Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2014, 01:38 AM

1,806 posts, read 1,737,049 times

Advertisements

There's been automated software for a long time. Accountants have done just fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2014, 08:47 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,423,492 times
Accountants don't just sit down and do data entry anymore, our work is more high level than that. Those jobs that are data entry have been reduced in number, but even those do still exist. Saying that accounting will be replaced by computers is like saying a lawyer will be replaced by software, theres way more to what we do than a user clicking through turbotax.

Old 09-06-2014, 08:35 PM

31,897 posts, read 26,938,579 times
There are accountants and then there are CPAs. Yes, much of the "bookkeeping" sort of accounting work has been taken over to some extent by software which allows places to reduce or even eliminate positions. However good Certified Public Accountants are still in demand.

http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article...-getting-hired

Old 09-12-2014, 01:37 PM

1,418 posts, read 2,546,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrini View Post
This is off topic but I still don't understand. I'm going to give you my two cents as a 17 years old kid: so, if you have a job, you pay taxes, so your government is happy. If you don't have a job, you might get financial aid, so the government actually has to give you money, which they're not happy about. Plus, we're overpopulated. We are more than 7 billion people in this world, they should think how to make MORE jobs not LESS. Imagine what would happen if all those millions of people who work in accounting would lose their jobs ..are there any jobs out there for millions of people ? Nope. Same thing with cars that drive themselves. Imagine how many people would lose their jobs as a truck driver or taxi drivers. In NY, where there are a lot of taxi drivers, they would probably lose millions of jobs. I really don't understand why they're so stupid to make everything automatic, is not like we're underpopulated and we need computers to do the jobs for us, we actually need more jobs since unemployment is quite high everywhere in the world.

The gov't and ppl lack vision. We should be aiming to colonize space. That itsel will provide opportunities as we seek to establish communities on a planet. There will be risks but also awards. There are ppl willing to rick their lives to get such a chance.

There was an article in the news that stated wars are crucial for the economy! No, we need visionaries to lead and politicans to listen and implement.
Maybe, Capitalism in its purest form it not the answer. We need a "hybrid economics."

Old 09-12-2014, 02:54 PM

4,103 posts, read 5,423,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
There are accountants and then there are CPAs. Yes, much of the "bookkeeping" sort of accounting work has been taken over to some extent by software which allows places to reduce or even eliminate positions. However good Certified Public Accountants are still in demand.

http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article...-getting-hired
Unfortunately most accountants are CPA's these days for that very reason. My office is about 60% CPA's.

Old 09-14-2014, 02:48 PM

31,897 posts, read 26,938,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
Unfortunately most accountants are CPA's these days for that very reason. My office is about 60% CPA's.

Back in our college days a friend was debating just to graduate with a degree in accounting but not go all the way (take CPA exam). Finally decided to suck it up and go with the latter and it was he best decision he ever made career wise.

Old 09-16-2014, 08:15 AM

15,945 posts, read 12,279,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vi3tdrgn View Post
Wow, This is very smart from a 17 year old. I like the way you point out if people lose their job they wont pay taxes.

Automation has been elimating jobs at an aggressive pace... we have machines that can put out 4x the product than ones just 5-10 years old. This eliminates jobs while also reducing the price that can be charged... inflates profit margins and helps the top get even richer... the future will be interesting with all these aging people demanding services we cant possibly afford to pay for... and the answer is not to breed more people and overpopulate to keep the old system going... there will be pain and hardship as we make the transition.. at least until we can bring "free energy" into use and perhaps engineer our food in labs or invent matter energy replication.

If current trends continue half our economic output will be paperwork and accounting from the other half.. which of course is not a sustainable way to run an economy... theres a reason more and more doctors are unsatisfied with their profession... endless bookeeping..

Old 09-18-2014, 01:50 AM

1,013 posts, read 909,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrini View Post
This is off topic but I still don't understand. I'm going to give you my two cents as a 17 years old kid: so, if you have a job, you pay taxes, so your government is happy. If you don't have a job, you might get financial aid, so the government actually has to give you money, which they're not happy about. Plus, we're overpopulated. We are more than 7 billion people in this world, they should think how to make MORE jobs not LESS. Imagine what would happen if all those millions of people who work in accounting would lose their jobs ..are there any jobs out there for millions of people ? Nope. Same thing with cars that drive themselves. Imagine how many people would lose their jobs as a truck driver or taxi drivers. In NY, where there are a lot of taxi drivers, they would probably lose millions of jobs. I really don't understand why they're so stupid to make everything automatic, is not like we're underpopulated and we need computers to do the jobs for us, we actually need more jobs since unemployment is quite high everywhere in the world.
Because first of all jobs are for work.
People do not like to work.

automation is actually a good thing.
it lets people do more with less.
and thus lower over all cost to everyone.

the problem is actually the people with the automated skills being out of the job.
thus the problem is really the people have no skills to adapt to the new environment

the employers REFUSE TO TRAIN THEM to use the new system thus instead they are left without a job.
that is the real problem

blame the employers for not training employees instead.
it is not automation that is the problem but human greed/selfishness.

the employee should still be useful but employers don't think they are anymore thus disposable.
for a comeback the employee should instead buy his own equipment and COMPETE with his previous employer to see HIM OUT OF BUSINESS instead.

that would be ultimate justice.
but we have government regulations on licenses/permits etc for the business thus protecting monopolies and crushing small business. from competing and lowering price.

THAT ITSELF IS THE REAL PROBLEM.

We can automate almost all cashiers and min wage jobs up to 10 dollars-11 dollars an hour but will they let us? HELL NO.

its cheaper to hire SLAVES to do it than use machines.

and the slaves cannot OPEN their own businesses to compete with the store because government forbids them and says unless you rent a store for millions you cannot open shop.

as a result cost goes up/barriers to entry are setup.

if you decrease the barriers to entry like spamming workers/importing H1B for tech jobs then employees can just open shop instead.

but what we have now = STUPID.

H1B should not be granted actually if we have unemployment.

facebook,microsoft,dell, hp, apple etc for H1B are lying if they support that initiative.

Old 09-18-2014, 01:30 PM

7,032 posts, read 14,477,372 times
No, Accountants will need to be better trained at using accounting software. Can you imagine running a multinational corporation with billions of dollars of revenue and countless locations around the world and having to crank out your quarterly reports using Excel and no specialized software?

Old 09-19-2014, 09:47 AM

3,516 posts, read 7,780,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vi3tdrgn View Post
I just read this article and I don't think Accounting can be automated. what do you guys think?
I read the list and do not think any one of those jobs could be completely automated. Tools might allow less people to do the job, but every one of them still needs a human element. For example the Pilot on the list, while it might become standard to have robots to pilot airplanes, you would want a human pilot on hand to take over in case of some sort of failure with the robot pilot. I for one do not what to die because the Microsoft operating system in the robot pilot locked up again while the place was in flight.

The same holds true with a robot accounts, they can scan companies accounts and looks for anomalies, but it's the human CPA that decides there is one or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics