U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2014, 12:51 PM

3,692 posts, read 5,620,211 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
No the Prius and hybrid cars in general is still the butt of jokes.
Toyota Prius Jokes - 39 jokes by professional comedians!
I'd post memes and demotivation pictures with a Prius but most are not appropriate for sites like city-data but here are some of the clean ones.

I disagree that it is "in general" these days. Sure you can find anecdotal evidence of ANYTHING being the butt of a joke. The prius owners are about as much the butt of a joke as the stereotypical prius-haters are. I don't own a Prius or any hybrid or alternative fuel car but I also don't notice anything ubiquitously joke-worthy about them.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2014, 12:55 PM

3,698 posts, read 2,632,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
No the Prius and hybrid cars in general is still the butt of jokes.
Toyota Prius Jokes - 39 jokes by professional comedians!
I'd post memes and demotivation pictures with a Prius but most are not appropriate for sites like city-data but here are some of the clean ones.
I'm not sure a motivational poster citing a movie from last decade helps your point, but whatever, humor is subjective, etc. I can only say that in the last few years I've heard more jokes about friends with zeroes in their phone number, than about the Prius.

Old 10-21-2014, 01:12 PM

33,230 posts, read 18,259,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMiller View Post
I'm not sure a motivational poster citing a movie from last decade helps your point, but whatever, humor is subjective, etc. I can only say that in the last few years I've heard more jokes about friends with zeroes in their phone number, than about the Prius.
It's more common in the gear head and car enthusiast communities I guess. I admit I am one and my brother is. There was also the joke in the Horrible Bosses trailer where they ran a Prius through a redlight and claimed they were street racing.
To the original point I made, the only way that you can put your money where you mouth is with big oil is to buy a hybrid or pure electric car. The issue is many people still are unsure about electric cars and some still make jokes about it. Regardless, I wont make a joke about Bigfoot #20, the first all electric monster truck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U41fJ-pd2vE

Old 10-21-2014, 01:57 PM

3,698 posts, read 2,632,323 times
Would love to sneak up behind someone in that.

Old 10-21-2014, 06:53 PM

2,781 posts, read 2,613,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzo View Post
Hi, I'm one of those evil Millionaires who are living lavish lives and not paying their fair share.
The government says I'm responsible for a low minimum wage, people without homes and high health care costs.

Almost every speech I hear Obama talk about how bad we are and should pay our fair share!

So here I am to brag about my life. To tell you, the little people, how I live in luxury.
This is my confession, so eat your heart out.

I drive expensive and luxurious cars!
I own a 9 year old Saturn Vue. It's the length of a small car and I use it to haul rocks, junk, drywall etc. I used it to haul stuff when I built shelving in my luxurious one car garage. But I park on the street. On some day's I even have someone else drive me to work. That's right, I have someone who's only job is to drive people like me to work. It's the 156 bus.
My wife parks in the garage in her 8 year old car we bought used.
And my garage has an automatic garage door opener! hahahaha luxury!

I wear high priced clothes!
Right now I'm wearing a Gap Henley, a sweater from REI, hiking boots from 3 years ago, and Levis Jeans that are a year old. That's right beatches, my jeans are only a year old!

I eat at expensive restaurants!
My last dinner I ate at the neighborhood bar. Before lunch I ate at potbellies. For our 10th anniversary we went to an Italian place and rang up an outrageous bill of $170.
We go out to eat 2-3 times a month, because we can!

I shop at the best stores!
Gap, Levis, Costco, REI, Nordstrums and Macy's. Why just this year I got a tailored suit. I didn't really need one, my last suit I bought was in 2004 when I got married.
See, I even buy expensive clothes when I don't need to!
And I just got back from Costco and divided the food into two person servings. We have a STOCKED freezer, with MEAT!

I have money just spread around me!
Right now I have $42 in wallet as 'mad money'. That's money I carry around just in case I want to spend it! I have a big honking bowl of coins by the washing machine, cuz cash just flows out of my pockets. Why this week alone I found 52 cents that I picked up off the ground. Mostly its just pennies, but I pick up every one I see. Money must just fall from the sky around me!

Both my wife and I work full time jobs. Mine is 40 hours a week, my wife is a little more. She just got finished working 9 days straight. She spent 15 years learning her craft. I supported the family and she only have a mere $150,000 in student loans. We make so much, the government told us the student loans were no longer tax deductible. So we get to pay out about $12,000 a year in loans for interest only. We have so much money we pay the interest off every month. (But for some reason the principle is going up)

But back to the point. We are Millionaires!!!!

Yep, I've got it all calculated out. Right now we can retire in the high life!
At our ages we can expect to retire with $1,600 a month for the rest of our lives. That is 20% over the poverty rate! Ha HA HA!
Shoot we even have money to pay for my father in law's medical bill deductible after he fell down the stairs.

(except for that pesky student loan. )

So when you hear that those Millionaires aren't paying their fair share and are living the high life. They are talking about us Beatches!!!!! Obama says we are RICH!!!!
Hey beach---good for you!

Old 10-22-2014, 12:07 AM

28,316 posts, read 30,906,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
In America 20% of the population is living below the average standard of living in Bangladesh.
You were making a convincing argument until you started spewing this nonsense.

Old 10-22-2014, 12:18 AM

28,316 posts, read 30,906,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
True-but they certainly pay their fair share-or did at some point. I would not want to be in their position honestly.

"In-betweeners"-those that are "well off" but don't have the government/corporate connections or enough money to buy elections and bribe people full time- are being bled dry to cover the bulk of our tax bill-they cover those at the bottom and those few at the very top.

Unless this OP has Millions and Millions offshore in accounts in The Cayman Islands and uses his money to buy elections and destroy our Democratic process I don't think anyone cares about his money.

I know everyone wants to think they are wealthy and part of the 0.1% but this thread just shows how completely off base most people are as to how much is actually needed.

My point is I don't think the OP should pay a penny more in taxes-in fact I bet he pays way too much as it is, just like 99.9% of people.
I don't know if I quite feel sorry for people who have a million or two in liquid net worth. In general, I do think people in the top 20% income brackets pay more than their fair share in taxes. But it's certainly possible to become a millionaire without being in the top 20% income. Granted, most people don't because they're too concerned with socially mandated lifestyle choices instead of focusing on true necessities. The bottom 50%, for the most part, do not pay their fair share, because most of them aren't paying anything.

Since something like 47% of people in the U.S. don't pay any federal income tax at all...so I still don't think your post is accurate.

Old 10-22-2014, 06:52 AM

517 posts, read 633,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Sooo...the OP isn't even in the top 1%.

Kinda funny...people don't realize just how wealthy that top 1% is. But heres the funny part-its not the 1% thats the issue, its the .1%. The 1%'ers are often just common businessmen....and they often work hard for their money.
Exactly.

The problem is not the single digit millionaires, those guys are actually fairly modest and hard earners and very hard savers to get to where they are. They are not the problem. People should read the book "The Millionaire Next Door" to see that the average millionaire is not about Ferraris and mansions and private jets at all...its surprisng amount of ordinary people who saved well, lived frugally, and did not live a high consumption lifestyle.

Now the real problem is the 0.1% just as you said. These guys do not earn a living....they do so via financial instruments and basically effect their will on the world via their vast wealth.

A friend told me a nice explanation of the three categories of "wealth"

To the poor - wealth is like oxygen, anytime you have it you feel a great sense of relief/pleasure and it's amazing every time you get some of it but it's hard to come by.

To the majority - wealth is an insurance against catastrophe, it protects against emergencies and if you fall on hard times wealth is there so you do not end up on the streets while you get back on your feet.

To the rich - wealth is a tool to effect your will on the world. This is done via organizations/PACs/etc. (think Gates foundation, Clinton Global Initiative, funding of PACs/political candidates by Koch and others, etc.) as well as other means.

(note that the common definition of "rich" to mean you don't have to work does not cover the "rich" because there are many retired people who do not have to work and they are far far from the true rich of this nation)

Old 10-22-2014, 09:28 AM

519 posts, read 641,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ginmqi View Post
Exactly.

The problem is not the single digit millionaires, those guys are actually fairly modest and hard earners and very hard savers to get to where they are. They are not the problem. People should read the book "The Millionaire Next Door" to see that the average millionaire is not about Ferraris and mansions and private jets at all...its surprisng amount of ordinary people who saved well, lived frugally, and did not live a high consumption lifestyle.

Now the real problem is the 0.1% just as you said. These guys do not earn a living....they do so via financial instruments and basically effect their will on the world via their vast wealth.

A friend told me a nice explanation of the three categories of "wealth"

To the poor - wealth is like oxygen, anytime you have it you feel a great sense of relief/pleasure and it's amazing every time you get some of it but it's hard to come by.

To the majority - wealth is an insurance against catastrophe, it protects against emergencies and if you fall on hard times wealth is there so you do not end up on the streets while you get back on your feet.

To the rich - wealth is a tool to effect your will on the world. This is done via organizations/PACs/etc. (think Gates foundation, Clinton Global Initiative, funding of PACs/political candidates by Koch and others, etc.) as well as other means.

(note that the common definition of "rich" to mean you don't have to work does not cover the "rich" because there are many retired people who do not have to work and they are far far from the true rich of this nation)
The following post does not represent my actual views, but is strictly intended to make a point:

You know, I don't really have a problem with lower middle class people that struggle to get by and don't pay much in the way of taxes.

However, I cannot stand the truly poor. They contribute nothing to society but expect to live a comfortable life. They pay no taxes and collect social welfare benefits like it's their job. In fact, going to cash their welfare check is probably the only productive thing they do in a given month. They don't care that all of the benefits being paid to them are being financed through debt that will be passed on to their numerous children.

Don't I sound kind of like an idiot? I'm making broad generalizations about a group of people that are no doubt a cross section of society. Some poor people probably are lazy and useless and do nothing but milk the system. Others are struggling to get ahead. Many may have physical or mental limitations that limit their earning power.

I'm sure everyone would disagree with the above post. What I don't understand is why it's considered ok to say the same things about top wage earners. I don't care if its the top 1%, top .1% or top .00001%. They're just people. Some of them probably are evil money grubbers. Others are guys like Steve Jobs and Bill Gates that made stuff that all of you use and got really rich doing it. Was Steve Jobs one of these evil xx.xx%ers that is ruining the world?

What about all of the Hollywood Hypocrites? They make tremendous sums of money, are they part of the problem? Or, are they exempt by your arbitrary standards because they spout off about boycotting toilets until everyone in the world has one and occasionally appear in a Prius instead of their Escalade or Bentley?

Making broad yet specific generalizations about any large group of people says a lot more about the people making the generalizations than it does the people they are referring to.

Old 10-22-2014, 09:51 AM

15,528 posts, read 20,991,618 times
Simple question.... how much to do you put into your 401K every year?
$100,000/year for 20 years give you $2 million ... assuming you get zero in interests

If it's less than $100,000/year, you are doing something seriously wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or