Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2014, 05:48 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,636,263 times

Advertisements

As a teen, my wages bought my clothes and toiletries, bought my car, paid my car insurance, and kept gas in the tank. Additionally, money was saved to rent my first apartment and pay college tuition.

You're saying you'd prefer I was unable to provide those things for myself?

I didn't have much when I first entered the adult world, but I did have a reliable car and a few thousand in the bank. That little head start made a world of difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2014, 06:37 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,917,875 times
When I hire someone, my first concern is my customers. They pay the employee's salary and everything else.

The best worker at the market price for the work involved will get the job. Sometimes that person is a teen. Adults who are out of work often have difficulty adjusting to an environment where their actions have consequences. Workers have to show up, be clean, talk respectfully, not spend most of their time and energy dealing with family problems or legal problems, and have the skills needed to do the work or else the native ability required to learn them quickly. Every worker represents my company all the time. This is a long list of requirements and sometimes you have to pay very well to get these. You also have to reject a lot of people. The state of the American workforce isn't pretty and employers have to deal with that.

We also have to think about the next generation. A teenage worker who is or learns to be responsible, always will be.

Old 08-21-2014, 07:02 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,390,324 times
Personally, I think for most college-bound teens, it's better to focus on school, test prep and activities rather than working minimum wage jobs.

However for those getting a jump start on a trade or something like that, it's good.

Old 08-21-2014, 07:45 PM

4,647 posts, read 8,599,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan2514 View Post
Basically the earnings go toward leisure..
70% of our GDP is from consumer spending. The economy isn't fueled by mortgages.

Old 08-21-2014, 08:52 PM

4,992 posts, read 5,289,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalorian View Post
Personally, I think for most college-bound teens, it's better to focus on school, test prep and activities rather than working minimum wage jobs.

However for those getting a jump start on a trade or something like that, it's good.
I don't know. Someone with work experience will usually get hired over someone without. Doesn't always matter if it is directly relevant.

Old 08-21-2014, 09:01 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
We don't give jobs out based on who financially needs them most. This is a stupid idea. I'm glad my kids took your job.

Old 08-21-2014, 09:04 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
I think too many now days enter the workforce and make decisions without needed experience. It was once very common for teens to work. I did and value the experience.

Old 08-21-2014, 09:23 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,446,688 times
The jobs teenagers holds today are the references that will help get them a career tomorrow. This has been my experience both as a both a job applicant and one who later on was involved in the hiring process. Seeing a young person's resume with a job listing or two showing work experience even before college graduation meant the candidates had some prior knowledge regarding how to handle themselves in the workplace.

Even in this day and age not all teens go to college. The teen who seeks work without the plans to go to school is smart to being working as soon as possible. That summer job can lead to full time employment right out of high school. My cousin got a great job that way.

Anyone who wants to work and is capable of working should be able. I don't believe anyone should play "work police" and decide who should work and who shouldn't.

Old 08-21-2014, 09:24 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,764,474 times
Not allowing teens to work, is Age Discrimination, and age discrimination is against the federal law.

Old 08-21-2014, 10:01 PM

223 posts, read 321,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan2514 View Post
I believe that it disadvantages the millions of people who actually have bills to pay.
I understand that kids benefit from holding a job early. I want my children to be responsible and.competent when they get older.
However employment is not.a teaching tool-it is a necessity. As parents we are required to meet our childrens' needs until the ahe of 18. Basically the earnings go toward leisure.

Think about it-there are people facing eviction and without food. And it's hard for them to find work. So why should we hire someone who doesn't need the money?

There's another way to teach responsibility. It's called chores.

There may be exceptions- If the family's income is below a certain level, and of course any emancipated teens.

As an assistant manager I cannot discriminate based on need. But I do think if this was considered, it would help a llot of needy americans find work.
Wow, you have a sadly narrow view of the world. When I was a teenager, I couldn't wait to get a job. I got a job at 16 because my mother couldn't afford to pay for my car insurance. My parents couldn't help me with my college tuition, so the money I made as a teenager helped with that. It didn't all go toward leisure. I think more teens should be working. Of the six grandchildren on my dad's side, four of us (including my brother) got jobs as teenagers. Two of us (one of my aunt's children) didn't - in fact, my one cousin got his first job this summer and he's almost 21. I think he was coddled by his mother by her not wanting him to work until this summer. Her other son just turned 17 and she didn't want him to work this summer, which I think is too bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics