Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2014, 08:17 AM

2,054 posts, read 2,566,483 times

Advertisements

God, this thread is a waste of time. I hate that I even posted this to state that fact, but it needed to be done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2014, 08:19 AM

18,547 posts, read 15,570,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Gordon View Post
Their inner feelings of inferiority and their belief they won't live up to our goals or accomplishments?
-Dr Gordon PhD Clinical Psychology Class of 1963.
Any answer is bound to be a blanket statement that doesn't fairly take specifics into consideration. It's one thing to point out that the burden of the escalating national debt will largely fall on younger generations; that of course is not a reason to be lazy and not try to advance one's career.

The hyperpolarization of American politics is out of control. The Right thinks that everything is about the individual, the Left thinks it's all social. There are fewer and fewer politicians promoting moderate views that have a healthy combination of individual and group-oriented economic considerations.

Old 12-30-2014, 08:27 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,031,245 times
I think it's kind of funny we broke it, they probably wouldn't have known what to do anyways because they didn't apply themselves in school and fried their brains on synthetic drugs and tiny video screens.

Old 12-30-2014, 08:58 AM

28 posts, read 39,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
Any answer is bound to be a blanket statement that doesn't fairly take specifics into consideration. It's one thing to point out that the burden of the escalating national debt will largely fall on younger generations; that of course is not a reason to be lazy and not try to advance one's career.

The hyperpolarization of American politics is out of control. The Right thinks that everything is about the individual, the Left thinks it's all social. There are fewer and fewer politicians promoting moderate views that have a healthy combination of individual and group-oriented economic considerations.
Obviously it is very general. Not all millennials are like this but a significant portion are. In my generation almost everyone proved to be effective and honest members of society.

Old 12-30-2014, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangenj View Post
I'm a 26-year-old Millenial and this made me laugh out loud. The oldest Baby Boomers are approaching 69, and the youngest just turned 50 this year. In 15 years, when you are of age to become president (after all, 35 is the minimum age), the oldest surviving Boomers will be in their mid-80s, while the youngest will be close to hitting full Social Security retirement age. Nice try, though.
I never said I was a baby boomer. I am a member of the silent generation.

Old 12-30-2014, 09:12 AM

5,252 posts, read 4,671,947 times
The generational warfare here seems to be part of the age old dynamic of passing on the torch, native American history is replete with the battles for supremacy between the old and young. I personally think we've all made too much of each generations trials and tribulations. Life has been going on with the old dying off and the young taking their place, and not much has been gained by noting the differences between the generations with regard to how each handles their inherited situation.

Old 12-30-2014, 09:49 AM

78,326 posts, read 60,517,579 times
Quote:
State your case young man. So many millenials give up so young. When I was 25 and with a MBA in hand I was offered a job in senior management at IBM. You kids fail to make the world your oyster of opportunity and success.
I'm neither a millenial nor a boomer so here goes.

Nobody "wrecked" anything but yes, the boomer generation had it much easier and here is why.

The 1950's-60's and even past that were abnormally prosperous years for the US as much of the modern world at the time was rebuilding from war and we were providing steel, cars, tractors and a host of other goods around the world.

My relatives working at a Steel mill in the early 1970's were making 40k a year which adjusted for inflation is well up over 100k a year...in small-town USA. Not bad for a highschool education huh?

Now you have way more competition for not only manufacturing jobs which have largely gone overseas but also for technical jobs from BOTH overseas and the emergence of more women in the workforce competing for highly educated positions.

So basically, you have too much whining from some millenials....and you have a clueless worldview from some old-farts that don't understand global competition.

Quick question, where were all the computer chips etc. made when you got your job at IBM? Where are they made now?

Old 12-30-2014, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I'm neither a millenial nor a boomer so here goes.

Nobody "wrecked" anything but yes, the boomer generation had it much easier and here is why.

The 1950's-60's and even past that were abnormally prosperous years for the US as much of the modern world at the time was rebuilding from war and we were providing steel, cars, tractors and a host of other goods around the world.

My relatives working at a Steel mill in the early 1970's were making 40k a year which adjusted for inflation is well up over 100k a year...in small-town USA. Not bad for a highschool education huh?

Now you have way more competition for not only manufacturing jobs which have largely gone overseas but also for technical jobs from BOTH overseas and the emergence of more women in the workforce competing for highly educated positions.

So basically, you have too much whining from some millenials....and you have a clueless worldview from some old-farts that don't understand global competition.

Quick question, where were all the computer chips etc. made when you got your job at IBM? Where are they made now?
Well the USA of course. We make the finest products in the world. Although I was a VP it was not my decision to change the location of production.

Old 12-30-2014, 09:53 AM

21,824 posts, read 25,094,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rzzzz View Post
Is this really what old people think about?
I wouldn't judge all old people. There are young people that are pathological liars as well. There was a thread not long ago where one young person went form being unemployed sleeping in his car to out earning his sister who had a college degree which stressed their relationship. In three days.

Old 12-30-2014, 09:56 AM

78,326 posts, read 60,517,579 times
Quote:
Obviously it is very general. Not all millennials are like this but a significant portion are. In my generation almost everyone proved to be effective and honest members of society.
I have relatives in San Fran and it might be coloring your perception a bit. They have a reputation for a lot of wealthy, lazy slackers whose parents were hard working and successfull enough to be aford to live there.

Kinda like when you look at successful hollywood types and then their kids are train-wrecks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics