Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2014, 11:53 AM

1,152 posts, read 1,277,659 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Many states have decided that property taxes should reflect tenure (own/rent) choices. How stupid and class warfare is that?
I haven't the foggiest. That is your hobby horse, not mine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2014, 12:03 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,451,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prosopis View Post
I haven't the foggiest. That is your hobby horse, not mine.

So you're okay with it. Got it.

Old 11-06-2014, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
So you're okay with it. Got it.
No, what that meant is that I've no idea what you are talking about and haven't the interest to go find out. If you want to explain, go ahead and I'll form an opinion on your explanation.

Old 11-06-2014, 12:29 PM

18,547 posts, read 15,581,120 times
Quote:
Nah, makes no sense. The country as a whole benefits from whatever degree of uniformity we've managed to work into public education. I'm not talking about standardized testing and the usual Department of Education BS - I'm talking about a kid from the wrong side of the tracks in podunk rural state having roughly the same education as rich kid from the big city.
What uniformity? Even from discussing the issue on C-D, it is clear that parents often live 30+ minutes away from work so their kids can have access to better public schooling. If there was uniformity, this wouldn't be so common.

Quote:

The rather dopey idea that people's property taxes should reflect their reproductive choices would just aggravate the educational disparities we already see in public schools.
Why is having taxes dependent on family size any more of an issue in that respect than having them depend on house values? They are already a lot higher in HCOL areas like the DC area for instance than they are in LCOL areas such as suburban Midwest or rural deep South.

Old 11-06-2014, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
What uniformity? Even from discussing the issue on C-D, it is clear that parents often live 30+ minutes away from work so their kids can have access to better public schooling. If there was uniformity, this wouldn't be so common.
Yes, there are already disparities. It seems to me that your property tax idea would simply make them worse, and if we are to entertain novel ideas, they should perhaps be ones that improve things. On the other hand, perhaps where you live the rates are high enough that it seems to be a painful bite - out here the rates are very reasonable, and that distinction will naturally influence our divergent views on the matter.

Quote:
Why is having taxes dependent on family size any more of an issue in that respect than having them depend on house values? They are already a lot higher in HCOL areas like the DC area for instance than they are in LCOL areas such as suburban Midwest or rural deep South.
It isn't really, when it comes right down to it we could simply eliminate all forms of taxation but one and keep everything much more simple. I tend to prefer keeping many decisions and policies local, which property taxes are.

Old 11-06-2014, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Yes, there are already disparities. It seems to me that your property tax idea would simply make them worse, and if we are to entertain novel ideas, they should perhaps be ones that improve things. On the other hand, perhaps where you live the rates are high enough that it seems to be a painful bite - out here the rates are very reasonable, and that distinction will naturally influence our divergent views on the matter.

It isn't really, when it comes right down to it we could simply eliminate all forms of taxation but one and keep everything much more simple. I tend to prefer keeping many decisions and policies local, which property taxes are.
Ok, now I'm unclear on why you think my proposal would make things worse, given that you admit to a lack of uniformity in public schooling and property taxes under the current system.

Old 11-06-2014, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Ok, now I'm unclear on why you think my proposal would make things worse, given that you admit to a lack of uniformity in public schooling and property taxes under the current system.
Lack of uniformity is your phrase, disparity in quality is mine.

Even if I go with your phrase though, why do you assume that uniformity is an all or nothing, 0 or 1, sort of quantity. I would say it is a scale from complete to nothing, with an infinite set of points between.

How uniform is the current public schooling, on average? Who knows. 50% say, just for the sake of argument. What I'm saying is that under your proposal, however fair it may be objectively, that 50% will drop to 25% or some other completely arbitrary amount.

I may be wrong about all this, but it seems to me a pretty obvious cause and effect.

Old 11-06-2014, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Lack of uniformity is your phrase, disparity in quality is mine.

Even if I go with your phrase though, why do you assume that uniformity is an all or nothing, 0 or 1, sort of quantity. I would say it is a scale from complete to nothing, with an infinite set of points between.

How uniform is the current public schooling, on average? Who knows. 50% say, just for the sake of argument. What I'm saying is that under your proposal, however fair it may be objectively, that 50% will drop to 25% or some other completely arbitrary amount.

I may be wrong about all this, but it seems to me a pretty obvious cause and effect.
Why? Shouldn't there be more uniformity, rather than less, if education expenses and property tax revenue are more in line?

The way things are now, areas with more childless households have less education expense but similar revenue. The money per pupil in the local public school system is thus larger than in an area with more families with lots of kids.

Under my proposal, this would no longer be the case.

Old 11-06-2014, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Why? Shouldn't there be more uniformity, rather than less, if education expenses and property tax revenue are more in line?

The way things are now, areas with more childless households have less education expense but similar revenue. The money per pupil in the local public school system is thus larger than in an area with more families with lots of kids.

Under my proposal, this would no longer be the case.
If property taxes were levied uniformly throughout the states and country, you are correct that there would be little effect. Property taxes, however, are levied at the county level.

Old 11-06-2014, 07:10 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,053,260 times
Quote:
Property taxes, however, are levied at the county level.
Not always true. In some states it's not true at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics