Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2014, 08:00 AM

208 posts, read 225,012 times

Advertisements

People who live in a world of fairy tales will nearly always resort to fairy tales. I sometimes wonder why all these hardscrabble, bootstrapper types aren't bank vice-presidents. Some people are, after all. If they could do it...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2014, 08:07 AM

111 posts, read 134,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
To say Americans believe in the redistribution of wealth is a false statement. ALL Americans do NOT believe in the redistribution of wealth.
Unfortunately, enough do indeed believe it in.

A government that takes from Peter to give to Paul will surely have the votes of Paul.

Old 08-19-2014, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired at 44 View Post
Unfortunately, enough do indeed believe it in. A government that takes from Peter to give to Paul will surely have the votes of Paul.
How quaint. Meanwhile, all organizations require income. Taxes, dues, donations, membership fees. Whatever forms these flows might take and whatever you might want to call them, they are all types of income redistribution, and without them nothing happens.

Old 08-19-2014, 07:26 PM

3,513 posts, read 6,377,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yshudicare View Post
No. Work harder. Minimum wage is for teens. Adults should never work minimum wage. If I can do it so can others. Prices are fine now.
If you are going to make such an assertion please give some realistic details of how you did it and how others can too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwhitegocubs View Post
Yes, people should go off and pluck good jobs off the job trees, from which abundant jobs in all fields grow! Whenever someone says, "If I can do it so can others", I secretly put all of my stock in Schadenfreude. Reasoning with someone who substitutes some puritan concept of "just work harder" is impossible. There aren't enough jobs at high enough wages to support your concept; not even close. Simply asserting it doesn't make it true.
In 1977 I was very fortunate to land a high wage, high benefit union job on the docks of Oakland, CA. When I hired in there were 173 employees in the maintenance garage. When I retired 28 years later they were down to just 38. Somebody clear cut those job trees and shipped them overseas. As for wages, they were just over $8.00 an hour when I started and were up to over $35.00 an hour when I retired a decade ago.

Little did I know in 1977 when I started with Sea-land that Malcolm McLeans transformation of international cargo shipping would lead to todays globalization.

Malcom McLean - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Those high wage, high benefit union jobs that do not require an advanced degree, are for the most part gone now and they are not coming back. I really do feel sorry for the younger generations now who must compete with workers from all over the world, not just in their own country.

When boards of directors started compensating top management with huge stock options the focus changed from providing a good product and/or service to the customers along with decent wages to the employees and reinvestment in the company, etc. to a narrow, short term focus on the next quarterly earnings report because it meant enormous income for those at the very top. Doesn't matter if you run the company in to the ground so long as you've got your golden parachute and can bail when it gets bad.

Yes, some Americans love the redistribution of wealth, so long as it is from the many in the middle to the few at the top.

Old 08-19-2014, 07:49 PM

2,485 posts, read 2,218,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Bishop View Post
People who live in a world of fairy tales will nearly always resort to fairy tales. I sometimes wonder why all these hardscrabble, bootstrapper types aren't bank vice-presidents. Some people are, after all. If they could do it...
The real fairy tales are those who expect to convince and coerce others to accept an authoritarian way of income redistribution that does not take into consideration of personal choices and purposes. A system that relies on humans changing the way they normally do things is bound to fail from the beginning. The utopian/distopian welfare state would eventually be out competed by other competitive societies. It results in shared poverty and misery. Living above ones means like there is no tomorrow is a hilarious fairy tale that doesn't go out of fashion with the kind of electorate we have in this country.

Old 08-19-2014, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Bishop View Post
How quaint. Meanwhile, all organizations require income. Taxes, dues, donations, membership fees. Whatever forms these flows might take and whatever you might want to call them, they are all types of income redistribution, and without them nothing happens.
Few people are for no redistribution at all. That's not the problem. The problem is an abusive redistribution of wealth without considering personal decisions and purposes. It is living above ones means and lovin such privilege. It is prioritizing ones own demands when others make more contributions. Too many individuals wrongly assume a standard of life at the cost of others.

Now these self rewarded privilege have alienated much of the public and prevented the healthy redistribution of wealth.

Old 08-19-2014, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post
If you are going to make such an assertion please give some realistic details of how you did it and how others can too.

In 1977 I was very fortunate to land a high wage, high benefit union job on the docks of Oakland, CA. When I hired in there were 173 employees in the maintenance garage. When I retired 28 years later they were down to just 38. Somebody clear cut those job trees and shipped them overseas. As for wages, they were just over $8.00 an hour when I started and were up to over $35.00 an hour when I retired a decade ago.

Little did I know in 1977 when I started with Sea-land that Malcolm McLeans transformation of international cargo shipping would lead to todays globalization.

Malcom McLean - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Those high wage, high benefit union jobs that do not require an advanced degree, are for the most part gone now and they are not coming back. I really do feel sorry for the younger generations now who must compete with workers from all over the world, not just in their own country.

When boards of directors started compensating top management with huge stock options the focus changed from providing a good product and/or service to the customers along with decent wages to the employees and reinvestment in the company, etc. to a narrow, short term focus on the next quarterly earnings report because it meant enormous income for those at the very top. Doesn't matter if you run the company in to the ground so long as you've got your golden parachute and can bail when it gets bad.

Yes, some Americans love the redistribution of wealth, so long as it is from the many in the middle to the few at the top.
Globalization is not just a business project. It's been a political and social project of the political left in increasing diversity, immigration, and cultural pluralism in the US. The two work as a pair. Those high wage, high benefit jobs were the result of a limited international economy. The global economy is a natural and inevitable development of history.

Running a company to the ground isn't just what managers do. It's what unions do too. This is a two way street. We are talking greed.

Old 08-20-2014, 12:35 AM

4,765 posts, read 3,732,475 times
A person in the middle class can spend their time crying about how much better off they would be if only they paid less taxes or they can find a way to better themselves financially! Most people pretend they have never taken a penny from "the system" in their lives, but a careful inspection would prove otherwise.

Because that is what this is all really about. All this "bootstrapping" BS doubly applies to people who are not living in poverty. If one believes it can and should be done by the disadvantaged, then it follows they could use their middle class advantage to double their income. Or maybe they are just lazy and complacent? Just like the folks they keep complaining about! Why not get a medical degree? Or a law degree? Or add a masters to that BS? Or a PhD? I guess just lazy, eh?

Was Enron run into the ground by unions? How about AIG? Goldman Sachs? Worldcom? K-mart? Countrywide? Adelphia? It most certainly is a two-way street! Some folks are still driving slow in the fast lane though.

Globalization is a product of the left? What a pile of steaming ****! True to form though, attempting to blame the "other guy". It all the fault of the unions and the immigrants, those "other cultures" and heck, why not just round up the Jews! LOL

Globalization is something being forced on developed nations by the continued development of the third world. Anything the US does is merely reactive. And with the vast majority of future growth being found outside developed nations, trying the isolationist move is pure economic suicide!

Last edited by shaker281; 08-20-2014 at 12:44 AM..

Old 08-20-2014, 05:45 AM

18,548 posts, read 15,586,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaker281 View Post
A person in the middle class can spend their time crying about how much better off they would be if only they paid less taxes or they can find a way to better themselves financially! Most people pretend they have never taken a penny from "the system" in their lives, but a careful inspection would prove otherwise.

Because that is what this is all really about. All this "bootstrapping" BS doubly applies to people who are not living in poverty. If one believes it can and should be done by the disadvantaged, then it follows they could use their middle class advantage to double their income. Or maybe they are just lazy and complacent? Just like the folks they keep complaining about! Why not get a medical degree? Or a law degree? Or add a masters to that BS? Or a PhD? I guess just lazy, eh?

Was Enron run into the ground by unions? How about AIG? Goldman Sachs? Worldcom? K-mart? Countrywide? Adelphia? It most certainly is a two-way street! Some folks are still driving slow in the fast lane though.

Globalization is a product of the left? What a pile of steaming ****! True to form though, attempting to blame the "other guy". It all the fault of the unions and the immigrants, those "other cultures" and heck, why not just round up the Jews! LOL

Globalization is something being forced on developed nations by the continued development of the third world. Anything the US does is merely reactive. And with the vast majority of future growth being found outside developed nations, trying the isolationist move is pure economic suicide!
Anyone who looks at this post and does not see remarkable insight has issues!

Old 08-20-2014, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Costaexpress View Post
The real fairy tales are those who expect to convince and coerce others to accept an authoritarian way of income redistribution that does not take into consideration of personal choices and purposes.
Authoritarian? How about all the self-absorbed Marlboro Man wannabes out there start realizing that they are not wild stallions running proud and free across the golden sunlit prairies, but are rather members of a society. Membership in any society requires that some form of dues be paid and that the rules enacted by organizational bodies be observed and adhered to. Those claiming some special exemption from such things are asking for that which they have absolutely no right to at all. They are just shirkers and usurpers, and one reason why society builds jails.

Quote:
A system that relies on humans changing the way they normally do things is bound to fail from the beginning.
Really? So requiring everyone to drive on the right and stop at a red light is doomed to failure? I can't say that I find much connection to reality here.

Quote:
The utopian/distopian welfare state would eventually be out competed by other competitive societies. It results in shared poverty and misery. Living above ones means like there is no tomorrow is a hilarious fairy tale that doesn't go out of fashion with the kind of electorate we have in this country.
The utopian/distopian welfare states? Please try not to waste so much Reynolds Wrap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics