U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2019, 01:58 PM

25,760 posts, read 61,347,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganGreg View Post
I have noticed an interesting dichotomy in the 'brick and mortar' places. The last few times I have visited Sears, and many other retail stores, when asking if they had such and such product, they answer 'no, but we can order it for you online.'.

Are you serious?? Really???

Sears seems to be devoid of anything worth going to them for, and it never used to be like that. I LOVED that store....not now. Why even bother to drive there for a half hour and have them order it, when you can order it from Amazon from home, saving the cost of time and gas? Retail is going obsolete due to their own economics. If I could purchase anything by simply going to a store and purchasing it, I would. But they won't let me, so my online purchases are increasing. I refuse to feel bad for those that shoot themselves in the feet, then complain bitterly about how retail is not working any more.
Are there some sears stores still open someplace? I thought they were all gone now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2019, 02:05 PM

25,760 posts, read 61,347,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gen811 View Post
if we can only turn those worthless commercial real estates into actual livable units it would be great success in our economy.
but they want to keep prices up. so that would never happen

the most crowded cities have so many vacant commercial real estate? and they still keep prices of them sky high so people cannot open businesses easily...
my bet is they charge at least 5000 to 10000 even though they are vacant they would rather eat the cost than lower the prices.

perhaps we need to tax them more for each vacant lot like I suggested so many times.

vacant lots are an eye sore, fire and criminal hazard. thus increasing costs to our environment.
the rich people holding those properties need to be fined for keeping them empty, thus endangering everyone around the property.
In Detroit they are turning most of the old office buildings into apartments, condos and hotels. They usually have a waiting list and crazy rental prices. The empty retail places are slowly filling back in as well. Mostly restaurants and taverns, but some specialty retail is popping back up. Also convenience stores. Lots of service type businesses. (Eye and glasses clinics, puppetry, tours, some locations are used temporarily for various businesses depending on the events that are taking place in the City. A big chunk of the retail area on one building near my office was a roller rink for a while. It was busy, but i am not sure whether it is still there. The covered up the windows.

And Yes, there are still building new retail locations in the City. They believe as more and more people move back downtown, there will be demand for retail. If not, they can always make more bars and restaurants.

Old 02-22-2019, 03:58 PM

30,306 posts, read 48,525,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
... gun shop (I do not think you can mail guns and ammo).
Sure you can.

In our town, the only store front business is a gun smith.

He receives firearms in the mail all the time.

Old 03-01-2019, 11:58 AM

6,275 posts, read 1,851,192 times
homeless shelters

Old 03-04-2019, 03:44 PM

50 posts, read 8,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnian View Post
What will become of all the empty retail buildings? Is there a future for physical presence in retail beyond cheap commodity products for low and modest income families?

Probably no future. We had a Kmart close 25 years ago....building is still empty. There was a Kroger next to it, closed about 12 years later....still empty. Buildings can't hardly be worth the property taxes at this point.

Old 03-05-2019, 06:03 AM

3,333 posts, read 5,016,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tn_eddy View Post
Probably no future. We had a Kmart close 25 years ago....building is still empty. There was a Kroger next to it, closed about 12 years later....still empty. Buildings can't hardly be worth the property taxes at this point.
That is the problem. These buildings often sit in prominent locations in communities for years. Many are too large for anything other than the same type of business that once occupied it. Reclassifying the space for warehousing, housing, or industrial use is not always possible without hurting existing businesses.

The proliferation of on-line retailing is rapidly changing retail space in many communities. Some areas have gained large warehouses to support on-line demands but many communities are facing significant losses in property taxes as the shuttered businesses assessed values drop and physical activity and employment is reduced in many areas. Many states tax on-line sales but the revenue received largely fails to make it down to the local level. This results in more property taxes falling on homeowners and the surviving businesses. Property taxes/municipal funding will need to evolve. This is a problem that will become an important issue in the near future as costs in many communities across the country continue to rise and municipalities face challenges in funding schools, existing programs and infrastructure essential to the residents that reside in these communities.

Old Today, 10:49 AM

3,621 posts, read 1,884,224 times
Storage warehouses, schools and residential subdivisions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or