Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2014, 07:17 AM

30,355 posts, read 19,128,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
The productivity of the American worker has been higher and higher every year. So arguably they are getting higher productivity today by far then they did 20 years ago.......IE higher value. And they are paying less for it.

You're trying to blame people who work hard for not being worth it, while reality demonstratively indicates they are worth more then ever.
Your pay is based roughly on your productivity. When I was younger and thought I wasn't getting paid my worth, I started my own company. Now I work for a consulting company that pays me enough to keep me from wanting to leave or start another company but I'm always cognizant that if I don't make or save my employer more than my cost, they will let me go.

I've worked all over the world and currently working in Peru....pay is tied to productivity and I see it everywhere I go....it's an economic law.

I became educated in knowledgeable about something that people are willing to pay for...take initiative and chart your own course, don't depend on others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2014, 07:21 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,443,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
You don't need to reverse high incomes, rather you need to reverse the low incomes. You do this by teaching values of work, ethics, education, training, and reducing drugs and watching reality tv. I'm fine with raising the minimum wage but if you aren't getting the value of the higher labor cost, you won't keep or expand the jobs base...so go back to my 2nd sentence.

What good is teaching the value of training to someone who cannot afford training?

Old 12-25-2014, 07:30 AM

18,547 posts, read 15,572,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
What good is teaching the value of training to someone who cannot afford training?
There are plenty of ways to liquidate assets in a storage unit to pay for it.

Old 12-25-2014, 11:43 AM

7,846 posts, read 6,401,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
flat tax. (10% sounds good!)

Work for your pay - ya don't work? You don't eat.

Use your energy trying to work instead of trying to get out of work.
We have enough people working that still need food stamps to eat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
I don't know what media you're referring to. It seems to me the mainstream media talk about inequality all the time.

The problem with capitalism as it is practiced in the US is that we don't actually have free market capitalism...we have Crony Capitalism aka "Cartel-ism". The two are not the same. Why do folks like you not ever seem to understand that very important distinction?????
We do. Capitalism is crony. Capitalism will never be truly free market. It always self-destructs. Greed is the human variable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post
The OP is so ridiculous I wouldn't even know where to begin
You can begin with posting about anything you have objection to. If you can't put it into words, you obviously don't have much to say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Your pay is based roughly on your productivity. When I was younger and thought I wasn't getting paid my worth, I started my own company. Now I work for a consulting company that pays me enough to keep me from wanting to leave or start another company but I'm always cognizant that if I don't make or save my employer more than my cost, they will let me go.

I've worked all over the world and currently working in Peru....pay is tied to productivity and I see it everywhere I go....it's an economic law.
Actually no.. your pay is not based on productivity. Your pay is based on your "market value" in a slanted market. You could make $30,000 / year and bring more value to the company through production. The reality is, the CEOs and guys on top are taking most of the cash. You get the leftover scraps for your "contribution."

Old 12-25-2014, 11:45 AM

7,846 posts, read 6,401,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
What part of people being poor do you not understand? Most poor people don't have much. How is liquidating assets one doesn't have help one pay for training?

Stop deflecting the greed. People of your ideology just don't want poor people to have an opportunity.

This world is all about money and power. People with power don't ever want to share. That's why the sentiment in the first world is that poor people can go **** off and die.

Old 12-25-2014, 01:04 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,443,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post

Except that the market for these iis so thin that a quick complete liquidation would probably bring no more than $2000 while sellng in smaller quantties onn a biig online venue like Amazon or eBay could bring at least $15,000 and possibly more than $20,000.

Old 12-25-2014, 01:22 PM

18,547 posts, read 15,572,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Except that the market for these iis so thin that a quick complete liquidation would probably bring no more than $2000 while sellng in smaller quantties onn a biig online venue like Amazon or eBay could bring at least $15,000 and possibly more than $20,000.
Ok, then take out a Sallie Mae loan for your training, and liquidate it slowly, paying the loan down as you sell the inventory off.

Old 12-25-2014, 01:32 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,352,042 times
I don't think inequality is necessarily the great Satan that it is usually assumed to be. Look at the income structure in Hollywood. You've got a fairly small group of people who can make millions per movie, and then a massive group of aspirants who can't even get work, and have to make a living by waiting tables. Same thing in the music industry.

I expect that inequality was far less in the 19th century, when all performances were live, and there were more opportunities for more artists. With the advent of recording came stupendous income inequality. But it also meant that now the average consumer had access to the greatest and most brilliant artists. So with the inequality also came a huge leap forward for the common person.

Old 12-25-2014, 01:36 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,352,042 times
One thing we could do to reduce inequality is stop having people send so much of their income to Washington DC, which is already the wealthiest region in the nation:

DC metro area is super-rich: 7 of the 10 ten counties are in the DC suburbs.

Old 12-25-2014, 01:39 PM

2,485 posts, read 2,217,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
We have enough people working that still need food stamps to eat.

We do. Capitalism is crony. Capitalism will never be truly free market. It always self-destructs. Greed is the human variable.

You can begin with posting about anything you have objection to. If you can't put it into words, you obviously don't have much to say.

Actually no.. your pay is not based on productivity. Your pay is based on your "market value" in a slanted market. You could make $30,000 / year and bring more value to the company through production. The reality is, the CEOs and guys on top are taking most of the cash. You get the leftover scraps for your "contribution."
Yes your pay is based in your market value which is supplying demand. So for those of you on the left good luck with bringing more immigrants to this country at all skill levels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics