Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2014, 05:34 PM

2,485 posts, read 2,217,930 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
I don't agree with every point, but this was an excellent post. The one thing I'd say about corporations is that they are just another vehicle used by a small elite to maintain power and control. The education system, organized religion, etc.....all are just vehicles. If we just isolate only one vehicle and identify it as the source of our problems, then we will be continually be manipulated as the elite will just re-emphasize or create some new vehicle to maintain power. This has already happened with organized religion. It used to have a lot more power in Western countries than it does now...but the elite have just shifted their methods of maintaining power to different vehicles in their power matrix.
I would like to see a definition of your elites. Who are these elites? Politicians? CEOs? Celebrities? Judges? Basically high positioned and high net worth people?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2014, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgn2013 View Post
The white working class is also apart of the Subsidy Class. Don't make the mistake of assuming that poor white people are somehow more noble than poor minorities. If they need food stamps and Medicaid, they'll apply for it and use it like anyone else.

Poor white people have avoided aligning themselves with blacks, since before the Civil War. The elite in both parties know this and have each used it in the past; first Democrats long ago and now Republicans more recently.
And having large mass of immigrants doesn't help ease that feeling. In fact, it's not just poor whites, but poor blacks who feel anxiety. For that matters it's also a good bit of the middle class now, as they are going down to the working class.

Old 11-23-2014, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgn2013 View Post
In my experience, blacks are actually more (socially) conservative than either Latinos or whites. White social conservatism is more about discomfort with race relations and less about religious fundamentalism and values. White conservatives want to use Latino's as a sort of "model minority" to juxtapose against blacks, since Asian numbers just aren't high enough. Latino's tend to become white people after several generations unless they live in strongholds like Texas, New Mexico etc., with long standing tradition and culture. The G.O.P. doesn't see much reason to woo blacks since they'd have to give up the Bubba vote...a losing proposition.
The republcians don't need the black vote because blacks aren't really a growing population. It's hispanics and Latinos that are growing and are very politically active.

The GOP certainly has a chance with asian voters. Don't forget that asian Americans have the highest median household income among all ethnic groups. Except for race, their social and cultural values are much closer to that of the right than the liberal Northern European left.

If the republcians are intelligent, they need to immediately work on their racial image.

Old 11-23-2014, 06:23 PM

5,252 posts, read 4,673,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
I don't agree with every point, but this was an excellent post. The one thing I'd say about corporations is that they are just another vehicle used by a small elite to maintain power and control. The education system, organized religion, etc.....all are just vehicles. If we just isolate only one vehicle and identify it as the source of our problems, then we will be continually be manipulated as the elite will just re-emphasize or create some new vehicle to maintain power. This has already happened with organized religion. It used to have a lot more power in Western countries than it does now...but the elite have just shifted their methods of maintaining power to different vehicles in their power matrix.
I'd absolutely agree on the point that the trail to the seat of power doesn't end at the corporate doorstep,and certainly not to be found in political circles. I've also thought that the organized forms of capital are simply the workhorses of that invisible class of rulers we never read or hear about. Your point regarding religion is well posited as an explanation for the shape changing aspects of power's various forms throughout history.

Old 11-23-2014, 06:26 PM

260 posts, read 326,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Costaexpress View Post
The republcians don't need the black vote because blacks aren't really a growing population. It's hispanics and Latinos that are growing and are very politically active.

The GOP certainly has a chance with asian voters. Don't forget that asian Americans have the highest median household income among all ethnic groups. Except for race, their social and cultural values are much closer to that of the right than the liberal Northern European left.

If the republcians are intelligent, they need to immediately work on their racial image.
The problem with Republicans is that they don't offer anything. What do they even stand for? Reps tend to speak with slogans that have little meaning.

So even while we are seeing fresh faces in the Republican party, we are hearing the same slogans.

Their "racial" image is just for us to poke fun at, but that party lacks substance to begin with. Outdated views and fear mongering.

We elected republicans in the resent elections so that they would keep the Dems that are in power in check, just so that Dems have some opposition.

But back to my question "What do Republicans offer ?" What do Reps stand for ?

Old 11-23-2014, 07:35 PM

719 posts, read 1,059,076 times
I think this thread makes our national politics way too complicated. I am a Democrat but one the Presidents I admire most is Dwight Eisenhower. All I want is a country that would be run the way President Eisenhower did where you had a fair balance (imo) between the government and business.

Now I have heard some Republican opinion makers try to revise history by saying that Eisenhower supported tax rates that were too high and that he was a soft New Dealer at heart.I just think that's just a symptom of how Libertarian todays Republican Party has become. Before Ronald Reagan Eisenhower was a symbol of the GOP and now he would be a raging liberal (Reagan wouldn't be far behind actually).

I fully understand that we are facing challenges that we didn't face in the 50s (automation being at the top of the list) but I would like to hear a rational reason why our policies today couldn't be similar to Eisenhower's(and I am not recommending that we go back to a 90% top tax rate ). We seem to be stubborn about admitting in this country that we have a demand problem.

Last edited by senecaman; 11-23-2014 at 09:00 PM..

Old 11-24-2014, 06:13 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,791,809 times
Romney actually won the white vote in 2012. He got about 60% of white men and 54% of white women. The Democrats no longer need the white vote to win. They've been trying to get to this point at least since 1960 and almost certainly earlier.

Old 11-24-2014, 07:21 AM

719 posts, read 1,059,076 times
Troyfan -Romney actually won the white vote in 2012. He got about 60% of white men and 54% of white women. The Democrats no longer need the white vote to win. They've been trying to get to this point at least since 1960 and almost certainly earlier.

Here in South Carolina Democrats have a solid base to work with, making up about 45 % of the electorate.For years people moving into the state were mainly retirees and military and the state went from blue ( blue in a southern Democrat way lol) to purple and then to red. Now as the state grows our cities get larger (Greenville , Columbia , Charleston) and have become much more diverse and they are able to attract a younger crowd. With our short winters and long summers SC will continue to attract people more diverse than in the past.Like other states in this past election Democratic policies were more popular than Democractic candidates (minimum wage increase, health care , job training).Younger people here are much more socially liberal than past generations (gay marriage is no big deal to them ) and like other places burdened with student loan debt.Will the state turn blue ?I don't know but over time I think the state will trend more purple especially if Democrats run candidates that can connect with younger people.

Old 11-24-2014, 11:49 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,676,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Costaexpress View Post

That's the problem though, that party is mostly made up of neaderthals and morons.

Old 11-24-2014, 12:05 PM

4,103 posts, read 5,423,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
It's not a claim, it's statistical fact.

Look at population movements/concentrations.

Hispanics are naturally conservative. But... The GOP doesn't make the party very welcoming to them. As for the rest, you're crazy.

Can't disagree with you there. Social issues are largely why I've turned against the GOP. They're a bunch of clowns that largely focus on social issues I don't care about.

- Gay Marriage: Beyond me why anyone cares. Has no impact on you.
- Gun Rights: Nobodies trying to take those away. A lot of liberals have guns too.
- Abortion: Same as gay marriage. It's their bodies. It's a personal choice.
- “The single most important thing we want to achieve is for President Obama to be a one-term president,” Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell. Seriously the GOP needs to just accept they lost to Obama and move on. Then... Maybe... The country will accomplish something. 6 years later still waiting for that.

I want to hear about actual, realistic economic issues. Policy issues. Enough of the song and dance.

As a side note, wouldn't hurt if they'd shun the illiterates like Steel and the "god father"
No the GOP has a problem with breaking the law, and a party that embraces illegal actions. And the dems have mastered the art of brainwashing. They keep yelling "republicans are racist and hate Hispanics" over and over until the Hispanics believe it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics