Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2014, 04:55 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,448,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
now that i want to see you prove to us

I proudly defer to the National Association of REALTORS:

The bottom line: It’s not the lifestyle choices but financial constraints that renters say keep them from purchasing a home in the future. More than half of renters recently surveyed said they do not intend to buy because they think they cannot afford it or their credit is not good enough, according to JCHS.

According to the research, the top 10 reasons renters give for not planning to buy in the future:
  1. Cannot afford the purchase or upkeep of a home
  2. Not good enough credit for a mortgage

Top 10 Reasons Renters Keep Renting | Realtor Magazine
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2014, 04:58 PM

106,610 posts, read 108,757,383 times
correct , all are reasons they are not eligible to be homeowners. they are once again the part of the renter group that has nooooooooooo choice. they will likely always be poor and in fact many were always likely poor. but what about the part of the group like myself and others with choices and who do invest elsewhere ? we are diluted by the fact many renters are renters because they have nooooooooo choice.

you cannot use the term renter as a catchall . there are very distinct groups in that term renter that are very different from each other unlike the term homeowner where the group has overall only those with the resources to buy in its term..

Old 12-02-2014, 04:59 PM

386 posts, read 327,102 times
They are in debt because they spent more money than they made.
They borrowed money.
They went to colleges that cost too much money for their budget.
They changed majors and went to stayed in college too long.
Poor work ethics and spoiled by parents.
Could not make sacrifices like using a bus or riding a bike instead of buying a car.
They majored in sociology, liberal arts, counseling, art, English, history,...

Old 12-02-2014, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
All people benefit from zoning laws, not only homeowners.

Thomas Sowell says zoning redistributes income from renters to owners.

That's a benefit to renters?

Being able to put only two unrelated renters in an 8BR house benefits renters?

Being prohibited by zoning from buying the guest house you are renting benefits renters?

Old 12-02-2014, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
A better solution is for them to accept responsibility for their own lives and circumstances, and do what it takes to stop being in a position of having little to no options. Of course, this is something which cannot be legislated, but rather something each person must choose to do.

Why can't homeowners just accept free markets? Why can't they allow everyone to have options?

We know that protectionist government import auto quotas are wrong, aren't government housing quotas also wrong?

The options available to a person should be determined by the private sector not by government.

Old 12-02-2014, 06:02 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,633,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Why can't homeowners just accept free markets? Why can't they allow everyone to have options?

We know that protectionist government import auto quotas are wrong, aren't government housing quotas also wrong?

The options available to a person should be determined by the private sector not by government.
You are focusing on the wrong things. Changing zoning laws will not help you. Only you can help you. Evil homeowners are not keeping you from having options; you are.

Old 12-02-2014, 06:08 PM

6,977 posts, read 5,705,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalam View Post

There's only one real reason, credit.

If there was no credit, people would be required to purchase goods and services with the cash they have on hand. Prices would be a LOT lower on everything if people were reqired to pay for things out of pocket.

Credit is a killer because it inflates everything, houses would be 1/5th to 1/10th of the price they are if people had to pay out of pocket with money they currently had.

So yeah, credit is crushing everyone.

Old 12-02-2014, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wall st kid View Post

If there was no credit, people would be required to purchase goods and services with the cash they have on hand. Prices would be a LOT lower on everything if people were reqired to pay for things out of pocket.

Credit is a killer because it inflates everything, houses would be 1/5th to 1/10th of the price they are if people had to pay out of pocket with money they currently had.

I can pay for a tent out of pocket.

Old 12-02-2014, 06:55 PM

7,899 posts, read 7,109,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wall st kid View Post

The price of a house includes the land, development with sewers, water and other utilities, drainage, roads, lots and lots of materials and lots of skilled labor. Without credit we would probably need to rent or if we tried to buy the house would indeed have to be something much less than we could afford with a mortgage. Instead of a 3-4 bedroom house we would end up with something that looked more like an efficiency apartment or a garage. Even that would be way more than 1/5 or 1/10th. Sorry, but not having money does not make prices any less.

Credit is not and has not crushed me. It allowed me to buy a nice house, get a tax benefit and build equity over years. I always maintained a large emergency fund and I never borrowed more than was comfortable and within my income.

The cost of borrowing is now extremely low. I was able to get a mortgage I did not need in order to invest that money and get a safe return of more than twice the cost of the mortgage. Credit is not crushing; it is actually incredibly cheap.

Old 12-02-2014, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
The price of a house includes the land, development with sewers, water and other utilities, drainage, roads, lots and lots of materials and lots of skilled labor. Without credit we would probably need to rent or if we tried to buy the house would indeed have to be something much less than we could afford with a mortgage. Instead of a 3-4 bedroom house we would end up with something that looked more like an efficiency apartment or a garage. Even that would be way more than 1/5 or 1/10th. Sorry, but not having money does not make prices any less.

Credit is not and has not crushed me. It allowed me to buy a nice house, get a tax benefit and build equity over years. I always maintained a large emergency fund and I never borrowed more than was comfortable and within my income.

The cost of borrowing is now extremely low. I was able to get a mortgage I did not need in order to invest that money and get a safe return of more than twice the cost of the mortgage. Credit is not crushing; it is actually incredibly cheap.

Only for those who can get it which probably is a minority right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics