Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2014, 02:47 PM

520 posts, read 772,840 times

Advertisements

Will they go to jail? Probably not.

Do they represent a lot of what is wrong with our country? YES.

I don't know the government can reasonably control for these kinds of circumstances. However, I hope they feel great having a good time financially crippling future generations while taking benefits away from those that might actually need it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2014, 03:05 PM

147 posts, read 315,216 times
Depends on a lot of factors.

What state are they in? Some states allow those who are on SSI to get food stamps.

The granddaughter may be eligible for welfare benefits regardless of income. Most likely varies by state.

Most people who are on SSI are eligible for medicare regardless of income.

Another factor is whether or not they're filling out the paperwork truthfully and reporting changes promptly.

With all that being said, I'm not a fan of someone collecting food stamps when there is plenty of money in the house to buy food. I would venture to say that they are most likely not committing fraud but it's hard to say without knowing more.

Old 09-01-2014, 06:05 PM

3,762 posts, read 5,405,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diddlydudette View Post
There is a couple that have been living together for about 10 years.

Guy makes very good money. Woman makes very little considering she is disabled.

If they marry, woman would lose her food stamps even though she gets very little. She'd also lose her 'free' insurance.

Woman also has custody of her grand-daughter which her daughter abandoned so gets welfare coming in for her too.

So they actually use food stamp money for fun since the guy makes plenty to support them.
The guy is under no obligation to support them. No I don't think it's fraud.

Old 09-01-2014, 08:45 PM

1,753 posts, read 2,891,210 times
You would have to know more information for you to say if it is fraud or not. You don't have any idea if she reports his income or not. You have no idea what their financial situation is. So don't be a Gladys Kravitz and mind your own business.

Old 09-01-2014, 09:12 PM

9,975 posts, read 7,661,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stimestar View Post
You would have to know more information for you to say if it is fraud or not. You don't have any idea if she reports his income or not. You have no idea what their financial situation is. So don't be a Gladys Kravitz and mind your own business.
They do their taxes separately and only based on their income. I know their financial situation. The lady tells me. How else would I know? What more info do you need? How would u know what I know? lol Do u read minds thru the internet?

Old 09-01-2014, 09:13 PM

1,562 posts, read 1,485,399 times
From what you've described, it isn't fraud, legally. Is it "gaming the system"? I suppose you could say that, but this is the way the program is designed. She's not breaking any rules. What she needs to do now is claim she is renting a room from him and apply for Section 8 assistance. She'll get it.

Old 09-01-2014, 09:28 PM

5,252 posts, read 4,653,396 times
Yaawwwwwn.............Another complainer complaining about the terribleness of some individuals private business all the while conveniently forgetting the billions of our tax dollars given away by the likes of Benny Bernanke to our richest financial institutions who screwed us blind circa 2008. Makes me wonder if America will ever be the home of the righteously pissed off or simply the last bastion of idiots.

Old 09-02-2014, 01:43 PM

17,156 posts, read 12,897,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
MediCARE is not MediCAID. Any person with a recognized disability can get medicare by going through the hoops - no matter what their income used to be or what the household income is. MediCAID is the supplemental that states add to the pot for those who need more than medicare.

Anyone who has had to deal with the bureaucracy and debasement of the aids rolls, and the catch 22 regulations that penalize those who attempt to work their way off them would question just who is gaming who. The general rules are that someone who is disabled who has the temerity to ATTEMPT to try to work will get thrown off aid at the first minor success. That means that if the medical condition becomes acute again, the person has to start over at square one - complete with delays that are often months.

I do wish that people who have been blessed with good health and the right income/parents/job choices would somehow be placed into such situations for six months without those blessings, so that they could learn a little empathy and humbleness. These are the same Dickensian scrooges who would never give a dime to charity, with the excuse that "the government is more than adequately caring for these people."

When a poor girl marries into a rich family, is she not in fact equally "gaming" the system? When a multimillion dollar business moves only because of tax breaks given freely, is it not "gaming" the system? When Joe mail clerk sucks up to the boss and eventually becomes a vice-president, is he not "gaming" the system?
+1. People fail to understand how difficult it is to get on Medicare when one has a disability. The government doesn't just give money to people long term without a fight. Consider how quickly and willingly the IRS and state grabs our money in taxes. To get on disability, people have to get a letter supporting their position that they are permanently disabled by a doctor, something few doctors want to offer in the first place. Then they apply and offer all their medical records and other supporting medical documentation. During the period prior to applying, they are not allowed to earn income for an entire YEAR or else their application for disability is automatically denied. This purges the system of applicants who can't afford not to work for a whole year, even if they are disabled. Then SS Administration thinks about it for 3 months to a year while they review the applicants' case. If the person didn't hire a lawyer, they are approved only about 20% of the time. If they hired a lawyer, they are accepted about 60% of the time. If they appeal, they have to remain unemployed during the entire appeals process, thus further purging the system of applicants.

Another point. Many people see people walking around who are on disability. They immediately judge them, assuming they aren't disabled because they can walk and talk. There are many disabilities that are invisible-that affect a person's life from day to day but a stranger can't detect. I'm only 37 and on disability myself. After sustaining a severe head injury in 2003, I have developed lifelong seizures, migraines, bipolar disorder, and insomnia. I have all my arms and legs, but I have invisible disabilities that are just as real.

Old 09-02-2014, 01:45 PM

69,368 posts, read 63,946,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stimestar View Post
She wouldnt at all report his income, its not hers, they arent married

Old 09-02-2014, 02:09 PM

18,498 posts, read 15,487,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diddlydudette View Post
There is a couple that have been living together for about 10 years.

Guy makes very good money. Woman makes very little considering she is disabled.

If they marry, woman would lose her food stamps even though she gets very little. She'd also lose her 'free' insurance.

Woman also has custody of her grand-daughter which her daughter abandoned so gets welfare coming in for her too.

So they actually use food stamp money for fun since the guy makes plenty to support them.
Depends on whether there are any state laws that grant automatic marriage after 10 years of cohabitation. If not, there is no fraud, because nothing was misrepresented; all the applications were done with truthful information as it is LEGALLY (not "morally") defined. Therefore, it is not fraud. At most, it is using a loophole.

What do you mean by using food stamp money for fun? Are you saying some stores let you purchase non-food items with food stamps?

It is perfectly legal to use food stamps for fun, if the fun is enjoyment of the meal you bought with them

Last edited by ncole1; 09-02-2014 at 02:18 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics