Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2015, 10:38 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,579,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beera View Post
I have an MS, since graduating with my BS I have over 8 years of full time job experience related to my field.

I barely cleared $50k last year and I live in Southern CA. But yet I should be able to afford a home on that salary?

DH and I looked into buying a home recently and basically came to the conclusion unless we get a foreclosure that needs a lot of work extremely cheap, it's not going to happen. We decided to save our money (what would be a 20% down payment here) and move to his family's home state, where that amount would flat out buy a nice sized home.

Employers just don't care about their employees like they used to, the bar is continuously lowered. At one point I was making $12/hr PART TIME with an MS because I lost my previous job, that's DEPRESSING. Then when I found a full time job making $15/hr my employer acted SHOCKED I was leaving! REALLY?! Thanks for giving me a job but don't expect me to stick around making $960/month BEFORE taxes with rent that's $1300!

People aren't willing to negotiate anymore (I negotiated HARD for what I have now), people will take whatever, people are told to be "loyal" to companies that aren't loyal to them. You know what I get for loyalty after two years? No raise.

Then when people move around to get better salaries employers AND coworkers act like "how could you do that?" Which merely perpetuates people making less money. Out of all my coworkers I'm the only one who pushed for more money and I'm still not satisfied. The only reason I stick around now is because I don't want to start over somewhere with a newborn. My job gives flexibility because they know I work hard and allow me to set my own hours basically. I probably won't leave until my kid(s) hit elementary school.

What are your two degrees in ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2015, 11:27 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,389,117 times
Agree. I don't like Millennials in general.

I think the majority of their faults are due to a major lack of tact and situational awareness.

They can go the best schools and get the best degrees, but if they play on their cell phone in a job interview or wear sneakers (when a suit should be worn) it's game over.

Old 01-02-2015, 03:14 AM

15,216 posts, read 30,553,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelers1523 View Post
OP is the biggest troll ever. I bet he walked 20 miles in the snow to school, as well.
Uphill. Both ways.

The boomer generation coming in control was the end of any sort of sense of social responsibility employers had. They oversaw the completion of a consumer society that barely manufactures anything. Outsource, downsize, then fatten salaries for the few people left at the top. Born into the most prosperous point of this country's history, came of age in the 60s doing drugs and dodging the draft, then entered political power where they passed laws that systematically screwed anyone over who was caught with a joint, and entered into elective military conflicts overseas that we'll never be able to pay for, that their children will never fight in. The biggest "me" generation there ever was.

It was their generation that decided some 20-25 years ago that everyone needed to go to college. Now, this surely sounded noble, but the truth is that college isn't for everyone. Even if it was, if everyone had a college degree, it just becomes another high school diploma. Most of all, we can't all be mid-level corporate managers. Blue-collar professions were not something to aspire to. As a result, trade schools weren't pushed. No, take this high school graduation plan which you need for the best colleges to consider accepting you!

And, while you're at it, take all these standardized tests that we'll drill you on for years that cover what you should've already learned by now, and in no way prepares you for college. It's important, though, because we're holding your school's funding hostage over how well you do, and we'll have the state take it over if enough of you do poorly! We'll make sure that test is the only thing your school cares about!

It was their generation that passed laws like the Higher Education Act which later, thanks to one Rep. Mark Souder of Indiana, withdrew financial aid for any student convicted of a drug crime, no matter how minor.

Here, son, this dope can ruin your life. So, to reinforce that, we'll take the most affirmative steps possible to make sure your life is ruined, you don't get an education and you'll never get a good job. Ingenious.

But really, I probably shouldn't single them out that much. At one point, they were the long-haired hippies. Every older generation in history thought they were the best that ever happened, and that the "younguns" have no moral compass, work ethic etc.

Give it another decade or two and the people I grew up with can be just like them!

btw, I don't like people who play on their phones during job interviews any more than anyone else, and I own more than one suit. Thanks, and have a nice day.

Old 01-02-2015, 07:49 AM

1,600 posts, read 1,888,482 times
One thing is for sure: the "millennial" generation hasn't screwed anything up since it is now barely entering in the job world.
To put in a historical way:those who were 20 in 1939 were about to fight in a war which the older generations had to be blamed for.

Old 01-02-2015, 03:24 PM

2,485 posts, read 2,218,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
Uphill. Both ways.

The boomer generation coming in control was the end of any sort of sense of social responsibility employers had. They oversaw the completion of a consumer society that barely manufactures anything. Outsource, downsize, then fatten salaries for the few people left at the top. Born into the most prosperous point of this country's history, came of age in the 60s doing drugs and dodging the draft, then entered political power where they passed laws that systematically screwed anyone over who was caught with a joint, and entered into elective military conflicts overseas that we'll never be able to pay for, that their children will never fight in. The biggest "me" generation there ever was.

It was their generation that decided some 20-25 years ago that everyone needed to go to college. Now, this surely sounded noble, but the truth is that college isn't for everyone. Even if it was, if everyone had a college degree, it just becomes another high school diploma. Most of all, we can't all be mid-level corporate managers. Blue-collar professions were not something to aspire to. As a result, trade schools weren't pushed. No, take this high school graduation plan which you need for the best colleges to consider accepting you!

And, while you're at it, take all these standardized tests that we'll drill you on for years that cover what you should've already learned by now, and in no way prepares you for college. It's important, though, because we're holding your school's funding hostage over how well you do, and we'll have the state take it over if enough of you do poorly! We'll make sure that test is the only thing your school cares about!

It was their generation that passed laws like the Higher Education Act which later, thanks to one Rep. Mark Souder of Indiana, withdrew financial aid for any student convicted of a drug crime, no matter how minor.

Here, son, this dope can ruin your life. So, to reinforce that, we'll take the most affirmative steps possible to make sure your life is ruined, you don't get an education and you'll never get a good job. Ingenious.

But really, I probably shouldn't single them out that much. At one point, they were the long-haired hippies. Every older generation in history thought they were the best that ever happened, and that the "younguns" have no moral compass, work ethic etc.

Give it another decade or two and the people I grew up with can be just like them!

btw, I don't like people who play on their phones during job interviews any more than anyone else, and I own more than one suit. Thanks, and have a nice day.

Baby boomers are one of the most educated generations in American history, but they are also one of the most ignorant. Their degrees do not equate intelligence. They fooled their own children. They built freeways, parking lots, and malls and used them. They moved to suburbs to escape urban problems. They offshored jobs, closed factories. They put their kids in debt. They told them they could be anything ey want to be, but be prepared to fund it with a lifetime of debt.

Old 01-02-2015, 04:23 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,553,434 times
Next, let's blame the unborn generation 60 years from now who will still be paying for their wars and bank bailouts.

Old 01-02-2015, 08:55 PM

3,190 posts, read 3,184,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalorian View Post
Agree. I don't like Millennials in general.

I think the majority of their faults are due to a major lack of tact and situational awareness.

They can go the best schools and get the best degrees, but if they play on their cell phone in a job interview or wear sneakers (when a suit should be worn) it's game over.
You sound like an old fogey.

These kids, with their face books and yogurt in tubes... they'll ruin the country because they're lazy and stupid...

Guess what, gramps? Old people have been saying this about younger generations since Socrates.

Old 01-03-2015, 04:27 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,799,572 times
Young people need to organize and be involved and reach out to others, both young and old, who share common goals. They can join and start clubs, organizations and associations that have a mission for advancing changes, promoting their cause or interests. Millenials have grown up with technology and are advid users of social media. They can passionately find a way to utilize these resources for social improvement. However, it takes time, energy and there are no guarantees. The silent generation wasn't actually so silent as they joined unions and used their collective voices and voting blocks to make changes to labor laws that led to improved wages, working conditions and workers' rights. It can still be done. It requires people stepping outside of themselves and working toward a common societal goal even when it might go against one's self interest.

Old 01-03-2015, 08:48 AM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,733,179 times
The population of both the Baby Boomers and the Millennials are the same, but for different reasons, and this has probably put some sort of limit on the economy (different reasons different times). The Millennials are a more diverse group ethnically (and should somewhat be proud of that fact), fertility rates were higher (approximately 70% higher) from 1946 to 1964, but due to immigration growth since 1964 the Millennials have seen a drastic increase in population (the highest of which is of Hispanic origin, roughly 20%).

Old 01-03-2015, 09:25 AM

18,547 posts, read 15,581,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
The population of both the Baby Boomers and the Millennials are the same, but for different reasons, and this has probably put some sort of limit on the economy (different reasons different times). The Millennials are a more diverse group ethnically (and should somewhat be proud of that fact), fertility rates were higher (approximately 70% higher) from 1946 to 1964, but due to immigration growth since 1964 the Millennials have seen a drastic increase in population (the highest of which is of Hispanic origin, roughly 20%).
"Race" does not exist.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race_(human_classification)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics