Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2014, 11:59 PM

3,022 posts, read 2,273,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlemagic View Post
1. Raising the min wage still will not make it a living wage.

2. politicians are pandering with this when in reality they should be creating new industries and higher paying jobs or lightening regulation so private industry can. look at what fincen and the gov are doing to bitcoin entrepreneurs and other payment companies and you'll see what I mean. Paypal almost never came to be because of stupid regulation.

3. Not all jobs are worth min wage

4. Min wage raises will cause min wage services to go up and min wage employees will be no better off b/c they will be paying higher prices
1.Maybe if it does not go up a lot but even if it only goes up a little it is going to help a poor person have more money to pay rent or not get their electricity turned off.

2. Agree with this but am not sure this will happen because it seems most politicians are only looking out for themselves and the 1%.

3. If a job is not worth min wage it should not exist or it should be volunteer work. Having a job exist that is not worth min wage is not worth a person working that job.

3. How much will it make prices go up is the real question. From the many studies I have seen not that much if you do not raise it to much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2014, 12:30 AM

3,022 posts, read 2,273,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DataWarehouse View Post
I object to raising the min wage federally. There are areas where the dollar is worth more and cost of living is cheaper. In NYC it would not change things, but in Alabama it's going to close businesses.
Even in low cost areas you are really can not make it on min wage without help from the government. If a business can only pay someone a slave wage then that job does not need to exist.We are letting businesses getting away with paying low wages and our taxes are paying for them.,

Old 11-18-2014, 08:42 PM

131 posts, read 139,336 times
Bradpiff "For raising the MW

Where is the law that says I as a taxpayer should be footing the bill to help support the millions of workers that corporations don't want to pay decently enough so that I don't have to? Especially since those same corporations not only get insane tax favors from the government, but also get to ship out more jobs overseas while doing it?

These corporations don't want to pay workers because its not a law that they pay their employees enough so that they aren't starving? Fine. Tax the hell out of them and let the government use that money to sustain their workers. But they can't play it both ways, using the law as a shield to say they can do whatever they want in their business, then turning around and using the same laws to sustain their business."
__________________________________________________ _______________________________________________

Bradpiff, you do realize that taxes on a corp are passed off to the consumer, so the consumer would be paying higher prices, right?

Old 11-19-2014, 02:05 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,403,886 times
Quote:
I object to raising the min wage federally. There are areas where the dollar is worth more and cost of living is cheaper. In NYC it would not change things, but in Alabama it's going to close businesses.
No, it won't.

Alabama will never raise the minimum wage if the Fed doesn't mandate it. Conservative states have a history of being ass backwards politically. Their low income residents don't have any political power.

Old 11-19-2014, 04:26 PM

18,547 posts, read 15,581,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pickledpainter View Post
Bradpiff "For raising the MW

Where is the law that says I as a taxpayer should be footing the bill to help support the millions of workers that corporations don't want to pay decently enough so that I don't have to? Especially since those same corporations not only get insane tax favors from the government, but also get to ship out more jobs overseas while doing it?

These corporations don't want to pay workers because its not a law that they pay their employees enough so that they aren't starving? Fine. Tax the hell out of them and let the government use that money to sustain their workers. But they can't play it both ways, using the law as a shield to say they can do whatever they want in their business, then turning around and using the same laws to sustain their business."
__________________________________________________ _______________________________________________

Bradpiff, you do realize that taxes on a corp are passed off to the consumer, so the consumer would be paying higher prices, right?

Lack of taxes on a corporation are also passed to the consumer, in the form of increased personal or other taxes or reductions in future SS/Medicare benefits. There ain't no such thing as a free lunch!

Old 11-23-2014, 05:02 PM

4,792 posts, read 6,053,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
Lack of taxes on a corporation are also passed to the consumer, in the form of increased personal or other taxes or reductions in future SS/Medicare benefits. There ain't no such thing as a free lunch!
We're screwed no matter what??

Old 11-23-2014, 05:04 PM

4,792 posts, read 6,053,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
No, it won't.

Alabama will never raise the minimum wage if the Fed doesn't mandate it. Conservative states have a history of being ass backwards politically. Their low income residents don't have any political power.
Well, many conservative areas also have very low costs of living, as well. But minimum wage can't get you by in New York, even if it is $10/hr.

It's all about what you keep, not what you make. I'd rather make $18 an hour and spend $500 on rent than make $22 an hour and spend $900 on rent.

Old 11-23-2014, 07:40 PM

260 posts, read 326,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
No, it won't.

As far as I know, raising the Min wage in Alabama to the same level that it is in NYC, would close businesses in Alabama.

In good continence I can not approve a drastic federal mandate like that. If say they raise it by under a dollar to fight the inflation, that's one thing, but a mandate to raise to $10 will hurt straggling small business.

I really don't know the cost of living numbers and economic data about Alabama, so how can I make a choice for them ?

Old 11-23-2014, 07:59 PM

2,485 posts, read 2,218,248 times
Quote:
As far as I know, raising the Min wage in Alabama to the same level that it is in NYC, would close businesses in Alabama.

In good continence I can not approve a drastic federal mandate like that. If say they raise it by under a dollar to fight the inflation, that's one thing, but a mandate to raise to $10 will hurt straggling small business.

I really don't know the cost of living numbers and economic data about Alabama, so how can I make a choice for them ?
I think minimum wage should be set locally. I oppose a national minimum wage.

Raising the minimum wage doesn't necessarily help workers and businesses. It's good politics for the Democratic Party, but not good economics.

The democratic party's plan is to cheapen the low skill labor through immigration. One. These people will depend on them and be controlled by them. Two. The results help higher income people to lower the cost of living, which will increase income and wealth gaps. A higher minimum wage is canceled out by these forces.

Old 11-23-2014, 08:25 PM

260 posts, read 326,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Costaexpress View Post
I think minimum wage should be set locally. I oppose a national minimum wage.

Raising the minimum wage doesn't necessarily help workers and businesses. It's good politics for the Democratic Party, but not good economics.

The democratic party's plan is to cheapen the low skill labor through immigration. One. These people will depend on them and be controlled by them. Two. The results help higher income people to lower the cost of living, which will increase income and wealth gaps. A higher minimum wage is canceled out by these forces.

I am googling various economic maps and we still have area with unemployment over 25%. A raise in min wage on those areas would not help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics