry that so many people are allowed to retire in their fifties because they took a government job while they were in their twenties. The cost of providing retirement benefits for people like this who may live into their eighties and nineties is extremely expensive and is likely to break retirement systems all across this country. There is no God-given right to retire on a full pension at age 55. Some people may end up doing that, but it doesn't mean everyone has the "right" too.

Not only that, but I can earn more money working than I could while retired.

I am self-employed and plan on working until I'm 70. I enjoy what I do and have no desire to quit while I am young. Nor, do I believe the public ought to have carry the cost of my retirement through social security for a hundred years.

Your idea that everyone should retire by a certain age simply doesn't fit the times very well.

Last edited by markg91359; 08-01-2014 at 07:23 PM..

Old 08-01-2014, 06:55 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,518,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Briolat21 View Post
Yep. And a lot of professionals would continue working, because golfing every day and takig cruises doesn't interest them.

A lot of people choose to work past the point at which they COULD retire, because they actually like their job and get some meaning from it. Why would you want to force people into obsolescence?
I don't plan on retiring until I'm too sick to work. By the time I retire, dh will likely be gone, the kids will have moved out and I'll be alone with the cat. That life doesn't appeal to me. I'd rather work and interact with people all day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics