Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2014, 10:48 AM

7,899 posts, read 7,108,628 times

Advertisements

I have a 20 something daughter and I know lots of her friends. Because of one of my hobbies I also have a bunch of the 20 something crowd who have asked to be a facebook friend. I know more about those Millennials than I care to know.

A few years ago when kids were graduating, not finding jobs and moving back home, I heard some complaints. Most of those complaints were about the downside of being an adult and living at home. Those days have past. Unemployment for those with college degrees has dropped to well under 5% nationally. Many of the Millennials have gotten really decent jobs with lots of opportunity for advancement. My daughter and many of her friends are pushing the 6 figure threshold.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2014, 11:17 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
Unemployment for those with college degrees...
...has never been a deep or long term concern.

UNDERemployment among this group however continues to be a concern.
It's a new phenomenon that our society and our economy hasn't reconciled to.

The real problem that the Millenials face though is the large number of no/low skilled
both from among their own generational siblings but also the parents of them.
MOST of this group will never likely to be able to provide for themselves on their own.

But because ALL of them will be looking to SS and Medicare and the twenty other assistance
programs that your (our) daughters, sons and their friends who are pushing that 6 figure threshold
will be left to pay for over the next fifty plus years... they'll have no choice but to pay the bill.

The ONLY chance that THEIR children, our grandchildren, will have is for us to somehow not
allow for yet another generational wave of this surplus population to regenerate.

Old 12-30-2014, 11:23 AM

1,584 posts, read 2,083,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Gordon View Post
That is a very interesting perspective considering I DO live in the bay area. Nonetheless I'm sure many others hear the hounding cries of "there are no jobs".
I was wondering to myself, "Why does the OP seem so condescending and pompous towards everyone, while doing nothing but sticking their alleged "achievements" that no one asked for down our throats in every post?"

I just got my answer, thanks.

Old 12-30-2014, 11:23 AM

1,774 posts, read 2,309,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
I wouldn't judge all old people. There are young people that are pathological liars as well. There was a thread not long ago where one young person went form being unemployed sleeping in his car to out earning his sister who had a college degree which stressed their relationship. In three days.
I just think it's weird these topics are so prevalent in online discussions.
I almost never think about stuff like millennials, or baby boomers, or generational stereotypes in general, or "thugs" or "hipsters" or any of that worrying about other groups of people type stuff. I'm usually thinking about stuff like work, or what to eat later, or whether or not my ex wife is going to murder me. Where does the concern about "millenials" come from? Fox News? Talk radio?

Old 12-30-2014, 12:01 PM

10,352 posts, read 7,977,886 times
No, they're not projecting, they're whining - which is something EVERY generation of 20 year olds has done throughout all of human history. Getting onto your feet as an independent adult has never been easy.

The only thing wrong with kids these days is that they're kids. And aging will take care of that soon enough. We oldsters should cut them some slack.

Old 12-30-2014, 12:01 PM

3,830 posts, read 4,661,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake744 View Post
I was wondering to myself, "Why does the OP seem so condescending and pompous towards everyone, while doing nothing but sticking their alleged "achievements" that no one asked for down our throats in every post?"

I just got my answer, thanks.
Lol.

Old 12-30-2014, 12:19 PM

2,020 posts, read 1,310,772 times
Dr Gordon (OP) said:
When the Millenials blame us, the older generation, for "ruining the economy" are they really projecting...
Their inner feelings of inferiority and their belief they won't live up to our goals or accomplishments?
-Dr Gordon PhD Clinical Psychology Class of 1963.

HyperionGap answers:
no

Dr Gordon:
State your case young man. So many millenials give up so young. When I was 25 and with a MBA in hand I was offered a job in senior management at IBM. You kids fail to make the world your oyster of opportunity and success.

-----------
My response.
Dr Gordon, you made an assertion with no evidence.
It is you that made the assertion, not HyperionGap nor the rest of us, so it is you that needs to provide the evidence that millennials in fact are blaming the older generation for present economic woes.
It is not up to us to do your work for you by offering either support or contradictions to your assertion. That is how science works, and that is how grownup discussions work.

Old 12-30-2014, 12:24 PM

3,830 posts, read 4,661,125 times
I tried to explain that to him. He posted some nonsense about his personal experience and talking with millennials. That's when I knew all his posts were fabrications and he's just trolling.

The guy is probably living off Medicare in some dumpy senior living place and just bitter about how much it sucks to be old. It's understandable, though. If I had to wear adult diapers and have some young person wipe the drool off my face every day I would be pretty pissed at the world.

Old 12-30-2014, 12:25 PM

31,002 posts, read 22,045,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I hear you, I worked for a car wash in my college years with my longest consecutive days worked being around 30 for them one summer. I've done farm work, mowed lawns....etc. so while I'm 44, I was definitely brought up "old school" if you will.

I currently have kids heading off to college soon and am having the same types of conversations with them. It's harder for them that it used to be but well...those are first world problems and they aren't going away.

So, I hear your points, they certainly aren't invalid but recognize that it is a much more competitive landscape than it once was.
"I worked for a car wash in my college years with my longest consecutive days worked being around 30 for them one summer. I've done farm work, mowed lawns....etc"

Xer here also and this was my upbringing as well. I learned it from my early Boomer parents: Work your ass off, make wise decisions, and get an education. My payoff was delayed by a few years because things weren't great when I got out of college, but persistence payed off in a poor economy.

The disrespect amongst some of the posters here is disappointing. Carte Blanche Disrespect of all older people and calling them names is a sign of poor upbringing and moral bankruptcy. Insulting all younger people falls under the same heading.

For real success all generations need to work hard and use their brains. The older generations seemed to work harder, but also had more oppurtunities. The more recent generations seem to have many oppurtunities, but they must work hard and longer to achieve them.

Old 12-30-2014, 12:30 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,880,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
No, they're not projecting, they're whining - which is something EVERY generation of 20 year olds has done throughout all of human history. Getting onto your feet as an independent adult has never been easy.

The only thing wrong with kids these days is that they're kids. And aging will take care of that soon enough. We oldsters should cut them some slack.
Then we'll have the next generation in about 15 years and start it all over again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics