Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2014, 12:08 PM

14,314 posts, read 14,114,131 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalorian View Post
French can stay in their own damn country. The US doesn't need any more chain smokers.
I may get a little off-topic, but even though I have no French blood in my veins, I get tired of the way the French are bashed by some in this country.

France is a very important country in Western Europe who's citizens enjoy a very high standard of living. France is located in a geographical area that makes their country important to us and America important to them.

If we want to dredge up the past we can find points of disagreement. France didn't support our invasion of Iraq, but look how well that turned out? If you go back to the 1960's, French President Charles De Gaulle didn't like America much, but I think it was mostly a question of envy on his part.

More importantly, though we can find situations where France and America needed one another. Lafayette, a French Nobleman, came to America and gave critical support to our country during the American Revolution. Universities in Paris educated many Americans over the years. The French have made great contributions to science and medicine. Louis Pasteur was one of the first people to identify bacteria with a microscope and help to develop serums to treat diseases like rabies. Madam Curie did much work with radium and helped enormously with the development of nuclear physics. We, of course, were there to support Franch during World War I and World War II. Finally, it was the Pasteur Institute that discovered the AIDS virus, not Americans, even though some tried to take credit for it.

The point is that both America and France are great nations. I've known French people in this country whom I thought were first rate people that I would have been glad to have as fellow citizens. I have been treated wonderfully during the vacation time I have spent in France.

What France is currently going through is not much different than the challenges all developed nations currently face. All of us have aging populations and we are struggling to maintain our identity, culture, and standard of living despite challenges like immigration and competition from lesser developed nations.

In the end, we can all sneer at one another, or we could recognize that we all have strengths and weaknesses and try to support and learn from one another. The latter makes most the sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2014, 01:17 PM

1,330 posts, read 2,592,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Costaexpress View Post
Go search for it on google. You can find lots of articles on the topic. The New York Times ran several stories on it too.
Because French bashing is very popular on English speaking media.
Facts are often exagerated and even untrue.
The number of articles doesn't prove the veracity of an information, especially when those come from the same source.

Old 08-19-2014, 03:27 PM

29,805 posts, read 18,665,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
I may get a little off-topic, but even though I have no French blood in my veins, I get tired of the way the French are bashed by some in this country.

France is a very important country in Western Europe who's citizens enjoy a very high standard of living. France is located in a geographical area that makes their country important to us and America important to them.

If we want to dredge up the past we can find points of disagreement. France didn't support our invasion of Iraq, but look how well that turned out? If you go back to the 1960's, French President Charles De Gaulle didn't like America much, but I think it was mostly a question of envy on his part.

More importantly, though we can find situations where France and America needed one another. Lafayette, a French Nobleman, came to America and gave critical support to our country during the American Revolution. Universities in Paris educated many Americans over the years. The French have made great contributions to science and medicine. Louis Pasteur was one of the first people to identify bacteria with a microscope and help to develop serums to treat diseases like rabies. Madam Curie did much work with radium and helped enormously with the development of nuclear physics. We, of course, were there to support Franch during World War I and World War II. Finally, it was the Pasteur Institute that discovered the AIDS virus, not Americans, even though some tried to take credit for it.

The point is that both America and France are great nations. I've known French people in this country whom I thought were first rate people that I would have been glad to have as fellow citizens. I have been treated wonderfully during the vacation time I have spent in France.

What France is currently going through is not much different than the challenges all developed nations currently face. All of us have aging populations and we are struggling to maintain our identity, culture, and standard of living despite challenges like immigration and competition from lesser developed nations.

In the end, we can all sneer at one another, or we could recognize that we all have strengths and weaknesses and try to support and learn from one another. The latter makes most the sense.
I agree with everything you just said and I do have some French blood in me and from New Orleans originally. However, there are many French including some that have posted on this thread that are very rude and derisive towards Americans....so a little turnabout is fair play. So whether it's French/Europeans that think they have everything right are redneck America that thinks they have everything right...guess what, we can learn a few things from each other.

Old 08-20-2014, 12:54 PM

208 posts, read 223,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Costaexpress View Post
Go search for it on google. You can find lots of articles on the topic. The New York Times ran several stories on it too.
And with all these reputable sources to choose from, you linked to The Telegraph? I'm just laughing, that's all I'm saying.

Old 08-20-2014, 03:01 PM

41,478 posts, read 59,552,077 times
Normandy is one of the places I would like to visit. Unfortunately it is too darn expensive. Even Quebec has become very expensive.

I'll bet that the US is suffering from its own form of "brain drain". We are educating huge masses of foreign students that are either displacing US students in high tech jobs while sending their money home or taking their educations back to India or China and flooding the US with their cheap products. Either way they are transferring wealth from here to there at great cost to the US.

Old 08-20-2014, 07:30 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,348,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post

Smokers aren't people though. Their just sources of foul smells.

Old 08-20-2014, 07:36 PM

1,369 posts, read 2,263,238 times
My employers are a French couple who fled France. They tell me it's horrible over there, and not just for business, the crime is totally out of hand too, and you would have to be crazy to be a cop there.

Old 08-20-2014, 07:57 PM

580 posts, read 773,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpacker View Post
I think Germany is in a tough spot because they're bonded to Europe and Europe is bonded to them.
Germany really isn't in that tough a spot; they have a healthy high-value manufacturing economy (luxury cars, high-end commercial manufacturing) with both global conglomerates (Siemans, Daimler, VW Group) and the highly productive "Mittelstand", small-medium sized companies.

Of course, they went through painful economic reforms in the 90s to liberalize their economy, and are benefiting from the most flexible labor market in Europe. On top of that, Germany benefits from a Euro that is cheaper than what the Deutschmark would be, and that helps it exporters.

Would rather be Germany than Greece.

Old 08-20-2014, 11:42 PM

2,485 posts, read 2,205,956 times
What lots of people on the left don't get is that the argument is for a healthy dose of market mechanism and government regulations. What's happening in some European economies and much from the American left is an overdose of government intervention, the living above ones means, the abusive approach toward a society's money, and the childish elitist attitude.

All of that, in the context of the competitive global economy, is damaging and unrealistic to this economy. It's ironic that many advocates for these welfare state policies talk about the commonwealth of a society while abusing it to a great extent.

Everyone ends up paying for their unrealistic idealism. It's as if reality is out of fashion. The privilege to dream at the cost of others became justified.

Old 08-20-2014, 11:46 PM

2,485 posts, read 2,205,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokeable View Post
Germany really isn't in that tough a spot; they have a healthy high-value manufacturing economy (luxury cars, high-end commercial manufacturing) with both global conglomerates (Siemans, Daimler, VW Group) and the highly productive "Mittelstand", small-medium sized companies.

Of course, they went through painful economic reforms in the 90s to liberalize their economy, and are benefiting from the most flexible labor market in Europe. On top of that, Germany benefits from a Euro that is cheaper than what the Deutschmark would be, and that helps it exporters.

Would rather be Germany than Greece.
See Germany has a better approach. The American far left doesn't want to look at this. They seem to just want to push for if or ideological stands regardless of reality. Ignorance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics