Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2014, 05:33 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriBee62 View Post
There is an additional charge to put a child on the parent's policy.
Not if you already have a family policy..

The price to insure a family is the price to insure a family, regardless of the number of membes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2014, 05:37 PM

2,645 posts, read 3,330,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
The work atmosphere was improving in this country well before government mandated changes. Competition for labor is the biggest motivation.
Wow, you know embarrassingly little about American history. Maybe instead of spending all your time posting factually inaccurate information on chat forums, you could read up a little to educate yourself. Start with Triangle Shirtwaist Factory Fire of 1911. Move on to studying up what started the labor union movement in the United States.

Old 10-06-2014, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Wow, you know embarrassingly little about American history. Maybe instead of spending all your time posting factually inaccurate information on chat forums, you could read up a little to educate yourself. Start with Triangle Shirtwaist Factory Fire of 1911. Move on to studying up what started the labor union movement in the United States.
Oh I very well am aware of the history of this nation.

The AFLCIO wasnt created until 1955, Henry Ford standardized the 40 hour work week in 1914, employee benefits like insurance became introduced in the mid 1800s.

I know unions and government like to pretend they are responsible for improving the work conditions in america, but its a big fat LIE..

And the only reason Henry Ford created the 40 hour work week was personal GREED.. This was so he could run factories 24/7.. he also increased pay, but required employees to work at least 3 months before they'd see an increase in salary so by time he was paying them more, he had saved a large chunk due to lower turn over.

GREED made america what it is today, and you WHINE about it..

Old 10-06-2014, 05:45 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,682,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
Take a hypothetical situation. A 55 year old man is living in Los Angeles or San Francisco, he is able to earn $60,000/yr. works for a small company that does not offer health. He makes way too much money (over 400% of the poverty level) to qualify for any discount but $60k/yr is not a whole lot of money in LA. I see that even the Bronze plan is in the neighborhood of $450/month, is someone who makes $60k/yr mandated to spend $450/mo. on health insurance? The alternative is to pay the penalty but that's $1500 with nothing to show for it.

And with health insurance increasing at a rate of 10-15% annually what is going to happen in 5-10 years?

This idea sucks! The whole idea was cost control of health care and insurance and that is clearly not happening. The insurance is still ridiculously expensive.. and those that earn over $45k are required to buy it themselves and those under well, the taxpayer will cover it. LOL! What was expected is that insurance and health care become *AFFORDABLE* not subsidize and mandate purchase of ridiculously expensive and overpriced products and services.

Mandating someone who makes $60k in a super high cost area to buy $6000 worth of insurance yearly is asinine. As it is people can't get by or save for the future with escalating costs and stagnating wages... is this ridiculous requirement even feasible long term?

Even the employer mandate is a joke... employers are simply required to provide health insurance, not *affordable* health insurance. Yes, they can provide the same $450/mo. policy with employee paying 100%, what does that solve?
I think you've been watching too much Fox news.

Old 10-06-2014, 05:47 PM

2,645 posts, read 3,330,138 times
Quote:
Yes because without the FDA, grocery stores would be selling poisoned food.
Do you really believe that?
Honestly, I don't care what you think I believe. It's clear by your many posts that your agenda is to simply bait people into arguments. I only wished I'd recognized that before wasting the keystrokes. I'm moving on to people actually interested in having a real discussion.

Old 10-06-2014, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Honestly, I don't care what you think I believe. It's clear by your many posts that your agenda is to simply bait people into arguments. I only wished I'd recognized that before wasting the keystrokes. I'm moving on to people actually interested in having a real discussion.
I simply asked you a question, you avoided it.

Again, do you think grocery stores would be selling poisonous foods without the FDA?

Old 10-06-2014, 05:59 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,816,860 times
Quote:
Very true.

Old 10-06-2014, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
Very true.
This is what the other poster stated
Quote:
I tend to consider the Food & Drug Administration pretty important. Especially in this age when corporations are so rich, they can afford to pay you off for poisoning your kid to death and not even see a squeak in the quarterly results.
That sure in hell reads that she believes companies would just sell poisonous food which is completely ridiculous.

how the hell does any thinking individual believe that it makes sense to pay someone thousands upon thousands of dollars in lawsuit money in exchange for a $20 sale?

And as soon as people find out the store was selling bad food, no one would shop there and they would go eleswhere..

What she said makes absolutely NO sense..

Old 10-06-2014, 06:49 PM

46,951 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
In the other side of the coin, if you don't get sick at all you get screwed paying the premiums and detestable. You can't win either way unless you get sick while on insurance.
That's a strange definition of "winning". I am <knock-on-wood> fairly healthy, I have what I believe is very decent coverage through my employer, and I thank my lucky stars that I am, by your definition, "losing".

Old 10-06-2014, 06:50 PM

46,951 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
That sure in hell reads that she believes companies would just sell poisonous food which is completely ridiculous.

how the hell does any thinking individual believe that it makes sense to pay someone thousands upon thousands of dollars in lawsuit money in exchange for a $20 sale?

And as soon as people find out the store was selling bad food, no one would shop there and they would go eleswhere..
You should read "The Jungle". Great example of what happens when we close our eyes and let the market sort it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics