Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2014, 08:50 AM

3,184 posts, read 4,844,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbnetworking View Post
There are 3 million millionaires in the US. Today's millionaires are overrated. $10 Million net worth should be called the new millionaire, shall we give it a new name?

I think we should call it "Tenillionaire."
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
I think "decamillionaire" sounds better.
Or "Supermillionaire"

ULTRAMILLIONAIRE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2014, 09:07 AM

1,380 posts, read 2,396,234 times
Where the millionaires really differ from the rest of us is not about lavish houses, vacations, clothes, or whatever bric a brac that merchants peddle and whose advertisements insist otherwise. The real luxury the rich enjoy (and not only the super rich; also the common millionaires if they're not so foolish as to throw is away) is a real sense security in life. Most people have to live with the threat of ruin should a job loss or other catastrophe strike. Millionaires have independence and peace of mind in knowing that they could live simply, perhaps, but nevertheless without a care if they so choose.

Old 10-21-2014, 09:54 AM

4,873 posts, read 3,598,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
That is unless you have a Prius or Leaf. The Leaf is a joke car and the Prius just makes you the butt of jokes. I think Chevrolet and Ford have electric cars too but they aren't as talked about as the Prius and the Leaf.
The Prius makes you the butt of jokes? Did you time-travel here from 2003?

Old 10-21-2014, 10:12 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,440,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Of course I have investments, what choice do I have? If I buy gas for my car, that means I can't be critical of the oil industry? The only way for me to have integrity in my complaints against big oil is to give up my car and walk everywhere, and if I don't I'm a hypocrite, is that what you are saying? Again, what choice do most of us really have? If I have stocks, not only can I still criticize Wall Street, as a customer I have more of an obligation to look at their overall practices and speak out against wrongdoing.

Anyone who has investments does have a choice. Many people would say "I don't have investments, what choice do I have?"

Old 10-21-2014, 10:46 AM

4,212 posts, read 6,898,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMiller View Post
This was my first thought also.

Old 10-21-2014, 11:22 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,786,210 times
Pretty soon a million dollars will be what you need to be just above the poverty line. Now if you could take that million dollars and go back to the 50's you could live Rat Pack rich. What we really need is a time machine or at least 5 million to be considered rich.

Old 10-21-2014, 11:43 AM

2,222 posts, read 2,343,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
Pretty soon a million dollars will be what you need to be just above the poverty line. Now if you could take that million dollars and go back to the 50's you could live Rat Pack rich. What we really need is a time machine or at least 5 million to be considered rich.
So true, the twenty dollar bill is the old five dollar bill.
The twenty is just about brought out to pay for everything.
I imagine that it won't be too long that we'll see the hundred dollar bill take the place of a twenty.

Old 10-21-2014, 12:09 PM

25,552 posts, read 17,251,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace_TX View Post
seriously, let me borrow $50k
What would you do with it?
Seriously.
I have 50K. And I'm an investor. So, what would you do with my 50K to insure that (1) I get a return on my investment, and (2) you don't have to go somewhere else to borrow 60K so that you can pay me back.

Old 10-21-2014, 12:13 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,877,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMiller View Post
No the Prius and hybrid cars in general is still the butt of jokes.
Toyota Prius Jokes - 39 jokes by professional comedians!
I'd post memes and demotivation pictures with a Prius but most are not appropriate for sites like city-data but here are some of the clean ones.

Old 10-21-2014, 12:14 PM

25,552 posts, read 17,251,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbnetworking View Post
.......However, if you live in the middle of no where, like Utah, New Mexico or Alabama, then you probably can feel special.
Right you are! I know when we strike it rich, I'm moving to Alabama! They got 'lectricity everywhere over there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics