Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2014, 11:53 PM

5,819 posts, read 7,227,327 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
I'm talking over $5million. You don't want "financial advisors" sticking their noses and hands into your money since you already know what you're going to do with it. Big problem is, FDIC only covers $250K. TOTAL... so even if you have 10 accounts at one bank with $250K in each one, you'll only be covered for $250K in the event something happens. So, what do you do? Do you spread this money out over several banks?
Let's assume you know what you're talking about (although that seems unlikely from your post, sorry to be blunt). And you are going to move your $5 million fairly soon into something permanent. So what you're asking is how do you store it until you move it?

1) Don't store it for long.

2) Just put it in a big, well-capped bank that has -zero- chance of failing in the next 30-60 days. Which is pretty much every big bank in this country. This ain't 2009 is it?

3) You don't put it in a CD, you just put it in a std commercial account. No interest, no fail, no fees.

Then move it ASAP.

This is one of those, if you have to ask you can't afford it, kinda questions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2014, 12:25 AM

30,891 posts, read 36,934,424 times
Quote:
I'm talking over $5million. You don't want "financial advisors" sticking their noses and hands into your money since you already know what you're going to do with it. Big problem is, FDIC only covers $250K. TOTAL... so even if you have 10 accounts at one bank with $250K in each one, you'll only be covered for $250K in the event something happens. So, what do you do? Do you spread this money out over several banks?
Oh, geez. If you have $5M, you shouldn't be putting all of your money in banks, for heaven's sake!

Old 10-15-2014, 05:02 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,857,645 times
Quote:
Accelerate your children's inheritance. Send them to NYC private schools and private liberal arts colleges (ie Sarah Lawrence).

Old 10-15-2014, 05:30 AM

323 posts, read 428,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by celcius View Post
Looks like you need a financial advisor, because putting it in the bank is not a solution.

The FDIC limit is irrelevant, because (as any financially competent person would tell you) you would never have the entire amount in bank accounts, no matter how many accounts you spread it across.

You could put well north of $5 million into one brokerage account, invest in a balanced portfolio of stocks/bonds/mutual funds, and you would be safe from whatever FDIC would ordinarily protect you from.
gobble-dy-****! fdic insurance is highly relevant......lol.

Old 10-15-2014, 05:30 AM

21,097 posts, read 19,692,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RecentGrad1 View Post
I can't imagine the logistics of setting up accounts with 10+ different banks. Wouldn't it be easier to just decide what to do with the money?
Can you deposit a check from the state lottery into any investment accounts. Don't you have to write a check of your own (drawn from a bank account)? No, I would not put the initial investment into 10 banks. I trust my bank enough that I wouldn't have any doubts about putting all my money there short term. I was just answering the OP's question.

Last edited by Retroit; 10-15-2014 at 05:42 AM..

Old 10-15-2014, 05:33 AM

21,097 posts, read 19,692,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by celcius View Post
It would still be significantly better to place in one brokerage account, into a sweep money market fund.
Can you deposit a state lottery check into a brokerage account? ...a sweep money market account?

Old 10-15-2014, 05:58 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,565,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Can you deposit a check from the state lottery into any investment accounts. Don't you have to write a check of your own (drawn from a bank account)? No, I would not put the initial investment into 10 banks. I trust my bank enough that I wouldn't have any doubts about putting all my money there short term. I was just answering the OP's question.
You do not have to write a check from your checking account in order to deposit it into your brokerage account. We have plenty of clients who do not have banking relationships outside of their brokerage relationship.

Also I would wager any lottery system would offer to send the funds via wire transfer which is what I'd do instead of dealing with a check

Old 10-15-2014, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Can you deposit a state lottery check into a brokerage account? ...a sweep money market account?

Yes you can we accept deposits from clients all day everyday drawn on third party accounts

Old 10-15-2014, 06:14 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,911,742 times
Quote:
So, let's say you come into a lot of money....
I'm talking over $5million.
An inheritance?
Quote:
You don't want "financial advisors" sticking their noses and hands into your money
since you already know what you're going to do with it.
Do you?

Quote:
Big problem is, FDIC only covers $250K. TOTAL...
So, what do you do? Do you spread this money out over several banks?
This is a prime example of why the estate tax laws work.
People who can't manage money (giving or receiving) shouldn't have it... and soon won't.

Whoever has accumulated $5M to give away should also have accumulated the knowledge
needed to manage that and to manage the eventual disbursement in a manner that is both
personally responsible and financially appropriate to all parties.

Old 10-15-2014, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
An inheritance?

Do you?

This is a prime example of why the estate tax laws work.
People who can't manage money (giving or receiving) shouldn't have it... and soon won't.

Whoever has accumulated $5M to give away should also have accumulated the knowledge
needed to manage that and to manage the eventual disbursement in a manner that is both
personally responsible and financially appropriate to all parties.

What do estate tax laws have to do with this? Given that the federal exemption is over 5mm the estate tax is either a non-event or limited impact
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics