Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2014, 12:42 PM

5,342 posts, read 6,164,170 times

Advertisements

I don't think you could come up with a more low stress and decent paying job than retail. I worked in a grocery store for 8 years and there was absolutely no stress at all. I did my job and went home at the end of the day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2014, 12:49 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,877,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzourah2006 View Post
I don't think you could come up with a more low stress and decent paying job than retail. I worked in a grocery store for 8 years and there was absolutely no stress at all. I did my job and went home at the end of the day.
There are some psychos that come to retail that cause stress. I've had people come bang on the door after we closed for change, using the restroom, people who complained about the system being down during a holiday weekend (like it was my personal fault,) the scanner not reading a bar code, it not being found, it's in a horrible are, etc. and I've seen weird demands like "no ends" on deli meats or a 1/3 of a pound on meats (when the scales are set to quarters) and look at you weird when you say you can't do that... I wouldn't say grocery or other retail firms are exactly no stress jobs. Perhaps you as a person lets it slide off more easier or did not have problem customers.

Old 09-22-2014, 12:55 PM

723 posts, read 868,081 times
If I hadn't gone for a scientific career I would have been a plumber. Those people charge heaven and earth for trivial jobs. What a racket.

Old 09-22-2014, 06:05 PM

1,782 posts, read 2,743,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by el_marto View Post
If I hadn't gone for a scientific career I would have been a plumber. Those people charge heaven and earth for trivial jobs. What a racket.
A pipe burst in a doctor’s house. He called a plumber. The plumber arrived, unpacked his tools, did mysterious plumber-type things for a while, and handed the doctor a bill for $600.

The doctor exclaimed, “This is ridiculous! I don’t even make that much as a doctor!”

The plumber waited for him to finish and quietly said, “Neither did I when I was a doctor.”

Old 09-22-2014, 06:08 PM

1,267 posts, read 3,073,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UntilTheNDofTimE View Post
Why do people always think that job statue is what makes a person? The OP wants a menial job so he has no ambition and won't make anything of his life? So what if the OP doesn't want to join the rat race that everyone is so inclined to join. Some people think I'm crazy. I work an entry level job that I have little motivation to move out of. The pay affords me to live on my own, buy what I need, and live the life I choose. The reason I stay in my position is because it's a relatively easy job with little to no stress. I save more money on average than most that make over 100k do.

Some people say I have no ambition because I don't want a promotion I can easily get. People say the same thing about my 25 year old car (which is the same age as me) that I won't replace even though I can afford it. Some people enjoy living life rather than spending their life challenging themselves in the working world. Personally I'd rather just take walks, ride my bike, and enjoy life than deal with all the stress that comes with school, student loan debt, and high paying-high stressful jobs.
Right on point. If it makes you happy and is enough to put food on the table why change it? I know some very well financiallysuccessful people have happy lifes but most people who join the rat race are always stressful. Screw the protestant work ethic crap. At the end of the day you ae stressed out and feel tired all the time. From knowing and interaction with people i got the realization that most people do not have lifes. Have very few real friends etc. Why would i want a big flat screen tv if it does not make me happy?

Old 09-22-2014, 06:18 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,565,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by el_marto View Post

Trivial? You may want to look that word up to see how it's defined. If they were trivial then no one would pay those heaven on earth prices.

Old 09-22-2014, 07:07 PM

732 posts, read 1,045,123 times
The OP sounds like me when I was a young man. I went to community college and got an associates degree and tried university for awhile but I didn't like it. Couldn't find anything I wanted to study and just wanted a job with some security and one where I could support myself.

I got into janitorial work and have never regretted it. I'm a low key, low pressure kind of guy and this job allows me to work on my own, doing different things over the course of a shift rather than being chained to an office cubicle or a position on an assembly line all day.

Over the years, I've learned things other than cleaning and have picked up some skills in light electrical, plumbing and building maintenance. If OP ever does get "ambitious", he could get a boiler's license and run the heating and cooling system or take courses in plumbing, electrical, drywall, etc.

Good, experienced janitors can make good money. They are worth their weight in gold. The only negative is the low prestige factor. Folks tend to look down on janitors and think we are all illiterate and live in cardboard boxes. Not true.

I'm 55 now and have a good paying job with great benefits. I think I made the right choice for myself all those years ago. I agree with the sentiment that ambition shouldn't be defined only as a pursuit of money, status and power. Peace of mind, happiness and emotional well being are also fine ambitions.

Old 09-22-2014, 08:13 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,829,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almeida93 View Post
I don't care if its below avr pay. I just want to work to live. I am 20 years old working part time in retail and going to schoolbut have come to realize school is not for me. I want to do something that doesn't chain me to a desk, i don't cae if its low paying, as long as there are jobs available in such job.
Keep the job, for a while. In the meantime figure out what "to live" means to you. What do you do in your spare time, what do you like to do? Somebody, or a lot of people, are making money off of what you like to do. Figure out what they're doing and get some experience doing it and change jobs into that field. You're young, you have time to make mistakes in life - go for it!

Old 09-22-2014, 08:22 PM

1,267 posts, read 3,073,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandavaran View Post
The OP sounds like me when I was a young man. I went to community college and got an associates degree and tried university for awhile but I didn't like it. Couldn't find anything I wanted to study and just wanted a job with some security and one where I could support myself.

I got into janitorial work and have never regretted it. I'm a low key, low pressure kind of guy and this job allows me to work on my own, doing different things over the course of a shift rather than being chained to an office cubicle or a position on an assembly line all day.

Over the years, I've learned things other than cleaning and have picked up some skills in light electrical, plumbing and building maintenance. If OP ever does get "ambitious", he could get a boiler's license and run the heating and cooling system or take courses in plumbing, electrical, drywall, etc.

Good, experienced janitors can make good money. They are worth their weight in gold. The only negative is the low prestige factor. Folks tend to look down on janitors and think we are all illiterate and live in cardboard boxes. Not true.

I'm 55 now and have a good paying job with great benefits. I think I made the right choice for myself all those years ago. I agree with the sentiment that ambition shouldn't be defined only as a pursuit of money, status and power. Peace of mind, happiness and emotional well being are also fine ambitions.
Exactly man. My real friends and future wife will not care about what job i have. As long as it pays the bills abd i enjoy it i am set. I dont want or care for superficial people and what they think. I want a job that allows to be with my future kids, wife, friends. I want a job that allows to do sports, go out and have a social life. I dont want or care for a hige paying or stressful career. I am good with a liveable wage and something that is not too stressful and that i can enjoy.

I am an energetic person that likes to move around. I was actually thinking of a self employed house painter or something like that.

Old 09-22-2014, 08:30 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,933,513 times
How about Security Officer?

At the university where I work security officers are not paid very well ... anywhere from $9.50 - $13.00 an hour ... but they are unionized and get health/dental/visual insurance and paid vacations. It's mostly no cop work, but sitting at a desk and acting like a hotel concierge: checking I.D. and giving out information on things like local dining spots and how the public transit works. Patrol officers are on their feet but they make a little more money. At least it's not minimum wage and you can rise into becoming a sergeant/supervisor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics