Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 04:40 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,936,058 times

Advertisements

If all the retailers are getting kicked in but what will happen to all the commercial RE? Yes Starbucks, Subway, and Rite Aid can take over for all the mom and pop shops, but they can only open up so many before they start feeling the pinch.

Seems like all retail is going online, warehouse, large strip malls. What will happen to the Main Streets, downtowns, and Town Centers? We they simply be rezoned? Regarding Strip malls, you can also only have so many of those too. Look at the Xanadu in NJ. It is just sitting there. Are they just not going to do anything with it. Why not turn it into goverment housing or something?

In Manhattan all I see are restaurants and bodegas, which are basically restaurants without seating, and the food is ready to just take and go. I see vintage coffee shops, hipster ice cream parlors, boutiques popping up but I doubt they have a market outside the gentrified areas of midtown and Downtown Manhattan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2014, 08:14 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,519,030 times
Commercial space will go down in price. What would you rather have? Less revenue or NO revenue

Old 10-24-2014, 07:52 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,563 posts, read 81,131,933 times
That depends on where you are. We have a huge mall in Bellevue, WA (actually 3 together) that's undergoing a great expansion, and is doing very well. That, despite being in a very tech-savvy area where many of the higher paid Amazon. Microsoft and Boeing employees are living. Here in downtown Seattle there are several commercial skyscrapers under construction, plus others with a mix of retail and residential. The low-end retailers such as Walmart, Sears, JC Penney and Target are the ones most affected by online shopping. The high-end shops are doing fine because people don't want to pay $100 for a shirt or $300 for shoes unless they can see them first.

The Bellevue Collection

Old 10-24-2014, 07:55 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,921,685 times
In my area a lot of them end up as homes for squatters.

Old 10-24-2014, 08:04 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,361,596 times
Well run retailers can execute a bricks&mortar strategy just as effectively as anything online.

Poorly run firms eventually get knocked out by competitors that do better.

Old 10-24-2014, 08:47 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,792,327 times
There's nothing permanent in retail except it purpose: to trade. Trade has existed for 8000 years. The way it's been conducted has changed numerous times. The modern rise and fall of shopping malls, big box stores, downtown shopping districts are just a few ripples on the never ending stream.

Old 10-24-2014, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
That depends on where you are. We have a huge mall in Bellevue, WA (actually 3 together) that's undergoing a great expansion, and is doing very well. That, despite being in a very tech-savvy area where many of the higher paid Amazon. Microsoft and Boeing employees are living. Here in downtown Seattle there are several commercial skyscrapers under construction, plus others with a mix of retail and residential. The low-end retailers such as Walmart, Sears, JC Penney and Target are the ones most affected by online shopping. The high-end shops are doing fine because people don't want to pay $100 for a shirt or $300 for shoes unless they can see them first.

The Bellevue Collection
So it is similar to what is going on Manhattan. Only the rich can afford to window shop. It seems like the trend is for all the wealthy to live in cool, vibrant city centers, and I guess the Commercial RE there will always be strong. But what about the Main Streets, and strip malls of the suburbs, exurbs and rural areas where I believe the majority of our people live? Or is this not only a question of commercial RE's fate in those places, but of the residential as well? Experts predict more and more people will flood to the cities and the bordering towns.

Old 10-24-2014, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Well run retailers can execute a bricks&mortar strategy just as effectively as anything online.

Poorly run firms eventually get knocked out by competitors that do better.
Then why does it seem like they are reeling? Barnes and Nobles, KMart, Best Buy, RadioShack, etc cant seem to pull it together.

Old 10-24-2014, 11:33 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,563 posts, read 81,131,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
So it is similar to what is going on Manhattan. Only the rich can afford to window shop. It seems like the trend is for all the wealthy to live in cool, vibrant city centers, and I guess the Commercial RE there will always be strong. But what about the Main Streets, and strip malls of the suburbs, exurbs and rural areas where I believe the majority of our people live? Or is this not only a question of commercial RE's fate in those places, but of the residential as well? Experts predict more and more people will flood to the cities and the bordering towns.
In our suburban city of 50,000 we have only two suburban strip malls, no big box stores. One has just done a complete facelift of all buildings, with new signage, and added Trader Joe's, but with no vacacies had to put out a hardware store. Both of them are full with longtime tenants.

Old 10-24-2014, 11:48 AM

18,547 posts, read 15,579,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
If all the retailers are getting kicked in but what will happen to all the commercial RE? Yes Starbucks, Subway, and Rite Aid can take over for all the mom and pop shops, but they can only open up so many before they start feeling the pinch.

Seems like all retail is going online, warehouse, large strip malls. What will happen to the Main Streets, downtowns, and Town Centers? We they simply be rezoned? Regarding Strip malls, you can also only have so many of those too. Look at the Xanadu in NJ. It is just sitting there. Are they just not going to do anything with it. Why not turn it into goverment housing or something?

In Manhattan all I see are restaurants and bodegas, which are basically restaurants without seating, and the food is ready to just take and go. I see vintage coffee shops, hipster ice cream parlors, boutiques popping up but I doubt they have a market outside the gentrified areas of midtown and Downtown Manhattan.
I guess there will be a push for re-zoning away from commercial until it gets back to equilibrium, but who knows?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics