Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 11:23 AM

29,892 posts, read 18,721,597 times

Advertisements

I have definietly noticed it. It{s a busniess decision and based on maximizing volume becasue so many of your cost factors such as building rent, advertising, incurance,etc. are somehat fixed. If you can increase your sales volume, it can be the difference between profit and loss. So if you competitiors are open and you arent, you lose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2014, 05:53 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,860,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Good points. I would also add that their retirement benefits are fantastic because they FORCE people to save something like 9% out of their paychecks (with employer match) and it is a private Social Security system whereby people invest in stocks & bonds. When a private system was proposed for the US, certain people went ballistic.

If we forced all Americans to save 9% in 401K type plans, our retirement benefits would be great, too. I sympathize with those who don't have employer sponsored plans (although you can still open an IRA), but most folks who have employer plans still won't save even 9%. It's very frustrating.
When a private system for Social Security was first proposed, my first thought was people would have to be forced to contribute. Way too many out here who would rather keep, and spend, the money they 'should be' saving. I wouldn't mind having 18%, half of which is actually 'free' money with the employer match. I'd never go "ballistic" about this issue but I have my doubts as to how well it would work if left up to the individual how to 'invest' their money...or not. So, like SS now it would be "forced" on us and taken out of our checks. Same difference.

I've only ever worked for two places that even offered a 401k. First place I worked long enough to be eligible to participate and then lost that job. Second place is where I work now but a 401k at this point in my life isn't a big deal. I'm long into retirement years already. The stock options are a good deal though.

Old 10-21-2014, 12:42 PM

30,864 posts, read 36,786,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
When a private system for Social Security was first proposed, my first thought was people would have to be forced to contribute. Way too many out here who would rather keep, and spend, the money they 'should be' saving. I wouldn't mind having 18%, half of which is actually 'free' money with the employer match. I'd never go "ballistic" about this issue but I have my doubts as to how well it would work if left up to the individual how to 'invest' their money...or not. So, like SS now it would be "forced" on us and taken out of our checks. Same difference.
Right. I definitely think we should have a private SS system. But a certain group of people will go ballistic if such a change is proposed again. There are some legitimate objections...it would depend on the fees charged by the private plan, the investment options, etc. But also, you have the cost of phasing out the old SS system. So there are legitimate issues. But some people will automatically freak out the minute you mention a "private" SS system without asking any pertinent questions, even though countries like Australia have shown it can be done successfully---and better than ours. But you most definitely would have to force people into it. The majority of people just will not save enough on their own if it isn't mandatory.

Old 10-21-2014, 12:44 PM

6,476 posts, read 7,299,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmexman View Post
Here in the USA, it is not unusual for department stores to be open until midnight, sometimes even 24 hours. Some close 8/9pm, but that is relatively early nowadays.

In Canada, Australia, and Europe shopping hours are much reduced, there may be two nights of extended shopping hours until 9pm or so, with reduced Saturday hours and even more reduced (if existent) Sunday hours. In the USA stores are open just as long on Saturdays, if not longer; and Sunday hours are not much shorter compared to other countries.

Why is this the case?
Because Americans get off their asses and hustle. That's why.

Old 10-21-2014, 09:58 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,692,841 times
As explained in other posts, it is because Saturday is the biggest day for many businesses as this is the day families have for shopping. You stay open, for the hours customers patronize your store. Some retail stores do nearly as much business on Sunday as Saturday, and they stay open to accommodate the customers.

Staying open when customers want to shop, can mean the difference between being quite profitable or going broke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics