Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2014, 07:28 AM

2,794 posts, read 2,931,623 times

Advertisements

Psychological...

something that's $9.99 is much more appealing then something that is $10.00 to many... even though it really is $10+ because of tax.

ALso... look at this advertisement for Amazon's Kindle Fire on Amazon.com..... most powerful tablet for $100 at $99!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2014, 04:26 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,024,360 times
Most marketing is intended not to trick you but rather to appeal to you. For many $9.99 has and still is more appealing than $10.00. Proctor and Gamble offers many competing products. One major reason is that if you are of moderate income and your kid uses a P@G diaper, they have a higher priced one because a wealthier person doesn't want the same diaper that you use on their kids butt. Same way with Gain and Tide both P@G with Tide being more expensive and check out the Consumer Reports ratings of detergents.

Old 09-18-2014, 08:15 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,081,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Is it because someone will be more likely to buy an item priced $99.99 instead of $100.00, or is there some other reason?
yes people believe $99.99 is less than $100 and stop buying something at $100.

I worked at a store that used to price everything in .77 incriments just to seem to be lower than those at .99

They could sell something at $11.77 and people would think its less than $10.99

Old 09-18-2014, 10:38 PM

477 posts, read 800,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckmann View Post
yeah the researchers figured this all out in the 30's.

We have been manipulated ever since.

PS the size and shapes of food and drink packaging has been studied in every bit the same way.

Do you really think you are immune to marketing?
You can't follow all of the people all of the time... Which also reminds me of a lot of rich people I know. Really rich people, especially if they were born into it, aren't running around trying to keep up with the Jones (they know they are the Jones). For example, a lot of people I see eating diet/reduced fat/whatever it's called (but it's all processed/packaged JUNK anyway ) are not fat. If the marking was so good, why are the real fat people "immune" to it? It's all about will. The fat people don't see themselves as fat or with a problem. Skinny people eating that, mind you this is not healthy food I'm referring to, probably have low self esteem and think "If I eat this I won't get fat". Where as someone who is in shape and healthy, is eating food they researched to be healthy/not processed. If I tell myself, I have enough shoes, I'm NOT going to buy the shoes someone is marketing. Yet you see people with 200 pairs of shoes who will buy a new pair with terrible/no marketing. I think most of the time marketing works, because of income. If someone can only afford to eat at McDonalds because it has a dollar menu, it's not marketing. The person wasn't going to a sit down restaurant or an expensive restaurant. They couldn't afford to. Business don't want to think "People only choose us, because they literally have no other option" they'd rather think "It was our great marketing". Studies show advertising is mostly a waste of money. Which is true, because most people (informed or not) usually take word of mouth over some silly ad.

Old 09-18-2014, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gen811 View Post
to trick stupid people into buying them
its a marketing trick.

now that more and more people are wising up they try other things like 98.99/99.98 or something like that
doesn't work on strong willed people or at least slightly smarter people.

Some stupid people still think 99.99 = 99.00 though...

but 90% of the consumers I would think have now seen past it.
they may be affected by it still but they are MUCH more resistant to it.

PS marketers we know your tricks.

I for one cannot be tricked by you marketers, or extremely unlikely/rare...try as you may, it will be me tricking you
Exactly. People buy what they want. Until about 2009, I realized people (even stupid one) aren't tricked by these things. It's a lot of external factors. There's a lot of people with shopping addictions. They use things to justify it. "I bought it because it was under X" when really it's not with taxes.

Old 09-19-2014, 04:06 AM

5,177 posts, read 4,788,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smommaof3 View Post
Exactly. People buy what they want. Until about 2009, I realized people (even stupid one) aren't tricked by these things. It's a lot of external factors. There's a lot of people with shopping addictions. They use things to justify it. "I bought it because it was under X" when really it's not with taxes.
Or maybe we are just wired that way - to see the odd number and not the even number.

Let me explain.

When I was a child, my parents shopped a small local grocery. My mom would phone in her order, and one of the three brothers who ran the place would write it down, doe the shopping, pack the boxes and deliver. 40 years before the failed Web Van. I distinctly remember a conversation my Mom had with Joe, one of the the brothers, when he dropped off the deliver.

He said that many people who came into his store were telling him that one of his competitors was selling something or other at 4 for 49 cents. He would tell them that he was selling at 5 for 50 cents, and they insisted that 4 for 49 was cheaper.

Now one can assume that all those people were stupid. Or one might theorize that there is something deeper in play.

All I am saying is that the marketers haves studied these phenomenons to the nth degree and have proven their conclusions true for many decades now.

The price of gas sown the street in my little town is 3.69 99/. What do you think the price of gas is when you see that on the sign?

Only a very few crackpots see 3.70

Old 09-19-2014, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckmann View Post
Or maybe we are just wired that way - to see the odd number and not the even number.

Let me explain.

When I was a child, my parents shopped a small local grocery. My mom would phone in her order, and one of the three brothers who ran the place would write it down, doe the shopping, pack the boxes and deliver. 40 years before the failed Web Van. I distinctly remember a conversation my Mom had with Joe, one of the the brothers, when he dropped off the deliver.

He said that many people who came into his store were telling him that one of his competitors was selling something or other at 4 for 49 cents. He would tell them that he was selling at 5 for 50 cents, and they insisted that 4 for 49 was cheaper.

Now one can assume that all those people were stupid. Or one might theorize that there is something deeper in play.

All I am saying is that the marketers haves studied these phenomenons to the nth degree and have proven their conclusions true for many decades now.

The price of gas sown the street in my little town is 3.69 99/. What do you think the price of gas is when you see that on the sign?

Only a very few crackpots see 3.70
I see 3.70. I'm not going to argue with someone over the prices they set, because they're not going to change them.

I don't think you can prove such a thing. It's like I said before, people aren't eating at McDonalds, because it's 99c vs 1. They're eating there, mostly, because they can't afford to eat other places. It's not marketing or advertising. There's too many external factors to say someone choice something do to advertising/marketing.

Old 09-19-2014, 09:18 PM

2,015 posts, read 1,647,276 times
Default psychology

as the other posts have said, $9.99 just seems so much cheaper than $10.they have also done studies and found that people would rather buy a $25 item that was marked down from $40 than buy a similar item for $20.in the second case your spending $20 but in the first case you're saving $15!
here is another example-which would people buy:
1--a product for $10
OR
2--while supplies last this product valued at $35 yours for only $9.99,you save over $25(remember you're not spending money, you're saving money).

Old 09-19-2014, 09:54 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,901,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
yes people believe $99.99 is less than $100 and stop buying something at $100.

I worked at a store that used to price everything in .77 incriments just to seem to be lower than those at .99

They could sell something at $11.77 and people would think its less than $10.99
I've noticed the store where I work ends up with even numbers on sale items. For instance something will start out at $14.97. First markdown is to $11.00. Second markdown is to $5.00. A BIG difference and people actually will wait till it reaches $5.00. I haven't noticed a lot of things ending in .99 for a long time. It's either .97 or .98. New marketing strategy? Who knows?

Old 09-20-2014, 07:38 PM

415 posts, read 560,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
The human brain ignores the last few numbers and only sees the first. So a car selling for 24,999 is a better deal than one selling for 25,000. The zeros do it.

Look at how house prices are referred to.
Hey this house is only 500k
Hey this house is HALF OF A MILLION DOLLARS.
But its a bargain at 500k
Only a very stupid human brain would look at 24,999 and not immediately see it as 25,000.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics