Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2014, 07:13 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,333,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mass Transit user View Post
The local Food Banks where I live are mostly empty now
They are empty where I am too, but for a different reason. A mass influx of poor mostly illegal immigrants overwhelm our local food banks. I see them lined up outside the food bank in long lines, the women with papooses on their backs lined up around the block and the men who look like they just came down from the mountain villages in Guatemala.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2014, 08:32 PM

2,645 posts, read 3,311,437 times
Yes, I support homeless SHELTERS. The ones who don't want to go there stay on the streets by choice. I'd prefer my assistance go to the ones who are trying to help themselves.

Old 11-03-2014, 08:52 PM

4,977 posts, read 5,729,623 times
I donate to the local food shelf and the local shelter. I refuse to give anything directly to panhandlers, beggars, etc. If they need something, they can go to the shelter or food shelf.

Old 11-03-2014, 09:07 PM

18,073 posts, read 18,703,664 times
Quote:
I do because it is now more difficult to avoid homelessness and hunger than it has ever been before.
Really? More than ever? In all of the history of the US?

Quote:
There are homeless children in this country that somehow still manage to get to school and that's at all levels from pre-school to college. That is WRONG.
It is wrong they still manage to get to school? Or that they are homeless? Or both?

Quote:
The local Food Banks where I live are mostly empty now because of cuts to SNAP, food stamps, and now there are more people than ever before having to go to the Food Banks because they no longer can get enough food stamps.
Food stamps are "assistance" not for sole support, I guess you do not understand this. A whole whopping $30 a month was cut for a family of three, not exactly deep cuts, especially give it is a supplemental assistance program, not intended to be the only means of getting food.

Quote:
Homelessness is a whole other story and it is a real shame that ANYONE should be homeless in this day and age.
Yes, but most of those chronic types are there by choice, they have mental/drug issues, and is a result of the "big bad federal government" actually turning over mental health responsibilities to the states, in which many states failed miserably at.

Quote:
Solution is to raise taxes on the rich. A small percentage of people on this planet control most of the wealth. There is definitely something very wrong with that. Time for a change.
Oh goodness, I knew this one was coming, no post like this ever goes without the mandatory tax increase proposal and the "rich people are evil" rant. What, are the billions pumped into homeless programs not enough? Has a homeless issue anywhere ever actually been solved? (besides shipping them somewhere else).

Old 11-04-2014, 12:48 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,811,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post

Oh goodness, I knew this one was coming, no post like this ever goes without the mandatory tax increase proposal and the "rich people are evil" rant. What, are the billions pumped into homeless programs not enough? Has a homeless issue anywhere ever actually been solved? (besides shipping them somewhere else).
It never ends. Liberalism is like, the OPPOSITE of reality.

BTW, "substance abuse" is now considered a "disorder".

Quote:
In 2002 President George W. Bush increased funding for community health centers. The funding aided in the construction of additional centers and increased the number of services offered at these centers, which included healthcare benefits.

In 2003, the New Freedom Commission on Mental Health, established by President Bush, issued a report. The report was in place to "conduct a comprehensive study of the United States mental health delivery system..."

Its objectives included assessing the efficiency and quality of both public and private mental health providers and identifying possible new technologies that could aid in treatment. As the 20th century came to a close and the 21st century began, the number of patients diagnosed with a mental health or substance abuse disorder receiving services at community mental health centers grew from 210,000 to approximately 800,000.

Community mental health service - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 11-04-2014, 07:04 AM

2,062 posts, read 2,530,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TotallyTam View Post
Perhaps some of the golf courses need to close down and be rebuilt into homeless shelter communities. Now that would be putting good use to this land!
I actually like that idea. I tried those child's golf games many years ago and I was terrible at it lol. I have never tried adult golf at all would probably be even worse.

I just want the homeless to have a place out of the cold. A safe, clea,n warm place. I think it is cruel to make it illegal to be homeless. Some people fall on hard times. Harassing and arresting them is not the answer.

Old 11-04-2014, 07:18 AM

6,367 posts, read 6,225,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
It never ends. Liberalism is like, the OPPOSITE of reality.

BTW, "substance abuse" is now considered a "disorder".

Community mental health service - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Nice try, but no. Bush may have started some of the initiatives but he *defunded* what he started. And then his administration made the numbers all pretty by including substance abuse. I speak as someone who has knowledge beyond the world of Wikipedia as i was actually working in homeless services at the time and saw the budget (based on this wonderful new program) go from stable to layoffs.

Cuts in Federal Housing Assistance Are Undermining Community Plans to End Homelessness — Center on Budget and Policy Priorities

Not to mention that this was a pith compared to all of the homeless and mental health services Regan destroyed.

*sigh*
There is "Conservatives reality" and then "everyone else's reality."

Conservatives live in like, the OPPOSITE of reality.

(Republican: Reality
as
Cupcakes: Nutrition)

Old 11-04-2014, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I agree. In Redding, there are signs that say "Please don't feed the problem." What they say is to please not give anything, especially money to the homeless. Give to the shelters and charities instead.

There are a lot of homeless in Redding, and a lot of them hang around downtown where I live. My experience is that most of them are young able-bodied people, and I believe they choose this vagabond lifestyle.

There are mentally ill, of course, and like harlowvart said, you can't force them to take their meds and behave well enough to get into the free housing that would be available to them, through their SSI and subsidized housing, numerous charities, etc., etc.

But, I really believe this is a growing sub-culture in America. And communities are supporting them. You wouldn't believe the resources in Redding for the homeless. At least a half dozen food giveaways, the mission with free hot meals every day, free healthcare via a special medical bus that will ONLY serve the homeless, handouts for you-name-it by the Salvation Army and many others.

The communities who have little to no resources for the homeless are the smart ones, in my opinion. Because if you build it, they will come. There is an entire homeless/vagabond grapevine. They know where the towns with the good stuff, and the easy targets are.

There's a pricey steak house across the street from my senior apt bldg, and I was walking my dog the other day, and these two nicely dressed ladies came out of the steakhouse and this filthy young homeless guy (who didn't look or act crazy) asked them if he could have their leftovers! The older woman (looked like a mom and adult daughter) was holding her take-out box. She said no, but looked afraid. I grabbed my phone in case he pushed it, after he hesitated a moment. He saw me watching and walked on.

As I type there's a homeless guy with his shopping cart sitting on the park bench under my window. I think he spent the night there, and will have to see if he does it again tonight. The cops won't make them move along if they're just hanging out on the public bench, but they aren't allowed to "camp." So, it's tricky for the cops to legally get them to move away.

But, apparently the word has gotten out to his homeless buddies that he is camped out on my street, because his buddies keep coming by to hang out.

My apt bldg happens to be between a park where they often sleep and the mission which feeds them, so I'm on the homeless expressway here. They hit me up all the time.

I have various ways of responding. Sometimes I ignore them and keep walking. Sometimes I smile and shake my head. Sometimes I say, "No, supporting you is not in my budget." Depends on my mood.

But, most of them are collecting SSI, and even if you are homeless, I think they still get around $600 per month. You can see them all lined up on payday at the bank kitty corner to my bldg. What do they do with that money? And then they beg people for their leftover steak and cash, and get free meals, etc., etc., etc.

Anyway, I know some are mentally ill and have no other options. But, this article seems to be talking about people who are working, etc., etc., who can't pay rent and that's why they're on the street. I disagree.

At the mission here in Redding, for example, they can stay for 30 days for free. If during that time, they make a real effort to find a job, the mission will let them stay longer. When they actually find a job, the mission will let them stay even longer, and let them save up their money for deposits, etc. There are also charities which will provide security deposit money. There is HEAP, which will pay their electric bills. The mission will also get them alcohol/drug counseling.

These people are not without options - if they truly want to get off the streets and clean up their act. There are seniors in my subsidized building who were formerly homeless and helped by the mission. They were the ones who pointed out the homeless waiting for the bank to open on payday. They told me most of them are on SSI. They probably get around $600/month and have no bills. I get $877/month SSI and pay $350 for rent, my own electricity, car insurance, etc., etc. They have WAY more disposable money than I do.

So, sure, give money to the shelters or the charities who help the truly mentally ill, etc. But, I no longer believe that most of these people are truly helpless. I think we are enabling their vagabond lifestyle and I'm personally disgusted by it.

Okay I'm done.

Thank you for your long reply. Yes there are some people who are homeless who seem to choose that lifestyle. But it is more complicated then that. Many apartments have income requirements you have to make a certain amount of money for them to accept you and the amount they receive may be too low. They may also have to come up with first last and security and all that.They could maybe rent a room in someones home but if they are a couple or a woman with a child it is less likely someone will rent to them or they raise the price so high it is unaffordable. The waiting list for subsidized housing is very long and in the meantime where are they going to go ?

And if they do not have social security ( the waiting list is also long for that and many are turned down ). They could go years waiting for that money , I have seen older women for instance with health problems and no place to go . They cannot get hired and they have no trustworthy loving family to help them. I have seen men with children who have a criminal past and want a second chance but are not given it due to their past mistakes and cant find a job.

Some of these homeless shelters are awful places and they have limited space some also are not free they do charge money that a homeless person may not have , also if even if they are free there may try to get in and there is no room.

Yes there are people who say they want food with those signs who have plenty to eat from food banks and food stamps and will spend the money in bad ways , and yes there are some on the street who could be in an apartment and who knows why they are not but there are also those who genuinely need the help. They are treated by their families and friends like an unwanted burden and not offered any help. Or they do not have any decent family or friends. They are scared and despairing and tired . Feeling hopeless and unloved and have a low self esteem. They deserve help .

Last edited by vanguardisle; 11-04-2014 at 07:42 AM..

Old 11-04-2014, 07:34 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,360,324 times
This is from the Onion, but I feel it's pretty apt in this thread:

Homeless Child Apparently Unaware He Lives in Nanny State

Old 11-04-2014, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkarch View Post
Here's the thing - cities like Seattle have huge resources aimed at supporting the homeless population, and there are still a TON of homeless people here.

A lot of the homeless are in that situation because they can't or don't want to deal with the restrictions housing programs force on them - it's not that housing isn't available anywhere.

I'd ask what you propose to do with the people who are homeless that can't or don't want to follow the rules required to get housing? "No rules" housing? Designate buildings where drugs are freely sold and fighting, stealing, vandalism, arson and other "petty" matters are not a cause for eviction? Even the current buildings with loose restrictions on substance abuse generally do not allow residents to beat and rob each other, rip out walls, cook meth and set fires. This disqualifies a large number of the people living on the street. People that have already had plenty of housing options available but for whatever reason found the setting too restrictive.

I'm not painting with a broad brush, some people really do need and benefit from assistance. What I don't agree with is the idea that 'ANYONE' being homeless is a problem in itself that is necessarily due to lack of resources. It completely ignores the group that will attempt to destroy any structured environment they're placed into. What about them?

Thank you for your reply. Criminals and people who are out of control are a different story I guess. Still I do believe that anyone deserves a warm blanket and safe place to sleep. It may help to try and figure out why they are behaving that way and help them to behave better and change their direction in life? Maybe counseling services?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics